16ft Mirrocraft V-hull build!!**Finished!!!**

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
moberg12

16ft Mirrocraft V-hull build!!**Finished!!!**

Post by moberg12 »

That is how she sits today in my carport. I bought this boat about 3 years ago with plans to make it a nice simple fishing boat. Well it sat in my yard for about two months before I put it in storage where is has been until Yesterday 8-1-10. My dad lit a fire under my A** when he said to get the darn thing out of his storage facility so he could rent the spot to someone willing to pay him 8). The boat is a 16ft mirrocraft V not sure of the year.

Well after getting the boat home yesterday I googled images of Mirrocraft boats and that led me to this site. You guys have given me some very good ideas thank you. Plans are to build front and rear casting decks with a open lower area in the middle of the boat. Bow mount trolling motor and probably a 15-20hp outboard out back. Here is a quick design I came up with using the picture in "devilmutt's" thread a little tweaked of course.

I'm thinking a dark blue on the outside of the boat and a light gray or khakis color on the inside. I'd do white on the inside but that would be tough on the eyes on a sunny day. The carpet for the decks I was thinking dark gray or dark blue

On to my questions:
1. Aluminum framing or wood? If wood how are you guys attaching the wood to the boat?
2. Do you think a 15-20hp outboard will handle the extra weight added to the boat?
3. fixing small holes in the boat left behind by the PO. Will Durafix work?

Thanks in advance guys.

I plan to completely strip the boat tonight so hopefully I'll have more pictures later.

Greg
Last edited by moberg12 on 01 Sep 2012, 22:07, edited 21 times in total.

devilmutt

16ft Mirrocraft V-hull build!!

Post by devilmutt »

YES!!! About time someone had a break dancing area. =D>
USMC 88-92
Semper Fi!

My Starcraft Seafarer build http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=13674

moberg12

Post by moberg12 »

Started stripping the boat to a blank hull tonight!!

crappy attempt at modding by one of the PO's

don't know what happened here

Transom needs lots of work

All Stripped!!!!

Pile of junk removed. BTW the console is in pretty good shape if anybody wants it, let me know!!

Forgot I bought these oh about 3 years ago

I need one more seat

Next step is to get a plug so I can fill the boat with water and check for leaks. Then the transom will need to be repaired. I might farm that out as I have a very reasonable welder near me that will be able to get it right so I won't ever have to mess with it again. Then I will begin building my decks and floor.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I'll have time to do any work on the boat. But I'm hoping to get it finished in time for a maiden voyage this year.

Greg

DaveInGA

Post by DaveInGA »

Greg,

Looks like you've got lots of potential there and have gotten a good start on turning the boat around. Congrats on a nice boat. I'd like to have one about like that.

One thing I noticed though is you've got an item that looks like it may have been a steering console for that boat at one time. The steering wheel is obviously shot, but it looks like you may have a good piece of aluminum attached to the bottom of that console.

Also, the console itself may come in handy if you can figure out how it was attached, reattach it and hook up steering or perhaps sell it to another boat builder for cash.

Just a couple suggestions.
Dave In Georgia
My Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 Restoration/Mod: http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=15343

moberg12

Post by moberg12 »

DaveInGA wrote:Greg,

Looks like you've got lots of potential there and have gotten a good start on turning the boat around. Congrats on a nice boat. I'd like to have one about like that.

One thing I noticed though is you've got an item that looks like it may have been a steering console for that boat at one time. The steering wheel is obviously shot, but it looks like you may have a good piece of aluminum attached to the bottom of that console.

Also, the console itself may come in handy if you can figure out how it was attached, reattach it and hook up steering or perhaps sell it to another boat builder for cash.

Thanks I think I'll be happy with the results.

If you look back through my last post you'll see I edited it to inform members here that the console is indeed in decent shape and that I'd let someone take it off my hands. For me I think a tiller arm is my best option. Seeing as the boat has no motor I'm gonna have to source one and tiller arms are cheaper.

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 »

moberg12 wrote:
DaveInGA wrote:Greg,

Thanks I think I'll be happy with the results.

If you look back through my last post you'll see I edited it to inform members here that the console is indeed in decent shape and that I'd let someone take it off my hands. For me I think a tiller arm is my best option. Seeing as the boat has no motor I'm gonna have to source one and tiller arms are cheaper.

Yea, the tiller option will allow more room for break dancing :mrgreen: . I have a mod-V 16' with a tiller 25 hp 2 stroke carbed motor. It pushes and planes my boat (400#) nicely with me (290#), my son (160#) and gear. I really wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 25 hp. I think a 30 hp would be ideal for me though. A little more torque an not much weight difference. I'm working to get my 30 hp motor going soon.
Anywho, very nice work. You will enjoy that boat. It looks deep and wide. I love the stability, roominess of my 16' and it planes easily. Are you going to convert it back to a long transom?
-jasper
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

moberg12

Post by moberg12 »

jasper60103 wrote: Yea, the tiller option will allow more room for break dancing :mrgreen: . I have a mod-V 16' with a tiller 25 hp 2 stroke carbed motor. It pushes and planes my boat (400#) nicely with me (290#), my son (160#) and gear. I really wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 25 hp. I think a 30 hp would be ideal for me though. A little more torque an not much weight difference. I'm working to get my 30 hp motor going soon.
Anywho, very nice work. You will enjoy that boat. It looks deep and wide. I love the stability, roominess of my 16' and it planes easily. Are you going to convert it back to a long transom?
-jasper
Thanks for the heads up on the motor. I was hoping a 15 would be enough mostly because a 15 is a bit cheaper. I don't need the boat to be fast but I definitely want it to be able to plane. Looks like I'll be changing my search to 25-30hp outboards. As far as the transom goes I'll most likely leave it shortened, I've had the best luck finding short shaft motors around here. That all depends on the motor I guess. So step one is find motor, and step two is fix transom depending on motor sourced.

I looked through your build thread and you did some great work!! Do you have any pics of the boat finished?

Greg

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 »

The previous owner put in the flat floor. Currently, I don't have any plans to do more, but I enjoy this site and seeing mods others are doing. You may can get away with a 20 hp, but I seriously doubt a 15 hp will plane your boat. I mostly fish alone and the 25 hp is about as low I would go. I'm no speed demon either. My GPS top speed was 22 mph, but you have to factor in my big 290# butt at the tiller.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

MassFisherman

Post by MassFisherman »

I have a 20hp yamaha 4 stroke on my 16ft V-hull it does 22mph and planes out within 2-3 sec...
16' Aluminum V-Hull Starcraft http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=19040
20HP Yamaha 4-stroke
minn kota troller
2 orange plastic paddles that fold and float

Gunner

Post by Gunner »

i believe everyone should have a break dancing area. you can use it for many things. a pre-fishing ritual that lures in the monsters, a celebration dance for after you catch it, and in case you just feel like showing off for the ladies as you cruise on by. i need to look into this on mine
Semper Fi,
Gunner

Captain Ahab

Post by Captain Ahab »

I have that exact same boat with a 25 hp Evinrude Tracker. Depending on which prop i have on it runs at 22 to 25 mph

Put that console back on ! That is the best feature of the boat
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

pajam

Post by pajam »

Thats going to be nice when all the hard work is done. Look at my project its worse off than yours!
Attachments
001.JPG

moberg12

Post by moberg12 »

Captain Ahab wrote:I have that exact same boat with a 25 hp Evinrude Tracker. Depending on which prop i have on it runs at 22 to 25 mph

Put that console back on ! That is the best feature of the boat
I'd love to see some pictures of your finished boat. I've decided to keep the console!! I might not use it right away put I think it would be nice to have in the future.
pajam wrote:Thats going to be nice when all the hard work is done. Look at my project its worse off than yours!
Thanks I look forward to your progress as well.

Greg

moberg12

Post by moberg12 »

Got the transom pulled apart today. Decided I could tackle that myself after a few searches here and on iboats. The mix of rusted fasteners made it harder than it should have been but overall no major problems.

The PO that shortened the transom thought it would be a good idea to make 3 right angle cuts on each side(which were completely different side to side), this I can only imagine will let water in no mater how much I try to seal them. The new plan is to round the transom back up to the original height, this will allow me to use one continuous piece of aluminum to cap the transom when it's done. Plan is to cut the sides of the cap where it dips down so I can bend it down and follow the lines of the new transom, which will leave me with no seams.

Pics of progress tomorrow!!

moberg12

Post by moberg12 »

Well I got the new transom almost finished. Just have to drill the holes so I can mount it then seal it from the elements. I've test fitted and it fits perfect :shock:

Pics:

new vs. old

Boat trimmed to match!!

Purchased this today as a demo from Cabela's for $249. It's back ordered but I won't need it for a month or two.

Also purchased 2 gallons of gray pigment steelflex, durafix, bow and stern lights ,plug, and the decals so I can put the numbers on once it's registered. I've also got a line on a 30hp outboard that I'm going to look at Thursday.

I'm in full build mode now 8)