Fishingtech's 1977 Duracraft build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishingtech

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this site I've been visiting for about two years now and finally I've upgraded from my 10 foot pelican to a 14 foot Duracraft. I have a few ideas in mind and I hope they all work out, any constructive critisizm is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 2,304
image.jpgMade the templates

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 2,227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 2,227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 2,227
I noticed the 110 volt outlets up front, is that so one can plug in the bass-o-matic? Yummmm....nice bass! Sorry I could not help myself. Serious note, that is a fine looking tin and I will follow your progress.

Actually the previous owner put those in and put male plug in ends on the trolling motor and the lights. I'm about to start removing the old paint and start painting, does anyone have suggestions about the process ? I was planning on using a zinc chromate primer and interlux paint.

I have found that a good paint job requires 90% prep and 10% application. The first step is to remove any and all loose paint and crud. Then clean, clean, clean. I like to try a small test spot in an area that will be covered up after the mods. If you like what you see then go for it! If not you may end up stripping, sanding or wheeling off the years of oxidation. I used self etching primer by rust-oleum and rust-oleum top side paint (rolled on then smoothed with a brush). It turned out nice but not great. I have seen, on this site, the combo you are talking about and the results were very good. The primer is a bonding primer that works very well on aluminum. I plan to use it when I paint my outboard before I spray it. Good luck, you have a good start.

After looking at the transom it was easy to see that it needed to be replaced, and since today is the first day we hadn't had rain in a week I figured I'd give it a go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 2,081
I got the transom removed and cut, has anyone used the bondo fiberglass resin jelly on their wood on their transom ? Also there were a LOT of extra holes in the jack plate and transom what would be the best thing to fill those holes that won't be reused

I sandwiched two pieces of 3/4 plywood glued together with Titebond III, then I brushed on fiberglass resin, followed by gelcoat. I hope to get many years out of this method. For the holes I used MarineTex epoxy.

Attachments

• Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,002
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,001
Finally had time to do some work on the boat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 607