First Project

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Post Reply
JBooth
Posts: 129
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:07
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

First Project

Post by JBooth » 27 Oct 2011, 21:05

Hello, I am new to this forum. This was my project over the summer. It's a 1970 Duracraft.
Enjoy and feel free to comment.
Attachments
First coat of paint
First coat of paint
First coat of paint
First coat of paint
Put in floors and back deck. I cut 2 pieces of 2 by 4 and bolted them into the transom for the back deck deck support. I then drilled I by 2" marine wood for support across from the transom to the bench seat.
Put in floors and back deck. I cut 2 pieces of 2 by 4 and bolted them into the transom for the back deck deck support. I then drilled I by 2" marine wood for support across from the transom to the bench seat.
Back flooring
Back flooring
Front floor & Trolling motor I got. It's a '07 minn-kota 50# thrust.
Front floor & Trolling motor I got. It's a '07 minn-kota 50# thrust.
I got a motor for it. It's a '96 Force 15hp that runs flawlessly.
I got a motor for it. It's a '96 Force 15hp that runs flawlessly.
Here she is. At this point it's pretty much finished.
Here she is. At this point it's pretty much finished.
I installed a Lowrance Sonar/Fish finder. I got it for $25 from a yard sale. It had never been used. I got it home and found the receipt; the guy originally paid $560 for it.
I installed a Lowrance Sonar/Fish finder. I got it for $25 from a yard sale. It had never been used. I got it home and found the receipt; the guy originally paid $560 for it.
I cut a piece of treated 1X4 and bolted it above the waterline of the transom. Then installed the Sonar and speed measurer on it.
I cut a piece of treated 1X4 and bolted it above the waterline of the transom. Then installed the Sonar and speed measurer on it.
Last edited by JBooth on 22 Mar 2012, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

RazorBaits
Firescooby
Posts: 73
Joined: 21 Sep 2011, 12:18
Location: NE Georgia

First Project

Post by Firescooby » 27 Oct 2011, 21:15

Looks good, I wish I could find an outboard like that.

I've read that you don't wanna use treated wood with a tin boat because of the high copper content.
19something PolarKraft SV-1448L
2006 Chevy 2500HD 4wd CC/SB Dura/Alli
2005 Forest River 30' Fifth wheel
Wonderful wife and two beautiful daughters (7 and 2)

JBooth
Posts: 129
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:07
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

First Project

Post by JBooth » 27 Oct 2011, 21:18

Thank you!
If you dont use treated, the wood will just rot right? What is the other option?

User avatar
crazymanme2
Moderator
Posts: 1728
Joined: 26 May 2009, 05:47
Location: West Olive Mich

First Project

Post by crazymanme2 » 27 Oct 2011, 21:25

I used a piece of aluminum 1/4" thick & wide enough to mount transducer on.I just fastened on the top so no holes where below the water line.

Nice job on your tin & welcome aboard =D>
Craig
Be Who You Are
And Say What You Feel
Because Those That Mind ....Don't Matter
And Those Who Matter....Don't Mind

JBooth
Posts: 129
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:07
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

First Project

Post by JBooth » 27 Oct 2011, 21:40

Thank you! I appreciate the information.

Turbo7
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 May 2011, 21:38

First Project

Post by Turbo7 » 31 Oct 2011, 16:23

I used standared 3\4 plywood and put about 4 coats of spar urathane on the wood.

Firescooby
Posts: 73
Joined: 21 Sep 2011, 12:18
Location: NE Georgia

First Project

Post by Firescooby » 31 Oct 2011, 17:01

JBooth wrote:Thank you!
If you dont use treated, the wood will just rot right? What is the other option?
Like said before, use the Spar urethane.
19something PolarKraft SV-1448L
2006 Chevy 2500HD 4wd CC/SB Dura/Alli
2005 Forest River 30' Fifth wheel
Wonderful wife and two beautiful daughters (7 and 2)

JBooth
Posts: 129
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:07
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

First Project

Post by JBooth » 31 Oct 2011, 22:26

Thanks for the information I will look into that before I do anything else.

User avatar
jasper60103
Posts: 1226
Joined: 02 Jul 2009, 07:39
Location: Twin Cities, MN.

First Project

Post by jasper60103 » 01 Nov 2011, 08:17

I used a piece of composite.

Image
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

User avatar
BaitCaster
Posts: 1608
Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 12:51
Location: Southern Ontario

First Project

Post by BaitCaster » 02 Nov 2011, 10:27

Nice job! I used a plastic mounting plate (purchased from Cabela's) to mount my transducer.
Attachments
mj13.JPG
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=14160

Post Reply