Q-14 (semi V) AeroCraft Project

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

Do you feel that that 18 hp does the job? I hope that my '63 it will allow me to get on plane. I will have to wait for a few months because we are icing up around here. That was a great deal you found there. They don't make em like that any more, so hold on to them.
Golf is for those who can't fish.

My 1963 Aerocraft semi-v build
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=28345

BrazosDon

Post by BrazosDon »

I am sure it will do a whole lot better even with the added weight of your mod.

BrazosDon

Post by BrazosDon »

Scott, to answer your question about how the my boat runs with the 18hp motor. First I have not made any structural mods on it yet, but I fish with two to three other friends in it and it gets up and planes at about 22 mph, plus. Good enough for me. Hope that helps you.
Last edited by BrazosDon on 21 Apr 2013, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

798hand

Post by 798hand »

how can i order one

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

Thanks BrazosDon,
I can't wait to try it out this spring.

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

Hey 798hand,
We are just starting to build them for production. I think it will be around 6 to 8 weeks before my boss will let me sell any. We have a standing order for almost as many as we can make as of today. I will let you know when they come available.

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

Started back into the project today after about a week off. It got up to a blistering 39 today so I pulled out the barrel and dropped the new (1963) motor in it. This motor has not been run in over 25 years according to the seller. I drained the gear case and everything looked good, no water or metal (I stirred it with a magnet) I put some fresh gear lube in and capped it off. Yesterday I pulled the plugs and put some sea foam in each cylinder and worked it in by pulling on the rope several times then let it set overnight. Came in this morning and put about an ounce of sea foam back into the cylinders and let it set for about 10 min. Threw some new champion plugs in her, said a prayer and started to pull. To my surprise she fired up on the fourth pull. It ran rough for a while coughed and stalled several times but each time ran a little better. I forgot to mention I put 3 gallons of fresh gas mixed 25:1 and about 1.5 oz. of sea foam per gallon in the tank. After messing with the slow idle setting for a while she started to run good. I found the sweet spot and reeved her up slightly and let it run for about 45 minutes. It smoked quite a bit from the sea foam but sounded good. I then dropped the RPM's and sprayed some more sea foam directly into the carb as it was running. It started to run even better after about 3 squirts. That sea foam is some good stuff, it is the first time I tried it and it made me a believer. I let it set out side at 39 degrees for about an hour pulled the choke and started it with less than half a pull. Cleaned it up and called it good, I say she’s ready for spring. I then got out the spar and brushed some on in areas that needed it and started to wire the electronics that need it prior to carpet and bolting it together. I can see the light in the tunnel.

RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Awesome!
Yep there is no such thing as a mechanic in a can but seafoam comes pretty dang close!
If the bait stays dry the fish don't fry!

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

Started in on the carpet today. We started with the bow deck, the bow floor and the mid section floor. We just glued the flat surface and will glue and wrap the edges after the flat area is dry. We used a bakers roller to apply initial application pressure and then put sheets of wood on top to distribute the load. Because we work in the battery industry we have lots of weights available (my poor back).
Attachments
This is the bow floor section waiting for carpet.
This is the bow floor section waiting for carpet.
This is my son Adam applying the glue.
This is my son Adam applying the glue.
This shows the 1/8" ridges from the trowel.
This shows the 1/8" ridges from the trowel.
The weight in the 5 gallon buckets is lead. They weigh about 70 lbs each.
The weight in the 5 gallon buckets is lead. They weigh about 70 lbs each.

Inlandlaker

Post by Inlandlaker »

"At that time I will hit it with some aluminum mag cleaner then wax the crap out of it."

What wax will you use?

Did you consider that vinyl covering instead of carpet?

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

After letting the weight work on the carpet for just short of 24 hours we glued the edges using 3M 1099 adhesive because it dries quickly and sticks very well. I used stainless steel staples to help hold the edges tight while it dryed. We then dropped the peices in place and called it a day. I am very happy with the way it looks and feels. I am using outdoor carpet glue I purchased from the local "Do It Best Hardware". It is compatible with rubber backed marine carpet and it was only about $34.00/gal. with no shipping charges. I am also using the 20 oz. weight carpet I ordered online and it appears to be good and easy to work with. I think it will be comfortable.
Attachments
Dead Phish 1-22-13 (3).JPG
Dead Phish 1-22-13 (2).JPG
Dead Phish 1-22-13 (1).JPG

NextTopBassFisherman

Post by NextTopBassFisherman »

About how much would one of those 24 volt batteries cost?

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

Spent my Sunday gluing carpet and getting things ready to start the final assembly. There is still a lot of fitting and odds and ends but it is really starting to come together. I have to trim some of hatches because they are very tight but the beard trimmer should get me the clearances I need. I will be using stainless continuous hinge (piano hinge) on the hatches. I still have to mount and run the transducer cables to the depth finders and wire a switch panel for the electronics. There is still a ton of stuff to do but I am loving it. Now I have to try to get the glue off my hands, it may take a few days.
Attachments
Taking shape.
Taking shape.
Nothing bolted down yet, the hatches have to be trimmed and fitted.
Nothing bolted down yet, the hatches have to be trimmed and fitted.
Getting near the finish line.
Getting near the finish line.

fender66

Post by fender66 »

Looks amazing. Well done.

I'm still jealous of that shop space you have! :?
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

BrazosDon

Post by BrazosDon »

Fantastic job you did there Scott Mac. You ought to be proud of that mod. I know you will enjoy it.