Holmes 14' Valco project! Edited with lots of pics!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdholmes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I found this forum a few months back and seeing some of the projects knew I would never be satisfied just to leave a boat as it was!

I waited to find the right deal for a few months and finally came across the right one for my first boat. I found a 70's 14' Valco with trailer that has a 'Sears Gamefisher' sticker on it. The boat is rated for a 20HP motor and like 950 lbs. It came with a Johnson 10HP 2 stroke, a never used Minnkota 50lbs. thrust transom troller, a brand new in box portable Humminbird 400TX fishfinder, a new in package minnkota drift sock, an anchor mate thing mounted in the boat to drop and retrieve the anchor from the stern, a brand new gas tank and hoses, and the old one, a magnetic tow light kit as a spare, a couple spare trailer tires and a few oars. Got it all for $500 bucks! Felt like a good deal to me.

The only catch was that he hadn't had it out in a couple years so the motor may need some tuning, but was working great when he used it last and had just had a tune up then. Then his wife died and his knees went bad so he hasn't used it since...I am hoping it is going to fire right up. The wood seats are dried and cracking up and the transom probably needs replaced too. Either way I think it was still a deal.

So...It is bare aluminum and I want to paint it in a white and black scheme to match my truck. I have started sanding the hull with a 60 grit sandpaper...its a lot of work. Do I actually have to do this sanding process with the bare aluminum or can I just clean it with something and then use the self etching primer?

Thanks!

Attachments

• boatSMALL.JPG
    boatSMALL.JPG
    577.2 KB · Views: 4,587
  • boat color option 1SMALL.JPG
    boat color option 1SMALL.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,587
I'm fairly new here to, so welcome from another newbie!

Looks like you got a great deal on that rig. I like your intended paint scheme too. Looks like a natural on that hull. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with the info you need on prepping the aluminum for the paint job. I just repainted mine after stripping it to bare metal, so it probably won't be too much different. I just sanded after the stripping, washed, then wiped down with acetone and used a self=etching primer, then 2 coats (so far) of tractor and implement paint, as that seem to be a tough paint. Mine was by Valspar, so it should last a good long time.

Thanks! I noticed a lot of people here have to strip their job first, which is why I am wondering if I even have to sand it at all...no paint on mine.

I have a pretty good feeling about the paint scheme...I thought about doing it reverse with two black and one white, but didn't think it looked as clean...and my truck is white.

Hopefully someone that has much more experience will chime in here but even though you have a bare hull it still must be prepped, Aluminum forms an Aluminum oxide layer when it comes in contact with oxygen, This layer will prevent paint from adhering properly. So to answer that part of the question, yes, you need to sand or chemically prep the hull before you prime it.

Thanks! I thought that may be the case....would chemicals be easier? And is 60 grit too rough?

Yes, 60 grit is way too rough for just scuffing up the aluminum. Use a 220 or so grit sandpaper and then use the self etching primer. Looking at the picture I would not spend long going over it with the 220 especially if you have a DA or Jitterbug sander. I like the white with the black stripe should look sharp.

Good Luck,
Flintcreek

Nice rig Jd. Sounds like a great deal, and that color scheme looks sharp.

flintcreek has it right. Give it a light scuff, wash it, wipe it, and get to priming.

What are you going to do on the inside?

Thanks for the replies! I am glad to hear I should stop with the 60 grit...I didn't even get half done on the first side so now I will switch to a finer grit instead.

The inside I am still not 100% on. There is paint on the inside that is partially flaking so I figured I will wire brush/sand the loose stuff, use a self etching primer and then maybe paint it with a spray truck liner...

I have been thinking of cutting the middle seat out, doing a platform from the transom to just a couple inches past the rear seat, and then another platform from the front seat to the front of the bow using the seat as a support...still working that out. I will probably do it in stages for budget.

Any suggestions from your experiences?

Here are some more detailed pics of the boat as it was when I got it.

I took the lower end off the motor as you will see in the pics - the impeller was in great shape so I will keep it as is and just replace the oil.

I am not sure on the transom. If you look close in the pics you will see that the brace has cracked at the highest point...not sure if that is going to be a big deal.

There is a circular thing mounted on the back of the boat that you can see in one of the pics...anyone know what it is?

There seemed to be a little water come out before the oil started pouring out...is that normal? Oil seemed quite dark with a little yellowish green tint when a thin layer coated the bowl...

A couple wires in the back of the motor housing seem a little dried out and brittle...but otherwise seems to look good to me...you?

Comments and suggestions more than welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,432
  • IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,432
  • IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
  • IMG_3688.JPG
    IMG_3688.JPG
  • IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
  • IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
  • IMG_3697.JPG
    IMG_3697.JPG
  • IMG_3693.JPG
    IMG_3693.JPG
    885.1 KB · Views: 4,432
  • IMG_3695.JPG
    IMG_3695.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,432
  • IMG_3696.JPG
    IMG_3696.JPG
  • IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
looks like you grabbed a nice one. any luck on starting that motor ? the carb on that motor is super simple and easy to take off, I believe it is only 5 screws to take it off, and the bowl stays on the motor so you can clean everything just by taking the screws out, and the choke cable.

Hey! Thanks! I haven't started it yet, but everything looks like it should start up alright to me...

I am having trouble getting the lower shift rod to reconnect to put it back together...that is annoying.

Also I have all of the bolts off the transom now but can't seem to get the transom out yet...it looks like they might have glued it to the rear of the boat...anyone run into this?

Had to drill out a few bolts cause they were rusted too bad...glad I didn't try to just put it on the water. The seats and flotation were rotted pretty bad...will post pics later.

This weekend I am trying to get the transom off and get the lower end of my motor back on...can't seem to get the shift rod to connect back to the upper.

Jdholmes said:
This weekend I am trying to get the transom off and get the lower end of my motor back on...can't seem to get the shift rod to connect back to the upper.
Right on...today I did a bit of body work. Removed the bracket at the bow, cleaned it all up...replaced rusty hardware.

I also filled with water to check the seal job...no leaks :) I can get ready to coat inside with truck bed coat or epoxy. I havent decided. I also cleaned up the pieces at the top of the boat that run from the transom to stern. They were painted on the inside, i removed paint. I like the aluminum look for that.

Make sure you post pics...I was planning on paint the entire inside...I'd like to see how yours turns out with the aluminum up there. I actually had thought I may be able to attach a small conduit along that upper lip to run wiring without it looking too bad.

Jdholmes said:
Make sure you post pics...I was planning on paint the entire inside...I'd like to see how yours turns out with the aluminum up there. I actually had thought I may be able to attach a small conduit along that upper lip to run wiring without it looking too bad.
Interesting, why not run wiring under the deck and seats? Then add floor on top. Are you adding a floor? I'm still thinking about it.

That is probably a better idea...I was thinking of doing the floor a couple inches above the bottom...in which case I could run a PVC pipe under that...probably cleaner. Then I could run an elbow to where it exits for anice clean look...

I was thinking maybe if I put the pink foam on the floor and then ran a couple angle supports on the sides and near the bottom of the seats I wouldn't need any vertical support for the floor...make sense?

Jdholmes said:
That is probably a better idea...I was thinking of doing the floor a couple inches above the bottom...in which case I could run a PVC pipe under that...probably cleaner. Then I could run an elbow to where it exits for anice clean look...

I was thinking maybe if I put the pink foam on the floor and then ran a couple angle supports on the sides and near the bottom of the seats I wouldn't need any vertical support for the floor...make sense?
Yea that makes sense. This is what I am doing as well. You may need a runner across where the two boards meet in the center. Typical plywood is 48 in wide...your boat width is larger, meaning it will have to be in two pieces. The deck area between the front seat and middle seat should be supported enough, the deck at front will need a ledger angle. I will just cut 2 pieces of angle iron about 4-6" long and rivit to body of boat. If you raise deck a few inches above bottom you could add fishing pole holders under the deck. I was afraid the boat may be too unstable as the higher the deck the farther the center of gravity. A 12' boat isnt that stable to begin with.

What kind of conduit/elbows you using? Maybe a plastic water line would suffice. Irrigation stuff?

Latest posts