HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD (photos added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOUSE

Reaction score
MYBOAT1.jpg

Hey guys,
I've been a big fan of this site for a long time. You guys are awesome, and I hope I don't bother you with too many questions about my latest project :)

I bought a 14' Crestliner v-haul to work on this winter. I think it dates back to 1959, it has a new 9.9hp Mercury outboard on it which runs great. My original plan before I found this site was to rip out the benches and simply put a floor board down and a front fishing deck like this: (before & after) *photo removed*
but now that I've seen all of the projects on this website, I've got much bigger plans!

I'll post as many photos of the project as I can. I'm starting it tonight with my friend in my 20 degree Ohio garage :shock:

I think I'll combine 3 of my favorite designs from this site (devilmutt, benjineer, bassnbrian) and see if I can make something like this: *photo removed* (I hope you guys don't mind if I borrow your layouts to save time. My Microsoft Paint skills are far from "Bob Ross" quality!)

I'll upload the real pictures of my boat when I get home and start getting dirty...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-House

UPDATE: New Photos Added!
I finally uploaded the first pictures to photobucket. You can see them all here: https://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x123/WAREHOUSE77/BOAT/

I'll attach the most pertinent ones below:
video clip after ripping out the benches:

PC220478.jpg

PC170448.jpg

PC200468.jpg

PC200469.jpg

PC200473.jpg

PC200472.jpg

PC170445.jpg

PC170444.jpg

PC170446.jpg

PC170443.jpg

PC170449.jpg

PC170450.jpg

PC200470.jpg

PC200475.jpg

PC200477.jpg

*Update: THINGS I WISH I HAD KNOWN AHEAD OF TIME:
1) Piano hinges should match the diameter of your plywood if you plan to mount them inside the 2 pieces of wood rather than on top.
2) Use 1/2 plywood to cut weight if there is ample support under it. Use 3/4 inch for everything that needs support.
3) Use a cheap staple gun to nail down your carpet as you glue it. Much easier than using clamps.
4) Don't be afraid to rivet. It's fun!

FINAL PICS:
1) LAYOUT:
FINAL_FRAME_9.jpg

FINAL_FRAME_TOP_VIEW2.jpg

FINAL_FRAME_TOP_VIEW3.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the progress.....
I'm going to be doing the same thing this winter as well. I'm starting with a 16ft Sea Nymph.
I'm going to go pick it up next week so I should be able to start a thread then...

I'm looking forward to watching your progress. 8)

Okay, I gutted her last night and stripped down layer after layer of dirt and grime. I didn't get a chance to upload any photos yet, but I took quite a few that I'll post later. I've got my plywood laid out and cardboard boxes cut to shape.

Quick question:
-I've got a really bad back and I'm looking for a comfortable front fishing chair for the front platform. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good chair that has decent back support? I don't mind dropping a few bucks on this part of the project.

Thanks!
House

I added the only pic I have on my work computer :) I'll upload a billion more as this project goes along, I promise =D>

MYBOAT1.jpg

Looking forward to watching your progress HOUSE

looks like a nice build =)

Ironically...I am redoing my boat design from last year :p.

I am a youth pastor and thus I constantly have 2-3 teens or teens and parents out on the boat...and in the small space of my 16 footer it was rather difficult getting around people.

So....I am removing the side storage units, raising the floor a bit and adding float foam and storage beneath the floor. Then adding 2 removable seats in the center as well as the two seats on the back bench.

Loved the storage on my build...but with 4 people on the boat...id rather have a bit more comfort.

Well, my Army buddy and I worked on it for a good 2 hours yesterday, I took a ton of photos but I haven't put them on Photobucket yet, sorry! We took a lot of accurate measurements and I have to change my post to a 14foot build!!! oops! It measured 14.5', I must have measured the outboard motor with it the first time, lol.

So, here's the original floor plan concept when I started:
FINAL5.jpg

and here's what it is looking like nearing completion:
FINAL_FRAME_TOP_VIEW3.jpg

I have a few questions from you boat building veterans:

1) Have any of you built your own trolling motor mount? I have a simple BPS Prowler that clamps to the side, but I'd like to drill a floor unit into the front aluminum bow by my chair. I haven't researched this yet, maybe one of you can jump start my search.

2) I'm still looking for any good suggestions on comfortable fishing chairs. I'm thinking about getting crazy and modifying a really comfortable restaurant-style swivel chair that's really cozy, but I'm sure there's a great boat chair out there. I'm heading to BPS later to look.

3) Foam. How effective is adding a layer of foam under my plywood? What is the real concern for it, is this more for getting my boat to come up on plane when I'm moving or is it for stability in the water?

Thanks guys!
Photos coming, I swear :)

-House

(edited 1/6/11 with updated floorplan)

1) In my opinion, Just buy a bow mount. Keep the transom motor on the transom. For one, have both is really nice sometimes, and a bow mount is made for it. No custom fabbing, and the pedal operation is nice too.
With that said, buy used. No doubt about it. Trolling motor prices have gotten OUT OF CONTROL. Last time I was looking there was a guy local to me with a 65lb I think it was Minn Kota Powerdrive with AutoPilot for $350. Still in the box. I've seen bow mounts as low as $75.

2) Most fishing chairs are pretty decent. Even the cheap ones that are padded. Personal preference, and cost is going to be the driving factors.

3) New boats use foam for a bunch of reasons. NONE of them are for the convenience of the owner.
It is mostly used because it is required for flotation. Basically if your boat completely sinks, many are equipped with enough flotation to keep them, 'barely' afloat.
Many new boats 'do' use it for structural strength, and for noise reduction.

I actually think attaching it to the backside of the floor like you mentioned could have some benefits as long as you don't attach so much that it hits the hull when you install the flooring.
If nothing else it should make things quieter.

Good luck! Looks like you have some nice ideas already. I've only fished out of mine a couple of times since the current mods, and I'm already thinking of redoing everything from the front deck back. The possibilities are endless and so is the amount of money you can sink into one of these!

I like your boat House. I also have a very bad back and severe neck pain too, but actually do okay on my old bench seats with a flotation cushion as a seat. It gives me freedom to move around as I need, and I think that helps my back. I find that being confined to the swivel seats don't work so good for me. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your project.

DuraCraft said:
I like your boat House. I also have a very bad back and severe neck pain too, but actually do okay on my old bench seats with a flotation cushion as a seat. It gives me freedom to move around as I need, and I think that helps my back. I find that being confined to the swivel seats don't work so good for me. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your project.

I went to BPS and found a seat with pretty good lower back support: https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Tourney-Special-HiBack-Boat-Seats/product/10205163/-1633065

I'm thinking I might get a different one for the front that has more of a bucket seat feel to it that I found in their catalog. I'll let you know if it's comfortable when I head out on the water.

Long overdue, I edited my first post and added photos. I have a photobucket page in progress with everything so far. Link:https://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x123/WAREHOUSE77/BOAT/

Latest work:
I'm waiting for my friend to help me cut through this front aluminum sheet to free up space on the front bow. I'm going to leave 24" of it and sand down the edge to leave a small platform to attach my trolling motor. I think it's 3mm thick aluminum, and I'm going to cut it down right about where this sheet of paper is seen in this photo:

PC170445.jpg

secondly,
I have to decide if the beat-up side hinges are strong enough to support any weight, or if I should just remove them:
PC200475.jpg

(I'll try and resize my photos so the actual images aren't so large!)

I finally started cutting some wood! I'll use this post to catalog the rear floorboard build.
crossbeamsinplace.jpg

My poor boat has been neglected for a month! I just now started back up on it. Several questions for anyone that can help.

I'm trying to figure out the best place for the gas tank. It wont fit in the back very well under my transom unless I change my frame design. I'd like to move it up to the front since I have more room, but I'm not exactly sure how people have been doing this. Are you using just automotive fuel line? I would think this would help my weight distribution. My friend just wants to set it up top on my transom by my motor, but I think that is a waste of space.

Here are my two favorite options:
Option 1 - extend the transom out another foot and move my design forward (I lose room though):
896659761_photobucket_13191_.jpg

Option 2 - mount the fuel tank behind my livewell and under my seat, running a fuel line under my deck to the back:
896659761_photobucket_13190_.jpg

(picture with the cooler/livewell):
896659761_photobucket_13323_-1.jpg

Suggestions?

I got some good work done on the boat this weekend. I cut most of the front aluminum piece with a circular saw (Ferrous blade) and a Dremel (diamond cutting wheel). I was able to score it enough that it made a clean cut (picture at the bottom). I also removed the back section completely since the wood on the transom was rotted, and the aluminum tray back there was taking up 1-2 feet of space. The boat is completely stripped now, looks a heck of a lot bigger, and I'm now ready to start building!
:lol:

896659761_photobucket_14294_.jpg

896659761_photobucket_14295_.jpg

896659761_photobucket_14298_.jpg

6 questions:
1) Paint the inside? Should I seal the inside of the boat while it is stripped? I can scrub it down with some Mineral Spirits and a scour pad. What should I use to coat the floor so it wont leak down the road? It has some sort of paint in it now that is coming up when I scrub it, but I was thinking of painting some sort of resin in there like the Spar Urethane. What do most of you guys line your boat with on the inside?

2) Paint the outside? The paint is starting to flake off in spots, especially the joints. I'm afraid that down the road this might allow water to leak into the riveted areas. Can I put another coat of paint or enamel over the old one or do I have to strip it down and paint it from scratch? ...I think I already know the answer to this question :(

3) Transom: Should I replace the old wood or just put a new piece of wood around it? The motor is secure not because I have aluminum around the original wood. I'm thinking it might look better to have a nice piece of wood sandwiching in the old wood.

4) Gas Tank: Now that the back section is removed, I think I'm going to keep it in the back and build a storage compartment and back fishing platform next to my back seat. Do you think it's worth putting the gas tank up front to help lighten the load?

5) Replacing missing rivets. I've got 3 missing rivets on that front aluminum plate. I was thinking about just using screws but rivets would look nicer. I don't have a rivet gun so I'm not sure what my options are here. Suggestions?

6) Aluminum crossbeam: I want to add some support since I've removed the benches. I'd like to run a piece of aluminum across the middle where my raised front deck begins by my cooler. I'll have to drill 2 or 3 holes in each side and bolt the crossbeam in place. Any suggestions how to do this step? I've been making most of this stuff up as I go based on other builds. This step scares me. I think I'm going to need a 55inch piece of aluminum. How thick should I get it? What kind do I buy? Can I get this at Lowes or Home Depot? Do I need L-shaped mounting brackets for it or something similar?

Update: I found Sgt. Stiglitz's mod which should be helpful with this step: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15880 He said "I think I used 1 inch and 1 1/2 aluminum 1/8 thick angle and some 1/2 square aluminum along with just a cheap rivet gun from Lowes" which answers one of my questions. :)
-Here is the rivet gun he used: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-set-38353.html