Mako18s 14ft V hull mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mako18

Reaction score
Finally I get to start my v hull mod!!! I got a rockin little boat I don't know the make or model since its titled with a flz prefix (homemade). I was hoping maybe you guys can give me an idea on this one? The title says 1960 but I doubt that is realistic. The boat measures exactly 13' 8" long and 5 ft wide at the stern the previous owner said it would draw 4 inch of water. I got the boat, life jacket, oars, clamp on lights, rebuilt trailer with fresh lights and wiring new bunks etc. running 8hp Johnson, 6 gal fuel tank with line, one seat, military compass (cool freebie!!) a few rods holders and a bunch of 2x4, 2x8 plasti-wood planks all for $500. The previous owner stripped the boat epoxied it and clear coated it he also cut the bench seats out. The clear coat is peeling but that is ok because I am making this boat MY boat and redoing it all.

I plan to add a casting deck, bow mounted foot controlled trolling motor, fish/depth finder, polling platform, storage and live well and all the necessary items to keep this thing safe and floating. My two main goals for this boat is keeping light and functional.

To start off the project I will build the interior framing, transom. Today I purchased 40 ft of 1-1/2x1/8 aluminum angle. The desk will be 3/8 plywood coated in fiberglass resin with fiber glass mating to add some strength. Later I may change it out for aluminum but I would like to keep the build cost reasonable and I would prefer to have other luxuries at this time.

Before I get crazy cutting into this beautiful aluminum angle I noticed while lurking on this site for the past two weeks some people use self tapers, rivets, even 2x2 wood framing with braces and wood screws. So I have some questions. I don't see any welding and am curious why? Is it the inability to weld or cost to higher a welder? Structurally wouldn't a weld be ideal assuming the design of the frame be properly triangulated and boxed? I understand a rivet would allow some min flex and movement and assume that this the goal? Hence is the reason why I see this practiced in the majority of the builds I have reviewed. I do not have any experience in riveting anything I understand the concept as it is quite simple. I can mig and tig weld so that is naturally my preferred choice when working with metal. Opinions?

Pics of boat coming asap!! As promissed..

Picture069-2.jpg

Picture070-1.jpg

Decided to use rivets to build the framing. I should get a good amount of work done to this thing over the weekend!!

Well I got a little work done today about 2 hours worth!! Its coming along as expected and since I didn't draw this out I am kinda surprised. Sorry for the night pics my camera took a crap and I had to use the wiff's. Ignore the plasti-board in the hull I was brain storming...

Picture076.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Picture073.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Looking good man. To me it looks like a Starcraft. I have a 1960 14' starcraft that has very similar dimensions. I am still in the building process with mine too. Check mine out if you need any ideas. Have you thought about rhino-lining the bottom or anything?

I did consider the rhino-liner or lizardskin still unsure. I want something lite in color for the interior even though most of it will be carpet. The hull will get a nice fresh coat of steel-flex. As far as color choices I haven't really gave it much thought. Starcraft is what I was thinking as well. Its also a 1960 according to the title. I will deff check out your boat.

I got a bit more framing done its almost complete. I know the progress is slow with only being able to do about 2 hours worth here and there. I will have her done soon enough I guess. I have already had an offer on it, sheesh!!

Here is more.

Picture092.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Picture086.jpg

I will take more pics of the framing since I got a bit ahead of myself and worked through without stopping for pics. Its all coming off to get glassed but first I got to figure out storage compartments.

Latest posts