16' Lowe Utility-V: Prepping for paint.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory828

Reaction score
This boat was passed down to us through me and my bro's family. It was our Grandfather's old crabbing boat. It's been sitting for a few years but looks to be in semi-good condition. We look forward to fixing her up and finally getting some use out of her again seeing as we haven't used it since we were kids. This is our first boat and we're definitely excited to get started. This has already been extremely helpful and I'm sure it will continue to be as we strip the boat down and bring new life to it again.

I'll post pics in a little bit, say's they're to big.

Here's our first look at the boat.

Attachments

• DSC08879.jpg
    DSC08879.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 3,221
  • DSC08888.jpg
    DSC08888.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 3,221
  • DSC08881.jpg
    DSC08881.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 3,221
  • DSC08889.jpg
    DSC08889.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 3,221
  • DSC08902.jpg
    DSC08902.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 3,221
  • DSC08883.jpg
    DSC08883.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 3,221
Here is a Pic of the boat after we cleaned it out and power washed it. And to our relief we cleaned out the old gas tank, bought a new gas line (old was rotted), new spark plugs, and with a little luck the motor started right up. We've ordered a carb rebuild kit just to be safe.

Attachments

• DSC08769 (2).jpg
    DSC08769 (2).jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 3,209
Welcome to tinboats, Looks like ya'll got a really awesome hull to start with. I look forward to see what you come up with during this build.

Hey you have a great boat to work with there =D>

So have you pulled a compression test on the motor yet? I have seen those odd looking Johnson decals before and I believe you got yourself a commercial model there. Got any serial numbers you can throw up for us OMC geeks to see :lol:

I can honestly say I don't know what a compression test is... haha, I'm new to this stuff. Here's a pic of the motors serial plate.

Attachments

• DSC08772.jpg
    DSC08772.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 3,176
Well it is just a regular 1991 tiller electric long shaft. It may have been made in Europe though.....?

Thats a nice starting point.. Now get rid of them benches and drop some floors in that baby!!

Are you going to keep the console or go back to tiller handle?

I actually think were gonna try to keep it simple. Here's a list of things we're planning on doing.

-Repaint, white on outside, tan on inside. like this https://www.loweboats.com/utility-boats/v1667/
-We like the console so we'll rebuild that and modify it a little bit.
- We're covering the front two benches for a deck and going to add storage in between.
-The floor is already flat enough for us so to protect the floor were going to try to find a rubber work mat that will still allow any water to run through to the bilge.
-we'll make a small platform all the way in the back to lift the gas tank, battery. etc. off the ground.
-I think it would be cool to add snaps to the straps on type IV throwable cushions to be able to snap them to the benches and easily take them off if needed. Easy way to save money on seats too.

I know i have more ideas i just cant think of the at the moment.

If anyone has any ideas of they're own or helpful incite it would be much appreciated.

We don't have much time to work on the boat unfortunately. We've made a little progress, nothing worthy of a photo though. Here is a layout plan my bro made though. Basically exactly how we hope it to look.

Attachments

• The Boat.png
    The Boat.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,022
Well the fuel hose is only so long and it's only a 6 gallon tank. I'm feelin like the wood on the cast deck will do an ok job of keeping the bow down a little. plus once it's on plane it wont be a big deal.

If you decide to do it you would have to buy a longer hose, I have brand new hose on mine but I'm still buying a whole new hose to relocate it

8 pounds per gallon of fuel and with a 7 gallon fuel tank that's a lot of weight

Even with a 3 gallon that is 24 pounds that will help offset the 100+ lbs of motor

Real nice boat,I like that your keeping it simple.
I'm like you and like the gas in back,it's not all that much weight plus it will vary.
The battery on the other hand doesn't change it's weight could be better towards the bow,especailly if you decide to get a bow mount trolling motor(less wire and maybe smaller diameter) and it gets it away from the gas.

I love the layout you have created but I will agree with the posts above that you will want more weight forward. If your steering console was further forward than it may be ok, but with it back that far and the motor, gas tank, battery also back there the boat may porpoise and take longer to get on plane. And if you have another adult in there back by the steering console you will really be stern heavy when riding. I would advise getting more weight forward for sure. I run with over 200 lbs forward of my front bench to keep it from porpoising......... 14' boat though.

Took some more Pics.

Cast deck is cut out. New console is almost done..ish. (same design, just a little taller) Please ignore the filler NOBODIES PERFECT!. Also my bro managed to score a 1978 Envinrude 6hp, looks refurbished, runs like a charm. Also added a pick of our boat cradle, may be a little overkill but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Attachments

• DSC09011.jpg
    DSC09011.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 974
  • DSC09013.jpg
    DSC09013.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 974
  • DSC09012.jpg
    DSC09012.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 974
  • DSC09017.jpg
    DSC09017.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 974
  • DSC09008.jpg
    DSC09008.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 974
i googled johnson outboard pics and saw a bunch like yours..its driving me nuts wondering about the hood decals!! lol!

shawnfish said:
i googled johnson outboard pics and saw a bunch like yours..its driving me nuts wondering about the hood decals!! lol!

I think that was just a one year decal design shawnfish, I have looked around a little and here is the brochure for the 1991 Johnson. I know they came in dark grey versions also.
https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2504595060101354590MepZrx

Boat is coming along well :D

Latest posts