TM Predicament

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MK Maxxum 70lb thrust.
It comes with 6 screws for installation and recommends all 6 be used, if possible but 4 will do.
I contacted MK, I gave them the background and they said 4 will be fine.
The reason I may not use six is because of the difficulty using 6 would incur. I would need to drill holes to access under bow area in order to tighten the lock nuts.
Should I just go for broke and install with 6 OR should I simply attach it with 4 and address any problem which may occur, down the road.
Your input is appreciated!
thanks

Mount it with all six and be sure to use SS fender washers for added support. If you do not give it maximum support you know that it will break on a day when the fish are biting like crazy!

I say do it correctly now before the season kicks off

The screws are going through 3/4" plywood. The additional 2 would be going through aluminum, about 3/32", and 3/4" plywood.

use rivnuts they install in holes you drill and give yu a blind threaded hole come in 1/4 all the way up too 7/16 a google search will get ya goin

scottbustech said:
use rivnuts they install in holes you drill and give yu a blind threaded hole come in 1/4 all the way up too 7/16 a google search will get ya goin

Thanks for that. I think that is EXACTLY what I have been looking for but didn't know what they were called.
I'm going to take a few pics of the deck area so you can see why this is such a problem for me.

UPDATE:

After reviewing my options (and researching the rivnuts, more follows), I had to go with the 4 screw choice.
The problem with the rivnuts is my lack of access to the appropriate tools to install them.
I'm going to take a few shots of the trolling motor deck compared with the original deck so you can see where the issue was.
Thanks for all your input!

have you looked at the universal mounting bolts for trolling motors or the isolator bolts that BassPro has? they are what I use.

Go to BassPro.com and search for Isolator bolts you can then see what they look like

Latest posts