Taking the Leap. '81 Starcraft Seafarer Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HahnZooKeeper

Reaction score
Well, we're doin' it!!! My boys and I are rebuilding/converting our '81 Starcraft Seafarer. We just got this boat from a good friend of mine this past summer for a song. Almost literally!!! I paid $150 boat/motor/trailer. All were/are in great condition and how could I complain anyway?!? The motor wouldn't start, but a simple carb rebuild and a set of plugs and the '74 Mercury 110 came to life. I think my 8 & 9 year olds were more excited than I was! On our maiden voyage (after many correspondance with the State) I was more than relieved when there were NO leaks in the hull. The trailer pulled straight and easy. We did have to replace the wiring on the trailer, but that was a small price to pay and was relatively simple.
But now that it's winter, I've got an itch that needs scratching. I have been checking out this fantastic website since we got the boat and seen many of the cool conversions of these old tin buckets. It's our turn. We are going to try a front and rear casting platform with a flat floor in the middle.
Here are a few pics of the progress so far. Check'em out and please comment. I hope to learn and steal shamelessly from anyone who's got similar experiences. And even ones who don't!
Thank you, Jeremy The Musky Bucket

Attachments

• Boat 01.26.12 5.jpg
    Boat 01.26.12 5.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 4,895
  • Boat 01.26.12 4.jpg
    Boat 01.26.12 4.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 4,895
  • Boat 01.25.12 3.jpg
    Boat 01.25.12 3.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 4,895
  • boat 01.25.12 1.jpg
    boat 01.25.12 1.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 4,895
  • Boat 01.21.12 1.jpg
    Boat 01.21.12 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4,895
  • Boat 01.16.12 3.jpg
    Boat 01.16.12 3.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 4,895
  • boat day one 3.jpg
    boat day one 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,895
  • boat 08.31.11 7.jpg
    boat 08.31.11 7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,895
Looks great so far! It is very addicting. Even after you are "finished", you will always be tweaking it. Lol. Have fun with it! It's great your kids are involved.

ID BE CAREFUL WITH A 110HP ON THERE,IM WILLING TO BET THAT BOAT IS NOT RATED FOR THAT BIG OF MOTOR. BE SAFE, THAT THING SHOULD DO ABOUT 80MPH WITH ALL THOSE HORSES. WHAT YR AND MAKE IS YOUR MOTOR?

WITH THAT BIG OF MOTOR ON THERE I WOULD ADD A 18 INCHX18 INCH PEICE OF 1/4 0R 3/8 ALUMINUM OR WOOD ON THE BACK OF YOUR TRANSOM FOR A LITTLE EXTRA STRENGTH, AS POSTED A MINUTE AGO I DONT THINK THAT BOATS MADE FOR THAT BIG OF ENGINE AND HORSEPOWER BUT I COULD BE WRONG. CHECK YOUR USCG PLATE FOR CAPACITIES ON WEIGHT AND HP

shawnfish said:
ID BE CAREFUL WITH A 110HP ON THERE,IM WILLING TO BET THAT BOAT IS NOT RATED FOR THAT BIG OF MOTOR. BE SAFE, THAT THING SHOULD DO ABOUT 80MPH WITH ALL THOSE HORSES. WHAT YR AND MAKE IS YOUR MOTOR?

I don't think it's 110hp but the model 110 which is like a 10hp motor. I could be wrong but I would not think anyone would put 110hp motor on that boat.

Thats a nice boat you have there I have a Seafarer myself. Be careful lol making modifications can become addiciting. I started my build last year and I already have a list of things I would like to add to my boat before the spring. Good luck with your build, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Thanks atuck,
Yours is on of the builds I have taken alot of good info from. Hope we can share more info about our Seafarers.
Yeah, I'm already having to catch myself and slow down a little. Just when I say that's it, I want more!!!

More pics coming soon, working on my battery tray as I type this.

i started a few weeks ago and my mind never stops.... i think im driving my wife nuts because its all i talk about :D , cant even go outside without stoping to stare at it and wonder what else i can do to make it even better.

Glad to know my build helped a little bit. I love my Seafarer nice and stable for it's size. I mean I have stood on my front casting deck several times when boat traffic on the lake calmed down just to stand and stretch my legs for a little.

As for things I want to add, like Pitfishin', I am driving myself crazy in a good way thinking I can add this or that. My list for this year includes so far painting the new to me motor I bought at the end of last season (18hp Evinrude), a new bow mount trolling motor, new stern anchor light, close up a few storage compartments to help store things a little better, build lights into the sides of the middle deck to see at night, and hook up small red night fishing lights on the bow and stern casting decks that would provide just enough light at night.

Ha like I said the list has started but it's only the end of January, so it may grow by the end of April lol.

Here are a couple of pics of the battery tray. It still needs to be welded and the tabs bent up slightly to match the ribs in the boat where it will rest.
As you can probably see from my previous post pics, I do NOT have alot of space to work in. This has been a challenge. I get whatever space the kids haven't taken over and the wife still allows. LOL!

I'm glad the ice is on the water, I've got work to do!

Attachments

• Boat battery tray 1.jpg
    Boat battery tray 1.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 4,669
  • Boat battery tray 3.jpg
    Boat battery tray 3.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 4,669
Looks like you are doing a good job on that battery tray... Keep that up and I'm sure your boat will give the appearance it came from the manufacture that way!
I always try to do it right and not jerry rig stuff together so the next guy won't be cussin' me! ;)
Keep it going!
ShowMeGuy

Thanks ShowMeGuy,
I do just that. I am trying really hard to make sure, even if I can't afford the high dollar stuff, that I find a way to make it look professional (or at least like I care about it). I really do want to pass this boat on to my boys when they're ready.
Right now we're trying to figure out the storage situation with the floor plan. I would like to keep the heavy stuff low and the lighter stuff wherever it fits best. I need suggestions on storage for my net and rods. They seem to be the most awkward items that anyone would have onboard. They need to be out of the way until you really need them. I'll try to get a floor plan on here as soon as I can.

I am also looking for suggestions on what to use for replacing my transom (other than laminating two pieces of 3/4" plywood together). My dream is to get a piece of white oak, but so far the dream is not even close to reality. I need a 1-1/2"x9-1/4"x55" piece for the transom and I was wondering what others have used. I would like a solid piece rather than plywood.

Those pesky fishing nets can be tough to store. They make a folding net that stores very well and small. It is pretty inexpensive, and pretty tough when expanded out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001FTU7YY/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
This one is made by Frabil and they make bigger ones too. Hope this helps.

Yeah, those collapsable nets are nice, but we already have a nice Frabil Power Catch Walleye/Muskie net. I have a couple of ideas I'm currently tossing around. One; lay the handle down but the net against the inside hull wall with a bungie cord. Two; the far more complicated idea, create a thin cubby slot in the floor board to put the net/ring in when not in use, but ready in an instant.
Anyway, here's the second rendition of the floor plan. Which could be subject to change.

Attachments

• Seafarer floor plan 2.jpg
    Seafarer floor plan 2.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 1,928
I am sure however it ends up is going to be great! That's the beauty of these mods, they are all one offs! No one is alike.

I learned so much from this forum. Ideas, other peoples mistakes (although I still made a bunch).

Good luck with the build! And have fun with it!

It's been unseasonably warm here in N.E. Indiana and I heard there was a football game on today, but I'd rather work on the boat. Besides my Packers aren't playing (I watched for the commercials). A few good ones (Sketchers one with the dog racing).
Anyway, I got my marine grade plywood yesterday, and I was itching to get started on that portion of the big build. Called my fellow "Cheesehead" and he was more than happy to give me a hand. So we got the front section of the floor cut and fit in. Not quite as easy as I though! I'm the kind of guy who likes to measure (at least) twice before cutting once. Especially when it's my hard earned money on the "chopping block"!!! But any day working with friends is a good day by my standards. THANKS Cheesehead!!!
Take a look at my pics and let me know what you think. Remember, I have a frame of 2x2's that will support this floor when done. I also picked up my transom "protector" plate a few days ago from the great folks at Metal Supermarkets. They did a fantastic job cutting and bending me a piece of stainless that will wrap around my transom when I get it completed. It's gonna keep that massive 9.8hp Mercury from digging in to the transom and the outside shell of the boat at the stern.
Oh yeah, where would I be without the help of my 8yr old Caleb. He is my shadow when it comes to getting things done around here. I love it!!!

Attachments

• Boat transom plate.jpg
    Boat transom plate.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 1,920
  • Boat 02.05.12 1.jpg
    Boat 02.05.12 1.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 1,920
  • Boat 02.05.12 3.jpg
    Boat 02.05.12 3.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 1,920
Got the two back floor pieces fitted yesterday. Another beautiful day, I just couldn't let it go to waste. It's looking more and more like my vision.
Talked with my Dad on the phone for an hour and forty-five minutes yesterday and he said he might have found me a place to get a solid piece of white oak for my transom. Now I'm getting excited about that! I'm hoping that works out, I really want a solid piece of white oak instead of two pieces of plywood glued together.

Attachments

• Boat 02.06.12 1.jpg
    Boat 02.06.12 1.jpg
    971.5 KB · Views: 1,912