My 10 foot flat bottom jon boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimRich

Reaction score
This is my first boat project so bare with me on my lack of experience...lol I've been lurking on the site for a few days and finally got some time to join and add some pics. The story behind this project was to put together a boat to take the kids fishing on and to just have a small boat to cruise around on when we aren't fishing. I picked up the boat from my father inlaw for a grand total of $0.00! Can't beat that price...lol It need some work but I'm looking forward to it.
Here she is the day I brought her home-
IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

She's pretty rough and looked worse before I brought it home. Those pics were after a bath with a pressure washer...lol
Here is a pic after a quick paint job on the sides with some paint I had lying around.
IMAG0120.jpg

Looks 10 times better but there is still some work to be done. I need to check for leaks on the bottom (there are a few patched from my father inlaw). and I need to clean up the interior and prep it for paint. Then I will move on to building on it.
I picked up a 1998 2.5hp Mercury from craigslist on a trade for some of my old rc car equipment! Score!!! She fires up on the second pull... :)
IMAG0316.jpg

Here is where she sits right now. I have the old wood out of the transom and replaced it. I also removed the old seats and wood underneath them. I'll be sealing and painting the wood on the transom I just have it on for a test fit for now.
IMAG0327.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions!
Thanks,
Tim

Thanks guys! I'll definately keep you posted with pics and updates. Planning on checking for leaks this weekend. Hope I don't have many...lol

Update: Did a little work on the boat this past weekend and I have a few leaks. Theres about 3 rivits leaking and I found a small crack that I'll have to get fixed. I'll take some pics and post them up soon. Hoping to get the leaks fixed this weekend so I can get out on the water soon! I need to get her out to test the stability before I add anything to the boat.

Boats looking good. What is the Beam? Looks to be 32" or 36" (bottom). Did you get it on the water?

Cheers :beer:

pipemajor said:
Boats looking good. What is the Beam? Looks to be 32" or 36" (bottom). Did you get it on the water?

Cheers :beer:
Thanks! I believe when I measured it I got 32" at the bottom. Haven't got it on the water yet but I got the bottom all sealed up and painted and I'll be flipping it over to work on the inside this week. I'll post up some pics of the progress shortly.

Thanks Fool4fish! That's only 2 coats and it came out pretty even. I'm happy with it for now. Itchin to get it wet but I want to clean up the inside before I hit the water. Once I get it wet then I'll decide how I want to lay out the interior.

DANG! That paint looks awesome. If there's one thing I'm learning from my build, it's to SLOW DOWN!!!! I'll get into a groove, working at a faster and faster pace, then I'll mess something up. If you're operating on a budget like me (and 99% of everyone else on here) it'll save you money in the end. What do you plan on using to seal the transom? I used spar urethane on mine (4 coats) as recommended by others on the forum. Keep up the good work!! (and the picture updates :D )

Thanks dettmer13! I plan on using some urethane to seal it up. Haven't looked to see what's avalible at Lowe's or HD but I'll get Spar if it's avalible. Well for me this has been a pretty slow build. I've had the boat for about a month and so far I've gotten it stripped down and the leaks fixed and the bottom and sides repainted. Next up is the interior paint then I'll get it wet to see if there is anything else I need to fix before I start modding it.

Just a quick update, picked up a trailer for $50 today. :D Well I didn't my father in law did but it's for the boat. It needs some work but it will do the trick. I'll post up pics once it's in my possesion. I'll probably get it from him this weekend.

I found it on craigslist for $75 and he talked them down to $50. He said it needs a little work but it was a solid trailer. I'll post up a pic as soon as I get it.

Looking forward to more pics! Looks like your doing a fine job. I am still trying to work up the confidence and money to start mine, lucky for me I also started with a free boat....Take care and good luck with the rest of the mods.

Thanks bbfire5! Here is a little update. Started painting the inside, I wire wheeled to remove as much of the loose paint and whatever else was still left after pressure washing it. I hit the bottom with rustoleum bedliner to seal and deaden the sound. I'll be adding a carpeted deck so no worries on it getting to hot as it will be covered. I put 2 coats on and will probably add 2 more. I got one good coat on the sides of paint and will add one or two more. I haven't had a chance to get a pic of the trailer yet as it rained off and on all weekend.

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

As promised pics of the $50 trailer... Yes it needs some work but all in all it's not too bad. Mostly surface rust, the tires are ok, the bunks need new carpet which I have, needs a set of lights and it's a little long for my needs so I plan on cutting a few feet off the tounge.
IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

The long tongue is nice for backing up.....it makes it easier to see your boat if your towing with truck. JMO good score on the trailer.

Latest posts