Cavman138's PolarKraft 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman138

Reaction score
After viewing several different builds on here I started my project. I have a 16' Polarkraft that has a 72" beam. I scored about 110 feet of 1"x2"x1/8" aluminum tubing along with another 10 feet of 2x2x1/8 angle from a scrapyard for very little money. I have started building the front deck. Just been working on it on a couple of weekends and made a little progress. When Its done it will have plenty of storage along with a rod locker, on board charger, livewell-that I got for free, and a few other options. I will try to post some pictures soon to show you guys how its going. I got some great ideas from the guys on here. Won't be long before I finish the metal work on the front deck and move to the back. Rivets have saved my life so far. Can't wait to get started on the plywood work and move on to the final touches with the carpet. Still have a long way to go. First day of spring is the goal to have her on the water. Not sure yet if that is attainable.

Here are the pics of the boat itself. Others coming

Attachments

• Polarkraft1.JPG
    Polarkraft1.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 15,751
  • Polarkraft2.JPG
    Polarkraft2.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 15,751
  • Polarkraft3.JPG
    Polarkraft3.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 15,751
Here are the pics of the front deck in progress. I have made more progress since these were taken. I've been working on it in my girlfriend's, brother in law's garage and keep forgetting to take more pics.

There ya go dyeguy1212, be patient my friend

Attachments

• front deck 1.JPG
    front deck 1.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 15,749
  • front deck 2.JPG
    front deck 2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 15,749
  • front deck 3.JPG
    front deck 3.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 15,749
I've recently been thinking about adding foam to my boat due to the added weight of the metal, plywood, livewell, etc. Is this something I should be concerned with? I have only removed a small amount to make some more room for my rod storage and may remove a little more in the front seat to add a storage compartment. Any thoughts?

cavman138 said:
I've recently been thinking about adding foam to my boat due to the added weight of the metal, plywood, livewell, etc. Is this something I should be concerned with? I have only removed a small amount to make some more room for my rod storage and may remove a little more in the front seat to add a storage compartment. Any thoughts?

Yes, you should add foam to make it unsinkable as well as achieve upright and level flotation according to USCG rags.

The formula:
Vessel weight / 60 = Cubic feet of foam

The foam weighs 2 pounds per cubic foot, water weighs 62 pounds per cubic foot, so the foam gives you 60 pounds of flotation for every cubic foot. So if your vessel weighs 200 pounds you will need 3.3 cubic feet of foam or, a one gallon kit.

200 / 60 = 3.3

The specs I quoted (60 pounds of buoyancy) are for Hi-Bond foam, which is what I use, your foam may be different.

Also, your plywood will give you some buoyancy as well, find the specs online to calculate your ply buoyancy and then subtract that from the overall amount of foam needed.

Rat said:
cavman138 said:

Yes, you should add foam to make it unsinkable as well as achieve upright and level flotation according to USCG rags.

The formula:
Vessel weight / 60 = Cubic feet of foam

The foam weighs 2 pounds per cubic foot, water weighs 62 pounds per cubic foot, so the foam gives you 60 pounds of flotation for every cubic foot. So if your vessel weighs 200 pounds you will need 3.3 cubic feet of foam or, a one gallon kit.

200 / 60 = 3.3

The specs I quoted (60 pounds of buoyancy) are for Hi-Bond foam, which is what I use, your foam may be different.

Also, your plywood will give you some buoyancy as well, find the specs online to calculate your ply buoyancy and then subtract that from the overall amount of foam needed.

I assume that vessel weight includes entire load including motors, gas, batteries, gear, and people (assuming you don't jump out of the boat before it sinks)?

270Handiman said:
I assume that vessel weight includes entire load including motors, gas, batteries, gear, and people (assuming you don't jump out of the boat before it sinks)?

Everything but people, they should have their own PFDs.

Here are the updated pictures of the front deck. This deck will include a rod compartment, tackle compartment and two other storage compartments. The last picture is of the rivets holding everything together along with the L brackets that I have had to cut from a piece of aluminum angle that I picked up at the same scrap yard I bought all the other metal. Rear deck update to follow.
Boat update 0071.jpg
Boat update 0141.jpg
Boat update 0151.jpg
Boat update 0281.jpg

After a move from my girlfriend's sister's garage into my own garage I was able to get started on the back deck. So far I have completed the part that is going in front of the bench seat.
Boat update 0171.jpg
This is just to show you where the livewell is going
Boat update 0181.jpg
Boat update 0231.jpg
Boat update 0301.jpg

Yes, in fact you should add more foam to compensate for the additional weight your adding to the boat.

Teh foam keeps the boat at surface level when completely full of water. This give you something to hang onto in case of emergency. If you exceed the foams abilities the boat will sink to the bottom of the lake and your going ot have to swim until your rescued or reach shore. In a big lake that could prove fatal, at night that could prove fatal, in cold water even close to shore that prove fatal. Teh foam is there to keep you alive in case of an accident.

If you dont add more foam you will need to reduce the amount of gaer/personal weight that the boat can safely handle, see above for why. Ths sole purpose of the foam is to make the boat float while filled with water so you dont have to swim for your life.