Tracker Topper 14 conversion - Finished!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhumbertson

Reaction score
So I traded some guns that I no longer use for a new 14' Tracker Topper with the plans to convert it to my own little Bass Tracker. I picked up a 8hp outboard for $400.00 and got a tailer for free. I've also purchased a Minn Kota bow mount trolling motor to be installed later.

Attachments

• New Tracker Topper.jpg
    New Tracker Topper.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8,916
Built the front deck braces from 2 x 4 and reinforced sides with 1" aluminum square tubing.

Attachments

• Front Deck 1.jpg
    Front Deck 1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 8,869
  • Front Deck 2.jpg
    Front Deck 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 8,869
  • Front Deck 3.jpg
    Front Deck 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8,869
Ran 1" PVC the length of the boat down both sides to have a channel for wiring. Also began to run some of the wiring for the lighting in the front. Installed ground block and built a deck for the the two batteries I plan to have in the rear of the boat.

Attachments

• Electrical 1.jpg
    Electrical 1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 8,869
  • Electrical 2.jpg
    Electrical 2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 8,869
Decking? I Used the expensive stuff, $80.00 a sheet (Marine Grade). Before I made a single cut I used a refrigerator box and made a template. At this point it started to look like what was in my head. Also added some foam under the main floor.

Attachments

• Deck 1.jpg
    Deck 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 8,867
  • Deck 2.jpg
    Deck 2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 8,867
  • Deck 3.jpg
    Deck 3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8,867
  • Foam.jpg
    Foam.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 8,859
More electrical.... installed the navigation light, anchor light, stereo and storage lights.

Attachments

• Navi Light 1.jpg
    Navi Light 1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 8,866
  • Anchor Light.jpg
    Anchor Light.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 8,866
  • Stereo 1.jpg
    Stereo 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 8,866
  • Storage Light.jpg
    Storage Light.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 8,866
More carpeting.... so much fun I tell you.

Attachments

• More Carpet 1.jpg
    More Carpet 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 8,866
  • More carpet 2.jpg
    More carpet 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8,866
  • More Carpet 3.jpg
    More Carpet 3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 8,866
  • More carpet 4.jpg
    More carpet 4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 8,866
So at this point it appears that I'm getting close.... Not so fast. Nothing is actually screwed down. I'm about to take all the decking off so I can get ready for paint.

Attachments

• Pre fit 1.jpg
    Pre fit 1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 8,866
  • Pre fit 2.jpg
    Pre fit 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 8,866
This is what I've been doing all weekend long (and I thought carpeting sucked). Removing paint from a boat is my new least favorite things to do, but it needed to be done this weekend in case the temperature goes above 50 degrees anytime soon so I can paint. My plan is to paint the bottom red and top black. Stay tuned....

Still to come.

Painting the boat.
Install deck for the last time.
Install the seating.
Finish wiring.
Install two fish finders (including down scan imaging).
DIY portable livewell installation.
I'm sure something else....

Then my favorite part. GO FISHING!!!

Attachments

• Paint removal 1.jpg
    Paint removal 1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8,861
  • Paint removal 2.jpg
    Paint removal 2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 8,861
  • Paint removal 3.jpg
    Paint removal 3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8,861
Got back at it this weekend... Weird that I did all this work to strip it and the primer took it right back to the original color (green that is). I used Rustoleum's Self Etching Primer after scrubbing the boat in 37 degree weather I might add. This week I'll be applying some the first coats of actual paint. I've decided to go with red on the bottom and black on top. I'm going to roll and tip the boat using Rustoleum enamel paints.

Attachments

• Primer.jpg
    Primer.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 8,709
How did you mount/support your side console (Pictures pour favor :lol: )? I worry about the extra weight and lost width, but I keep coming back to this idea for stereo, wiring, (& storage) like you've done.

Thx!

Scott1298 I used 1" Aluminum Square Tube and riveted to the boat using L brackets from underneath. Mounted a piece of ply to the front and top to finish the compartment. The dimensions are 45 1/2 " Long and 8" Wide at the top, you don't lose any floor space and it give you a place to mount all the electrical and/or a stereo.

Attachments

• Compartment.jpg
    Compartment.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,479
  • Side Compartment 1.jpg
    Side Compartment 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,360
Got bored and ran back out to WalMart, your redneck super store. Put the 1st coat of red on the bottom.... now I have to be patient and wait 24 hours to do the 2nd coat. Tick tock tick tock. Maybe I'll start on that portable live well I've been day dreaming about.

Attachments

• 1st Coat Bottom 1.jpg
    1st Coat Bottom 1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,478
  • 1st Coat Bottom 2.jpg
    1st Coat Bottom 2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,478
Great job on the build! Doesn't look like you took ANY shortcuts. I really like the idea about using a box for a template... definitely saves you from making a bad cut :p

I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them.

What kind of foam is that under the floor you put down?

Out of curiosity, where did you find the Marine Grade wood and how thick is it? Did you put any kind of sealant on it?

Do you have a hinge on the side panel so you could open it? If so, do you have any pics of it?

Last question, what did you find was the easiest for removing the paint?

Sorry for all the questions and I enjoy reading about your build.

Latest posts