HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD (photos added)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
HOUSE

HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD (photos added)

Post by HOUSE » 20 Dec 2010, 19:47

Hey guys,
I've been a big fan of this site for a long time. You guys are awesome, and I hope I don't bother you with too many questions about my latest project :)

I bought a 14' Crestliner v-haul to work on this winter. I think it dates back to 1959, it has a new 9.9hp Mercury outboard on it which runs great. My original plan before I found this site was to rip out the benches and simply put a floor board down and a front fishing deck like this: (before & after) *photo removed*
but now that I've seen all of the projects on this website, I've got much bigger plans!

I'll post as many photos of the project as I can. I'm starting it tonight with my friend in my 20 degree Ohio garage :shock:

I think I'll combine 3 of my favorite designs from this site (devilmutt, benjineer, bassnbrian) and see if I can make something like this: *photo removed* (I hope you guys don't mind if I borrow your layouts to save time. My Microsoft Paint skills are far from "Bob Ross" quality!)

I'll upload the real pictures of my boat when I get home and start getting dirty...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-House

UPDATE: New Photos Added!
I finally uploaded the first pictures to photobucket. You can see them all here: https://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x123 ... SE77/BOAT/

I'll attach the most pertinent ones below:
video clip after ripping out the benches:

*Update: THINGS I WISH I HAD KNOWN AHEAD OF TIME:
1) Piano hinges should match the diameter of your plywood if you plan to mount them inside the 2 pieces of wood rather than on top.
2) Use 1/2 plywood to cut weight if there is ample support under it. Use 3/4 inch for everything that needs support.
3) Use a cheap staple gun to nail down your carpet as you glue it. Much easier than using clamps.
4) Don't be afraid to rivet. It's fun!

FINAL PICS:
1) LAYOUT:
Last edited by HOUSE on 03 Oct 2011, 12:04, edited 14 times in total.

Xtremeboats
charliep

HOUSE's 16' Crestliner V-haul MOD

Post by charliep » 20 Dec 2010, 20:46

Welcome house. I am looking forward to the pics!

charlie
16' Princecraft Starfish15 Yamaha 25 tiller

LonLB

Post by LonLB » 20 Dec 2010, 22:06

Looking forward to seeing the progress.....
I'm going to be doing the same thing this winter as well. I'm starting with a 16ft Sea Nymph.
I'm going to go pick it up next week so I should be able to start a thread then...

I'm looking forward to watching your progress. 8)

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE » 21 Dec 2010, 15:49

Okay, I gutted her last night and stripped down layer after layer of dirt and grime. I didn't get a chance to upload any photos yet, but I took quite a few that I'll post later. I've got my plywood laid out and cardboard boxes cut to shape.

Quick question:
-I've got a really bad back and I'm looking for a comfortable front fishing chair for the front platform. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good chair that has decent back support? I don't mind dropping a few bucks on this part of the project.

Thanks!
House

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE » 21 Dec 2010, 16:01

I added the only pic I have on my work computer :) I'll upload a billion more as this project goes along, I promise =D>

JonBoatfever

Post by JonBoatfever » 21 Dec 2010, 16:46

Looks good!.....im new to this website =D>

Brine

Post by Brine » 21 Dec 2010, 16:54

Looking forward to watching your progress HOUSE

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 » 22 Dec 2010, 09:23

Sweet! I'm looking forward to your mod. I have 16' Crestliner semi V as well.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

bassnbrian

Post by bassnbrian » 23 Dec 2010, 11:54

looks like a nice build =)

Ironically...I am redoing my boat design from last year :P.

I am a youth pastor and thus I constantly have 2-3 teens or teens and parents out on the boat...and in the small space of my 16 footer it was rather difficult getting around people.

So....I am removing the side storage units, raising the floor a bit and adding float foam and storage beneath the floor. Then adding 2 removable seats in the center as well as the two seats on the back bench.

Loved the storage on my build...but with 4 people on the boat...id rather have a bit more comfort.

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE » 23 Dec 2010, 17:38

Well, my Army buddy and I worked on it for a good 2 hours yesterday, I took a ton of photos but I haven't put them on Photobucket yet, sorry! We took a lot of accurate measurements and I have to change my post to a 14foot build!!! oops! It measured 14.5', I must have measured the outboard motor with it the first time, lol.

So, here's the original floor plan concept when I started:
and here's what it is looking like nearing completion:

I have a few questions from you boat building veterans:

1) Have any of you built your own trolling motor mount? I have a simple BPS Prowler that clamps to the side, but I'd like to drill a floor unit into the front aluminum bow by my chair. I haven't researched this yet, maybe one of you can jump start my search.

2) I'm still looking for any good suggestions on comfortable fishing chairs. I'm thinking about getting crazy and modifying a really comfortable restaurant-style swivel chair that's really cozy, but I'm sure there's a great boat chair out there. I'm heading to BPS later to look.

3) Foam. How effective is adding a layer of foam under my plywood? What is the real concern for it, is this more for getting my boat to come up on plane when I'm moving or is it for stability in the water?

Thanks guys!
Photos coming, I swear :)

-House

(edited 1/6/11 with updated floorplan)
Last edited by HOUSE on 03 Oct 2011, 12:03, edited 4 times in total.

LonLB

HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD

Post by LonLB » 23 Dec 2010, 19:55

1) In my opinion, Just buy a bow mount. Keep the transom motor on the transom. For one, have both is really nice sometimes, and a bow mount is made for it. No custom fabbing, and the pedal operation is nice too.
With that said, buy used. No doubt about it. Trolling motor prices have gotten OUT OF CONTROL. Last time I was looking there was a guy local to me with a 65lb I think it was Minn Kota Powerdrive with AutoPilot for $350. Still in the box. I've seen bow mounts as low as $75.

2) Most fishing chairs are pretty decent. Even the cheap ones that are padded. Personal preference, and cost is going to be the driving factors.

3) New boats use foam for a bunch of reasons. NONE of them are for the convenience of the owner.
It is mostly used because it is required for flotation. Basically if your boat completely sinks, many are equipped with enough flotation to keep them, 'barely' afloat.
Many new boats 'do' use it for structural strength, and for noise reduction.

I actually think attaching it to the backside of the floor like you mentioned could have some benefits as long as you don't attach so much that it hits the hull when you install the flooring.
If nothing else it should make things quieter.

benjineer

Post by benjineer » 27 Dec 2010, 17:23

Good luck! Looks like you have some nice ideas already. I've only fished out of mine a couple of times since the current mods, and I'm already thinking of redoing everything from the front deck back. The possibilities are endless and so is the amount of money you can sink into one of these!
'77 Lund S-16, '94 Johnson 48SPL
'03 Striper 2101 DC, '03 Optimax 150
'76 North American S-19, '81 Rude 115 - resto project or trash, jury's still out

DuraCraft

Post by DuraCraft » 27 Dec 2010, 19:41

I like your boat House. I also have a very bad back and severe neck pain too, but actually do okay on my old bench seats with a flotation cushion as a seat. It gives me freedom to move around as I need, and I think that helps my back. I find that being confined to the swivel seats don't work so good for me. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your project.
Coffee and water mix real good...
I ain't the slickest eel in the crick.
I like >))))))):> Ummm good.
You are = you're, i.e., You're doing a good job.
Your = possessive, i.e., That is your boat.
"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken". Command Sargeant Major J.D.

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE » 02 Jan 2011, 10:46

DuraCraft wrote:I like your boat House. I also have a very bad back and severe neck pain too, but actually do okay on my old bench seats with a flotation cushion as a seat. It gives me freedom to move around as I need, and I think that helps my back. I find that being confined to the swivel seats don't work so good for me. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your project.
I went to BPS and found a seat with pretty good lower back support: https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-T ... 3/-1633065

I'm thinking I might get a different one for the front that has more of a bucket seat feel to it that I found in their catalog. I'll let you know if it's comfortable when I head out on the water.

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE » 03 Jan 2011, 01:42

Long overdue, I edited my first post and added photos. I have a photobucket page in progress with everything so far. Link:https://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x123 ... SE77/BOAT/

Latest work:
I'm waiting for my friend to help me cut through this front aluminum sheet to free up space on the front bow. I'm going to leave 24" of it and sand down the edge to leave a small platform to attach my trolling motor. I think it's 3mm thick aluminum, and I'm going to cut it down right about where this sheet of paper is seen in this photo:

secondly,
I have to decide if the beat-up side hinges are strong enough to support any weight, or if I should just remove them:

(I'll try and resize my photos so the actual images aren't so large!)