Newbie question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bistineau

Reaction score
I have been looking at all of the mods after buying a 2000 Xpress 15ft boat. There is no console, etc.

I am wanting to put a floor down and after reading this know not to use the treated plywood. I will be putting carpet over the wood floor. I am doing this to make it easier for my children to walk around the boat.

My question to those that have put a floor in:

Did you cut the edge of your plywood at an angle to match the slope of the side of the boat? I don't want a gap running around the edge of the floor and want the edge of the floor to be flush with the sides. I don't think that I can cut the plywood to have it come out exactly perfect. If the gap, especially around the ribs, is too large for caulk, is there something out there that I can use to fill the gap? Carpet will then cover this material.

I thought about the spray construction foam like Great Stuff. After I trimmed it, would it be closed cell so as not to absorb water? I thought I would then put caulk over this as well as to fill any small gaps. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I did not cut the edge of the wood on a angle it create's a sharp edge that can cut through the carpet. Also the best way to get it as close to the side's as you can is to use cardboard and do a template first useing a compass to scribe around and rib's or obstacle's then transfer to the plywood.

If you do decided to use any type of spray foam be really really careful that you don't get to much under a rib or anything it will expand and bend the aluminum I have seen people do this on there car's after installing sub's and it has messed up many a trunk or door.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

The experts will chime in soon and give you ideas! I think if you get just close enough with the wood and then carpet it you will be good. But dont take my word for it, I'm useless with that stuff! :lol:

Jim is right get it as close as you can then carpet it . There is no need to seal it up along the edge's try and make it so you can take the floor in and out so you can clean under it or get something that has rolled under it.

Welcome aboard - you can get close with a wood alone. You can use a cardboard to make a pattern of the inside of the boat

Welcome Aboard! I wouldn't put any type of caulk around the edge, as stated above, you want to be able to remove it, plus it will provide some (minimal) airflow between the decking and the hull.

Latest posts