A conversion like you've never seen before...16' Performer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMBDave

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of conversions to small boat lately, mostly 10-12 footers...I really like the old fiberglass Tri Hull Columbian boats, they're nice and wide and generally pretty inexpensive...compared to a wide aluminum jon.

Recently I had a vision...I had a great idea for an awesome rod box...But the smaller boats that i normally convert arent big enough for what i had invsioned...so started looking at some bigger boats. I looked at all kinds of boats, but mostly i was looking for an aluminum wide v hull...but then I had an even better idea! People get rid of old ski boats and open bow runabouts all the time for dirt cheap, i thought it would be cool to find an old tri hull Glastron or Reinell and try my handy work on something like that...took a look on good'ol craiglist and this is what i found...

IMG_2191.jpg

She's a 1970's 16' Performer...picked her up for $400 and she RUNS!! 1975 Mercury 85hp 2 stroke outboard with power start. Sitting on a 1998 EZ Loader trailer.

Started the conversion a couple days ago, here are some pics of the progress, including the rod box.

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

more pics coming soon...

Got some more work done on the Performer conversion. Check it out!

Water proofed the framing
IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Fitting the decking, hatches and walls
IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

Water proofed the decking, hatches and walls
IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

next step: carpet

Got all the carpet laid out and installed. I decided to go with a darker carpet than i normally use, i think it came out looking really nice.

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

Got all the hinges and door straps installed
IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

Next steps: Floor carpet, install seats, and install bow mount trolling motor.

Great job... Good post... as much as I like it, i would be concerned about the amount of weight you added... I would guess between 400 and 500 lbs.
The job does look great.

devilmutt said:
I like it. Tons of these old boats around.

I KNOW!!! they are all over craigslist and they go for dirt! Haha like i said, i got mine for $400 with the trailer and it runs perfectly!

freetofish said:
Great job... Good post... as much as I like it, i would be concerned about the amount of weight you added... I would guess between 400 and 500 lbs.
The job does look great.

Nah not that much...maybe 150, the framing really isnt as heavy as it looks, i can lift them out by myself. I took her out yesterday for her maiden voyage and she sat nice and flat and didnt show any signs of struggle from the added weight.

bulldog said:
I'm having a hard time believing my eyes. That is an awesome build. Keep the pics coming please!!

U got it man, I got some more work done to it today, but it got too dark to take pictures so ill try to get some posted tomorrow...still trying to figure out how i want to mount the seats...any suggestions anyone???

For the seats what about building a stair step on that back wall you would set on the stair, then when it was time to fish it would make it easy to climb out

79Stroker said:
For the seats what about building a stair step on that back wall you would set on the stair, then when it was time to fish it would make it easy to climb out

that is an excellent idea, i considered something similar but in the end i ended going with a pair of standard fishing seats that i picked up on CL for $40...Installed them on an 8" pedestal.

Here are some more pics!

Carpeted the floor
IMG_2281.jpg

Installed the Driver and Passenger seats
IMG_2286.jpg

Installed the rear pedestal seat
IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Installed the Bow mount minn kota
IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

more pics coming...

Here's the seat I deceided to go with in the front
IMG_2290.jpg

Here's a couple pics of it on the boat, dark pic sorry...
IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Full view of the boat
IMG_2294.jpg

SVOMike86 said:
Awesome build Man! Great deal on that boat. Makes me wanna scour Craigslist for something else I can't afford...

So far ive got about $600 into the whole project, give or take 50 bucks. Beats $30,000 for a new skeeter...although i would definitely love to have a new skeeter.

freetofish said:
The job does look great.

My thoughts as well - that looks really heavy

But awesome! I am sure teh hull can handle it - just loading and unloading on the trailer looks like a b%^&*$

Latest posts