SeaArk SuperJon 1872MV Tunnel Remodel (All Pics on Pg1)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowblazah

Reaction score
I've been looking for a SeaArk 1872 for a while. (not a very common boat around these parts) I finally found one 4 hours away from where I live. Got it pretty cheap as the owner was a duck hunter and his wife viewed it as a "military boat" and she wanted something more for sunning and water skiing with.

1.jpg

Long story short...I was looking for this hull to make myself a forward mounted Center Console for river running. for the most part this boat was ideal (minus the work I knew I would have in store for me converting it) On the next pic you'll notice my apprentice hard at work figuring how all this is going to take place.

2.jpg

3.jpg

First order of business was to get it off the trailer and on the ground so I could get in and out of it easily to tear it apart. So made a cradle for it out of 4x4s and installed some casters on it.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Tore out all the carpet, floor and the console.
7.jpg

Saving top half of side console to possibly mount to a cabinet for my center console. Cut the welds and removed from the livewell.
6.jpg

Removed and stripped YEARS of carpet glue...this was pretty easy once I found out that Epoxy Stripper is the best way to do this!
8.jpg

Mocked up where and how high I want my console so i can work on the cabinet while I have it flipped over to fix some leaky welds.
9.jpg

10.jpg

Flipped it over this weekend to get access to these leaky "welds".
11.jpg

The welds actually turned out to be burn through from a previous attempt at fixing cracked rib welds.
13.jpg

Turns out these were not my culprit...but I did find a few cracks by the tunnel.
14.jpg

Crack by the tunnel.
12.jpg

Next step is to get it to my buddy's shop who has a tig welder and have him patch this up. But that wont likely be until after Thanksgiving.

Some of the items this boat is going to get are Hyd Steering, Hyd JackPlate, 6 new tempress hatches (as this boat doesnt have much for storage. Plus I need to add a livewell in the rear bench.) AntiSkid Vinyl flooring, bimini top and some HID Lights for running the river at night. And last but certainly not least....a new motor...
ETEC.jpg

Stay Tuned....My goal is to have this done by spring.

Updated pics without having to scroll through all 6+ pages.
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

[youtube]UqjTNbHi63k[/youtube]
36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

545985_2519308441970_1831070086_1508841_1465722860_n.jpg

Rodholders.jpg

It does look stout, and that 90 is going to be right at home on the back.
Nice start on your project Lowblazah. I was looking for a Sea Ark
when I found this Lowe. Sea Arks are very popular here and used
mostly on the flats. Keep the pictures coming...Jerry :)

Thanks guys...I'm excited to get it welded, painted and flipped back over to start the inside.

Ordered the baystar hydraulic steering kit today. Then almost pulled the trigger on a CMC PL-65 jackplate but called Bob's Machine first and they are supposed to have a self contained unit for sale starting Jan 1. So I think I'll wait on that until I see what they have to offer.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Awesome boat man. Should be great for getting at those minnesota river flatheads I always see pictures of!

Welding should be completed by tomorrow...he's made good progress with the limited time he has had.

Patched up the transom holes from numerous depth finder mounts
16.jpg

working on the cracks by the tunnel.
17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

Before....
12.jpg

...and after
19.jpg

Sanding and exterior paint is next while I have this beast flipped over.

You should consider Steel Flexing the bottom while it is flipped over. I wish I did mine when I had it flipped. I regret it every time I take it out and it leaks ever so slightly. I truely do not believe you would regret it, ever.

SteelFlex is a product you can coat the underside of your boat with. Here a link to the Fasco web site that carries it.

https://www.fascoepoxies.com/products.html

and there is a hold tread about it in the boat house forum "everything steelflex"

Hope this helps and it not a bad idea to consider.

fool4fish1226 said:
and there is a whole thread about it in the boat house forum "everything steelflex"

22pages of posts later I will say it looks good...but way too glossy for me and I've found (googling) on a few other sites that people have had it chip when beaching frequently. (which is my main shoring method.)

Probably going with a PPG sealer and Paint instead.

Looking forward to more progress! What do you plan on doing with all the whole boat now that you are going to have the console so far forward? Will you have a leaning post/bench to sit on while steering? Also are you going to make some storage or a live well?

I'd skip the steelflex primarily because the hull isn't riveted. If you ran on top of matted vegetation, I'd say do it. Otherwise, I'd just make sure the leaks are sealed after leaving the welder and put whatever paint you want. If you run the boat on the bank, the steelflex will come off.

Latest posts