1997 Tracker 185 Pro Jet (MV1850) rebuild

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Novicaine

Post by Novicaine » 05 Oct 2012, 13:20

Some pics of the event, in no particular order:

Next morning when I went to retrieve it from the field "What is a BOAT doing in the middle of a field?":

Here is the place we hit... just looking at the river, it certainly looks navigatable... but if you look close you see those hidden rocks.

You really don't want to ever have to load your boat like this:

This shows a bottom shot where the Hardline came off, but no holes:

This is what sunk it, view from the front:

View from the back:

All in all, I gotta say, the Hardline seems to have held up pretty well, considering the boat was drug up a riverbank and drug through the woods to get to the field.

fool4fish1226

Post by fool4fish1226 » 05 Oct 2012, 13:46

Thanks for sharing the photos - you gonna fix it or ???????
Work: A dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing

Project "A Little Snookered" http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=22132

bigwave

Post by bigwave » 05 Oct 2012, 14:34

What a bummer, I really enjoyed watching you build.....Here in Florida the airboats I see have really thick aluminum and skid plates to jump stumps and sand bars. I would think that the way you built the intake combined with some thicker aluminum plates on the bottom would allow you to jump any rock in the river. The bass boat hull thickness is just not made for solid rock....as you proved....Keep up the good work you still did an awesome job on you boat. On a side note what the heck do think the farmer or deer thought of when they walked up out of the woods and saw your boat......I bet it was priceless.
1984 14 Deep Fisherman Mirrorcraft
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23315

J Hartman

Post by J Hartman » 21 Oct 2012, 07:56

so, if you had to do anything different with this build, would it have been UHMW on the hull? I am looking at a similar boat right now on craigslist.com https://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3342926615.html

Novicaine

Post by Novicaine » 21 Oct 2012, 13:40

J Hartman wrote:so, if you had to do anything different with this build, would it have been UHMW on the hull? I am looking at a similar boat right now on craigslist.com https://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3342926615.html
I think the 2000 Bass Tracker uses a slightly thicker hull than my 1997, but I'm not sure, and I think it may be all welded instead of rivets, so comparing it to mine may not be valid.

Mine, I don't think UHMW would have helped much -- the hull is still too thin to be banging around on any rocks.

That boat on craigslist would be fine for navigating shallower water than where a prop could go, but it's not meant to hit the river bottom, it's meant to not bang up a prop. Adding UHMW may give you a slight edge, but won't make it into something it's not.

Tip: Whenever buying a Sportjet boat, make sure it starts good and make sure it can get up on plane -- if not, the fix may be anything from simple to horrific, there's a lot that can go wrong to debug. It's far easier to have a 100% working boat and then fix problems individually as they arise. Given a boat with starting or planing issues, good luck if you're not an expert on them. Ask "Does it get on plane with 2 guys in it, and if so, how fast does it go?" Google for "Sportjet hard start" and "Sportjet trouble getting on plane" and see how many threads have happy resolutions -- very few and those are usually fairly major/expensive fixes. Don't get me wrong, I love Sportjets, but I've seen lots that have unresolved planing and starting issues (including mine and the donor boat I bought).

PSG-1

Post by PSG-1 » 21 Oct 2012, 19:13

J Hartman wrote:so, if you had to do anything different with this build, would it have been UHMW on the hull?
Don't know about novicaine, but this thread has made a believer out of me, in the use of UHMW. When I do my next jetboat build, it's gonna be a 3/16" bottom, with UHMW for additional insurance. THEN I know I could run the Pee Dee between Cheraw and Rockingham, and not have to worry about the numerous rocks in that river that have yet to be hit by an unfortunate boater.
ALUMA-JET project:
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=22023

Fishing, jet skiing, target shooting, jet-boating, and even a little oyster harvesting with Larry The Cable Guy.
Watch it all right here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HKPSG1Shooter?feature=mhee

F250shane

Post by F250shane » 27 Jan 2013, 10:05

Love the project and cannot believe it sank so soon. I just purchased a 1998 tracker with a 120 sport jet. I need a new intake grate, mine has on grate missing. Any ideas where I can get one?

Thanks in advance,

Shane.

Novicaine

Post by Novicaine » 24 Mar 2013, 12:57

F250shane wrote:Love the project and cannot believe it sank so soon. I just purchased a 1998 tracker with a 120 sport jet. I need a new intake grate, mine has on grate missing. Any ideas where I can get one?
Thanks in advance,
Shane.
I bought the last new one Mercury had last year, so eBay is your best shot.

Just a thought, but if you're going to be running the boat a long time, look for a 95-97 fiberglass sport jet boat with a 120 that runs... you can pick them up pretty reasonable, 1-2k ... and use that engine and pump for spare parts. You'll quickly burn that much up on buying sj120 parts from Mercury if something goes wrong and you want to repair it.