12 Foot Jon Mod, Grumman model 1237.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Reaction score
Close to Lake George, NY , Saratoga Lake.
100_6607.jpg

Well, I dragged the beast from the East in the garage, mice living in the seat flotation included....

The Boat has been living behind my house for over 10 years, It was used as a row boat in the NYC watershed ( Croton falls reservoir) mostly for Brown trouts in the spring.
I am going to try to Mod it nice but simple, something that works for me, the boat is not really ideal for some of the Lakes up here like Lake George etc , simply to short and low, but there are plenty of other waters, and the boat is free....Ideally I do a nice job, then sell and move up a notch, will see.

Will keep you guys posted...

The plans are simply carpeted floors raised 4 inches, middle bench cut out for storage with lid, an offset pedestal base right in front of the forward bench, decking the front flush, couple of seats, and of course paint. Maybe a livewell, if I feel brave...

So here I was first day on the job, first issue.... that bicycle padlock from Years ago, lost the key ages ago, if you fish the watershed NYC suburbs, you are required to leave the boat there at all times, so new boats had to have some extra serious locks and chains, cables etc, thieves galore, I never got one stolen, cable thru round hole corner transom, then into the bike lock etc used to own 4 boats, oh yeah you could only use it in one reservoir, so with 5 reservoirs around, a lot of people had 5 boats, row only. Back to the padlock, I thought I could cut it with the wheel, but it was snug in the groove, put plan B into action....View attachment 4

Then on to the middle seat, plan on doing one large door on top, I fish 90% times alone, second seatpost will be in front of bench, see mock 1x1

Removing the top I was flabergasted by the flotation, great shape, solid, I stand on it (220lbs) I thought it would be crumbled up... Its a 1985 model...

Any how its a start!!!

Looks like you have a great boat to start with Froggy, can't wait to see the mod start rolling along!

Made some headway the last couple of days, tested for leaks ( none) washed the interior, treated all Wood with Thompson's.100_6641.jpg

Ready for Sanding and prep.....

Attachments

• 100_6643.jpg
    100_6643.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 15,842
  • 100_6647.jpg
    100_6647.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 15,842
Thanks, just to clarifie why my tin has so many numbers in the back and sides, is because to fish in the NYC watershed, you are required to leave your tin on the shore at all times, no switching, so we cheat by moving them at night, change the number etc Each boat in each reservoir is issued a set of numbers, of course after 911 they actually started checking and going #-o what the ...... happened :LOL2:

Looks great, I love the color!

...And wow what a pain in the *** all those regulations you speak of. I might be missing something but I don't see the purpose of doing it like every other state and giving you one set of registration numbers and thats it except for well, trying to be a pain! One reason I'm glad I don't live there!

Allright! Painted the top with my trusty Wagner sprayer (best 70 Bucks ever spend) needs one more coat tomorrow and that is it, build a stand for my 1971 Evinrude Fisherman six, fixing something that has been laying in the backyard for over 15 Years... priceless, the ultimate recycling, this boat is 26 Years old!!! Ordered my HFraigt trailer today ( the only thing I could not find on CL) somehow never found a trailer deal, so HF it will be. Will keep you posted...100_6661.jpg

Attachments

• 100_6663.jpg
    100_6663.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 5,319

Latest posts