Deck stability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobrastrike

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a 1436 Alumacraft that I'm thinking of putting a front casting deck on. I've seen a lot of pics where others have done it but haven't read much on the stability of the boat afterwards. My boat has the standard 2 seats (rear, middle) and one "seat" up front. Initially I had thought about decking on top of the seat (middle) to the front, but now I'm thinking of dropping the front deck down to below middle seat (appx. 6" below the top of the seat) to lower the center of gravity. Any ideas / suggestions / experiences? Also, I would like to relocate the battery from the back to the front to help distribute the weight. Unfortunately, if I have the deck at the lower height, the battery will be too tall to relocate. What problems might I encounter if I cut a covey on top of the middle / bow seat, or would it be best to leave it the back?

Welcome Aboard CobraStrike!

Depending on the type of decking material, you might find that after your build is done you will have enough weight in the front already. I woudl look into moving your battery slightly forward - to the center of the boat and amidships.

Welcome Aboard, cobrastrike! :)

How many people will be fishing at one time in the boat. Just thinking if you have more than one person you may just leave the battery in the rear, but you'll have to see how the weight distributes after adding the decking upfront/middle.

cobrastrike said:
Hi all,
I've got a 1436 Alumacraft that I'm thinking of putting a front casting deck on. I've seen a lot of pics where others have done it but haven't read much on the stability of the boat afterwards. My boat has the standard 2 seats (rear, middle) and one "seat" up front. Initially I had thought about decking on top of the seat (middle) to the front, but now I'm thinking of dropping the front deck down to below middle seat (appx. 6" below the top of the seat) to lower the center of gravity. Any ideas / suggestions / experiences? Also, I would like to relocate the battery from the back to the front to help distribute the weight. Unfortunately, if I have the deck at the lower height, the battery will be too tall to relocate. What problems might I encounter if I cut a covey on top of the middle / bow seat, or would it be best to leave it the back?

Welcome Cobrastrike,
Thanks for joining!

I would do as you thought, and try to keep the center of gravity lower. What kind of trolling motor are you going to be using (front mount or rear)? Is it electric only or will you have a gas motor in the back?

Jim

Watch my video of you tube and check my thread for stability thoughts. Your boat has similar specs but mine is 38 inches wide at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYnXMhBb3xI

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=964

As far as decking, I'm going to have angled aluminum bracing and either 3/4" PT ply or (2) 1/2" PT ply pieces mended together for the deck. I figured that adding a little weight to it won't hurt, but I don't want to over-do it. I've only had the boat a few months so I haven't fished out of it much (only 2 trips), and both of those were solo trips. At most, I'll have one extra passenger with me. As far as motors, the trolling motor up front will be foot controlled and I'll have an 18hp in the rear. I've only taken the boat to Sinclair so I haven't experienced stability with a lot of big boats passing by, but I doubt that I will go too many places where there's heavy traffic.

When I took the boat out last time, it was a little windy. I'm hoping that with the addition of the deck and the added weight, the boat won't be as easily moved by a wind gust, but this could be wishful thinking....any thoughts?

cobrastrike said:
As far as decking, I'm going to have angled aluminum bracing and either 3/4" PT ply or (2) 1/2" PT ply pieces mended together for the deck. I figured that adding a little weight to it won't hurt, but I don't want to over-do it. I've only had the boat a few months so I haven't fished out of it much (only 2 trips), and both of those were solo trips. At most, I'll have one extra passenger with me. As far as motors, the trolling motor up front will be foot controlled and I'll have an 18hp in the rear. I've only taken the boat to Sinclair so I haven't experienced stability with a lot of big boats passing by, but I doubt that I will go too many places where there's heavy traffic.

When I took the boat out last time, it was a little windy. I'm hoping that with the addition of the deck and the added weight, the boat won't be as easily moved by a wind gust, but this could be wishful thinking....any thoughts?

The added weight will help with the wind for sure (better than an empty boat).

what about making the floor of the deck removable for drying (if necessary), is that the norm or should I make it permanent?

I've got an Alumacraft 1436 also. Ive done some fishing while standing on the floor/TM foot control, I didnt feel real comfortable. It wasnt bad with both feet on the floor but puting one on the control was differant. An unexpected wave might just cause a swim. I have just gottin used to sitting in a seat and only standing to move around. Maybe my sea legs arent up to par, but I dont even stand on the bow to "water the lake", I use an old plastic container.

Latest posts