Modded Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericzerka24

Reaction score
Well here is what i looked like back in July right after I purchased it from someone on craigslist for $130. Only had a couple leaks but was an easy fix.

IMG_0169.jpg

My buddies dad has a sand blaster so we took it over to his place and sanded it up real nice. After that we applied a self-etching primer to the entire thing. Here's what it looks like with the new paint! Only a 10 hour job lol.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Removed part of the middle seat for rod storage space got started right away with the frame work...

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Because the treated board that I used for the floor was a bit pricey, I decided to make an outline with cardboard. This is what made doing the floor a peice of cake! Once I got the shape I wanted, I just traced it onto the treated board and started cutting. Heres some pics:

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Now the floor in place...

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Got some marine carpet online. My fingers were pretty sore after doing the entire floor....

IMG_0205-Copy.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

Added a 12volt plug in the front and the rear.

IMG_0207.jpg

And here is where I have stopped for the winter...

Before/After Pic:

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Added a bow mount trolling motor. Had to make a little modification so that it sat high enough to clear front edge of the bow. This spring I plan on installing:
seats
stereo
fishfinder
cup holders

*Will update once modifications begin!

I'm by no means an expert (haven't even started on my boat yet), but I've seen a lot of guys on this site say that treated wood is a big no-no. I think it has something to do with the copper in the treatment eating away at the aluminum.

I don't mean to spoil anything, but it might be worth looking into. Somebody who knows more than me will hopefully post and explain it better than I can.

Loving your simple set up . I have a similar boat for sale on craigslist by me right now for 100$ no leaks ! I was wondering how stable is your boat the way its set up?

Outstanding job. I love the rod locker - and the colour. However, after all that great are you planning to instal a proper boat seat?

skimsucka said:
Loving your simple set up . I have a similar boat for sale on craigslist by me right now for 100$ no leaks ! I was wondering how stable is your boat the way its set up?

Typically the person wraps the carpet around the side of the wood, and has paint on the aluminum there so as long as it doesn't have direct contact with bare aluminum it should be fine.

and EXCELLENT MODDING!!!

FishyItch said:
I'm by no means an expert (haven't even started on my boat yet), but I've seen a lot of guys on this site say that treated wood is a big no-no. I think it has something to do with the copper in the treatment eating away at the aluminum.

I don't mean to spoil anything, but it might be worth looking into. Somebody who knows more than me will hopefully post and explain it better than I can.

The plywood is the only treated board. I let it dry out completely and then sealed it with a water sealant. It is also wrapped in carpet so there is no way the chemicals used can come in contact with the aluminum. All the support boards were also sealed with the same sealant.

ericzerka24 said:
FishyItch said:

The plywood is the only treated board. I let it dry out completely and then sealed it with a water sealant. It is also wrapped in carpet so there is no way the chemicals used can come in contact with the aluminum. All the support boards were also sealed with the same sealant.

Actually, you can get pitting even if the treated lumber has carpet on it. There was a thread in here a while back where a guy was getting corrosion on his boat where it was resting on the carpeted/treated bunks.

BaitCaster said:
Outstanding job. I love the rod locker - and the colour. However, after all that great are you planning to instal a proper boat seat?

It's getting red/white removable bass seats. Already have them picked out just haven't had time to get started with all the ice fishing 8)

BaitCaster said:
ericzerka24 said:
FishyItch said:

Actually, you can get pitting even if the treated lumber has carpet on it. There was a thread in here a while back where a guy was getting corrosion on his boat where it was resting on the carpeted/treated bunks.

Well hopefully the 5 coats of water sealant will take care of that problem. When I take it out of storage I'll check it out and post results.

Latest posts