Introduction - 1452 Alumacraft Project (New Pics!! 07-21-11)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Topgun

Introduction - 1452 Alumacraft Project (New Pics!! 07-21-11)

Post by Topgun » 13 Dec 2010, 19:33

Hi all. I'm a new member here and have been enjoying reading the crazy amount of information here! I've been fishing for the past few years in a small plastic boat but have just purchased a 1957 14' Alumicraft with a 1968 Johnson 9.5 that I'll be fixing-up over the winter. It's (obviously) really old but seems very solid and doesn't leak. My main objectives are a flat floor and a proper livewell. I'm looking forward to this project and any input you all may have. Here's what I've been fishing in:
boat1.jpg
Here's what I bought:
Fishing Boat 002.jpg
Last edited by Topgun on 21 Jul 2011, 18:56, edited 3 times in total.

Xtremeboats
DuraCraft

Introduction

Post by DuraCraft » 13 Dec 2010, 19:35

Welcome! And, that is one great looking boat! I just love the lines of these tins. You got a great one I think. The other little one on trailer seems good to, just not pretty like your tinner!!
Coffee and water mix real good...
I ain't the slickest eel in the crick.
I like >))))))):> Ummm good.
You are = you're, i.e., You're doing a good job.
Your = possessive, i.e., That is your boat.
"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken". Command Sargeant Major J.D.

BLK fisher

Introduction

Post by BLK fisher » 13 Dec 2010, 19:39

Welcome to the site. There's alot of intelligent gentlemen here to give some great ideas. Good luck with the build.

cavman138

Introduction

Post by cavman138 » 13 Dec 2010, 21:52

Nice looking boat you picked up. Looks like you won't have to do a whole lot with it. Just have fun with it.
My work in progress:
My PolarKraft 1648 Mod!

WaHooWa
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

jasper60103

Introduction

Post by jasper60103 » 14 Dec 2010, 08:51

Yea, I agree. nice looking boat and fishing ready. Good find.
I would change the LU oil and water pump impeller on the motor.
Good luck.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

Topgun

Introduction

Post by Topgun » 14 Dec 2010, 19:35

Well, I don't know about "fishing ready" as the motor doesn't run. Also, I've removed the previously installed platforms because I felt they were too high and heavy. They were built with 2x10 treated lumber and were so heavy that I could barely remove them on my own! Question: I've read all the conversion threads and noticed that most everyone is "stealcoating" the exterior. Is this just a way of fixing leaking rivets? This boat doesn't leak and I'd like to skip that step (due to limited budget) if possible.

jasper60103

Introduction

Post by jasper60103 » 14 Dec 2010, 20:33

Topgun wrote:Well, I don't know about "fishing ready" as the motor doesn't run. Also, I've removed the previously installed platforms because I felt they were too high and heavy. They were built with 2x10 treated lumber and were so heavy that I could barely remove them on my own! Question: I've read all the conversion threads and noticed that most everyone is "stealcoating" the exterior. Is this just a way of fixing leaking rivets? This boat doesn't leak and I'd like to skip that step (due to limited budget) if possible.
No need to "steelflex". Put your money where needed. Good luck with your project.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

fender66

Introduction

Post by fender66 » 15 Dec 2010, 10:26

Looks like a great winter project. Probably good that you removed the treated wood too. It doesn't work well with aluminum and will cause damage in the long run.

Oh yeah.....Welcome aboard. Glad you found us!
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

Topgun

Introduction

Post by Topgun » 16 Dec 2010, 21:34

Thanks for the welcomes! What a great site!

I sold my plastic boat so I've got some money to get started on the Alumicraft this weekend. Don't have a name for it yet, but I'm thinking maybe "Bass-Nagger". Anyone seen the "nagger" South Park?

Anyway, I've got the boat gutted and I'm gonna start with rebuilding the transom and painting the interior. I'd also like to make a trip to one of the local salvage yards to look for some aluminum angle or tube for the floor framing. Questions:

1) I've got some plywood for the transom and I've seen some of the projects on here with stained wood that look really nice. Can I stain the ply and then coat with fiberglass resin or should I use something else?

2) What's the consensus on interior paint? Would some hardware store enamel be ok? Rustoleum? Should I primer first or just scuff it and go?

fender66

Introduction

Post by fender66 » 17 Dec 2010, 10:15

1) I've got some plywood for the transom and I've seen some of the projects on here with stained wood that look really nice. Can I stain the ply and then coat with fiberglass resin or should I use something else?

2) What's the consensus on interior paint? Would some hardware store enamel be ok? Rustoleum? Should I primer first or just scuff it and go?
Topgun.....I've not used wood, but I do know that there are a lot that have. I've seen a lot of recommendations some of which are, Spar Urethane, Thompson's. I'm sure someone will chime in with personal experience very soon.

As for the paint....again...lots of opinions here. I have painted my aluminum and I did use an aluminum primer that is supposed to etch it for better adhesion. I used a Rustoleum product and it seems to be working fine.
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

po1

Introduction

Post by po1 » 18 Dec 2010, 13:41

Nice boat. With a 12' Boat and depending on where you fish you'll want to keep the deck lite and low. There's always those with bigger motors running full out and too close making for interesting times in a small boat. Might want to consider a portable livewell made out of a cooler, this way you can leave it a home when it's not needed giving you the extra space when needed. I use a portable livewell that I picked up from Cabelos that gives me the freedom of moving it from one boat to another when needed. Look forward to see how your mod goes.
1977 16' LOWE Jon
2008 18hp 4stroke electric Nissan
1976 9.9 Evinrude 2stroke
1961 5.5 Johnson 2stroke
1993 Chevy 1500

Topgun

OK - I need some help!

Post by Topgun » 20 Dec 2010, 19:21

Well, I've got the boat gutted and have started prepping the interior for paint. I've been sanding the oxidation and old paint but have run into some trouble with the floor treatment that a previous owner put on. It's some kind of clear 'paint' with sand in it and it is extremely difficult to remove. If you look at the picture you can see the mask line around the inside of the boat. Anyway, I decided to find my "floor line" (which is to be 6" off the bottom) so that I don't have to remove any more of the dreaded grip treatment than necessary. That's where I've run into trouble. I've read on here about guys filling the boat with water and leveling it to find this line, but it's winter here and not practical to use this technique. I've tried making a jig and using a plumb bob hanging from a bar across the gunwalls but am not satisfied with the accuracy of the marks. Every part of this boat curves!! Anyway, other than filling with water, what's a good technique for doing this?
Picture 100.jpg
I also picked up these on ebay for $5!!
Picture 102.jpg
As part of the "restoration" of this:
Attachments
Picture 103.jpg

charliep

Introduction

Post by charliep » 20 Dec 2010, 21:00

Man that boat looks great empty. I have an idea...and it is just that. Do you have or have a friend that has one of those laser levels like they use for hanging pictures or drywall? Set it up 6" from the center line on the boar and mark where it hits the side. Then just move it and repeat.

Charlie
16' Princecraft Starfish15 Yamaha 25 tiller

Topgun

Introduction

Post by Topgun » 20 Dec 2010, 22:01

No, I don't have one but a friend suggested just that and it's a good idea but I hate to spend money on single-use tools. There's got to be another way!

redneckfisher

Introduction

Post by redneckfisher » 20 Dec 2010, 22:22

Topgun wrote:No, I don't have one but a friend suggested just that and it's a good idea but I hate to spend money on single-use tools. There's got to be another way!
use a level, duct tape and a cheep lazer pointer. :lol: