"1959" 15ft Lone Star Newport Restomod.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOY BOAT

Reaction score
I sold my 65 Arkansas traveler to buy a bigger boat. I came across this 1959 Lone Star Newport off craigslist. It has the original 59 Johnson 35hp, and trailer. Simple plans include restoring the boat to original condition right down to the exact paint scheme. But with a modern twist. I plan on updating the seats, adding a radio, building walls for the inside with storage, adding electronics, a bimini top, and maybe a new Evinrude outboard at some point. The transom is solid, and the floors are already done, so that saves me some coin and time. Trailer lights and tires are new, and the outboard just got a tuneup with a lower end oil change. So for now, we are going to do what we did with our last tin. Put it in the water, and have some fun.
Loanstar.jpg

newcarandboat014.jpg

newcarandboat013.jpg

newcarandboat015.jpg

newcarandboat016.jpg

Lonestarb59007.jpg

ToyBoat...

that is just wonderful !

Glad it is in such excellent structural shape.

Have fun and please...post lotsa pictures when you get to the project.
(I will be living vicariously)
:)

Kismet said:
ToyBoat...

that is just wonderful !

Glad it is in such excellent structural shape.

Have fun and please...post lotsa pictures when you get to the project.
(I will be living vicariously)
Thank you.
I love all the chrome on this thing.
chrome001.jpg

Well my restomod just took a turn I had not really planned on. I had been looking for a 35-50 hp motor to replace the old johnson, but I came across a great running "85" 75 hp Mercury with power trim, controls and cables for a great price.
The hull is rated at 70hp max so I hope the Lone Star boat company under rated it a bit. :roll:

Seems to fit the boat nicely,doesn't look out of place at all.
Nice find.

Well so far I have replaced the controls, the cables, and the water pump assembly. Did find the Copper pickup tube was cracked. It had a freeze up at one point. Luckily it happened in the tube and not someplace more expensive. :roll:
My goal at this point is just to get it on the water once before taking it apart for paint. :D

I had to replace the water pump with a kit, and found the copper pickup tube was cracked. I cut out the bad section, and soldered a new section of copper 1/2" "M" tubing. Now she pumps like new. And adjusted the throttle cable.
So Sunday is the big day. I am going to find out how fast a 500lb hull, and 265lb motor cam be moved with 75hp. I am 160lbs. So with fuel, gear and me I still should be under 1000lbs. I am thinking 40-50 mph with just me in it.

You be careful.

and...not to nag...but uh, hmmm, someone mentioned needing LOTS of pictures, and there haven't been all that many.

just sayin'

Kismet said:
You be careful.

and...not to nag...but uh, hmmm, someone mentioned needing LOTS of pictures, and there haven't been all that many.

just sayin'

I know. My bad. I am going out with another couple, so they can take some pics like they did for us on our last boat. We are going to take it easy, and ease into it. No hole shots yet till I get acquainted to the boat.

Latest posts