new to the forum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southmsjonboat

Reaction score
Im new here. I currently have a small 12 ft old jonboat, but am in the market for a 14-16 footer to use for a conversion. Have already gotten many ideas off of this forum, just waiting to get a hold of the boat so I can put some of them to use. If I want to do full decking on the boat what is the narrowest width I can get away with. Never fishing more than two people if its a 14...never more than 3 with a 16. I weigh 155, and my usual fishing buddy weighs about 160. (if that matters).

Thanks,

Daniel

Welcome to the site! Ideas for your boat? We have lots and lots here :D

As far a width - go with the widest you can afford - that way there are no worries. Post up what you are considering and i am sure someone (or three) can help you out.

Thanks

im looking to spend as little as possible on the boat itself. whats the minimum width that yall would recommend for putting a deck on? whatever i get is going to be very used to say the least so i seriously doubt i stumble across someone trying to get rid of one of the extra wide ones. as far as gas vs electric, the boat will be electric for quite a while, until i find an outboard i can afford. unless i find a good priced combo that has boat and running outboard of course!

on a slightly different note, i have an ultra-cool 65qt ice chest i need to get cleaned up. its made by engel-usa out of jupiter, FL... what would yall suggest for getting it cleaned up and getting the stains out of it? its been sitting for quite a while and is very dirty to say the least.

southmsjonboat said:
im looking to spend as little as possible on the boat itself. whats the minimum width that yall would recommend for putting a deck on? whatever i get is going to be very used to say the least so i seriously doubt i stumble across someone trying to get rid of one of the extra wide ones. as far as gas vs electric, the boat will be electric for quite a while, until i find an outboard i can afford. unless i find a good priced combo that has boat and running outboard of course!

on a slightly different note, i have an ultra-cool 65qt ice chest i need to get cleaned up. its made by engel-usa out of jupiter, FL... what would yall suggest for getting it cleaned up and getting the stains out of it? its been sitting for quite a while and is very dirty to say the least.

I would use softscrub with bleach and warm water, and 1 of those 2 sided sponges with the hard green side on one side and sponge on the other.

I would try a spot clean in an area that you don't normally look at first to see that it does not screw it up in anyway.

Welcome! Good luck with the boat. Wider would be better. Many nice mods have been done to jons with 36" width, however if you are going to use the boat on rougher water or where there is a lot of power boat traffic I would suggest going wider.

this boat will be used almost exclusively on small lakes/large ponds and the occasional river/creek run...unless i get the urge to do some shallow water flats fishing but i plan to get a slightly larger boat in the next two years to setup for flats fishing...right now im on an extremely tight budget with this build thats why i cant be that picky on the boat width

Like I said in my mail, watch my video of 14 ft jon boat with 38 inch bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYnXMhBb3xI and check out my build up post for photos.

I assume you are going to always trailer this boat since you are doing a conversion, if so I'd try to buy a boat like WaterWing's 2008 Lowe 1652VT Roughneck, not much one needs to do with it beside install motors and go fishing photos are in his gallery on the site.

Welcome Aboard! You'll find a great group of members here. As suggested, take a look at pbw's video and the pics in his gallery. He's done a great job. Other builds going on in the site also, with some good ideas that can be adapted for different boats. :)

Latest posts