Weldbilt 1448MV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlo

Reaction score
Howdy. This is my second tinboat. Sorry to not post photos of the process, but I was too busy trying to get this one lake ready. Picked the boat up on Friday 2/1 and was pretty much done by Sunday 2/3. Not as involved as the last boat (which leaked like a colander) but I am much happier with the layout of this one, and especially the extra width. Weldbilts have some serious ribs, and the great thing is that the floor ribs are level, making flooring one pretty easy. I put a layer of styrofoam under the floor for additional flotation and to dampen the noise. Caught a mess of crappie from it on 2/8, so so far so good.

Attachments

• P1030246.JPG
    P1030246.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 4,034
  • P1030247.JPG
    P1030247.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 4,033
  • P1030248.JPG
    P1030248.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 4,035
  • P1030249.JPG
    P1030249.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 4,033
=D> =D> =D>

Looks great, love the open layout. Weldbuilts look like they are built like tanks, and the ribs are serious! What do you have pushing that rig?

Ictalurus said:
=D> =D> =D>

Looks great, love the open layout. Weldbuilts look like they are built like tanks, and the ribs are serious! What do you have pushing that rig?

Right now, a 1968 Johnson 9.5. Top speed is about 15 mph. I'd like to get a 15 or 20 hp eventually, but the 9.5 starts easy and runs like a dream, so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

Attachments

• P1030239.JPG
    P1030239.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 4,002
Now that I've spent a little more time on the water, the 9.5 does not push this boat as well as I would like. I found a 15hp johnson on CL,
but am wondering if that's going to be enough of an increase. 18 and 20 hp's are out there, but a little harder to find. Any ideas?

Try to find an outboard as close to the boats max rating as possible to be happy with performance. That boat is probably rated for a 20 or 25 is it not?

tnriverluver said:
Try to find an outboard as close to the boats max rating as possible to be happy with performance. That boat is probably rated for a 20 or 25 is it not?

Yes. The dealer that I got it from also said that a 25 might even be too much, more because of weight than hp. I'm not looking to set any speed records, just was wondering if the difference between a 9.5 and a 15 would be significant. Right now, the 9.5 will plane the boat, unless I'm going into the wind.

I am sure you would be surprised by the difference with the 15. 50% more power than you are currently running. With that said get a 25 and don't look back!!!!

tnriverluver said:
I am sure you would be surprised by the difference with the 15. 50% more power than you are currently running. With that said get a 25 and don't look back!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I also have a 1965 6 hp, so I could get to 15 by strapping both it and the 9.5 on the back!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its rated for a 25Hp tiller.
I have a 1436 with a 80's Johnson 15hp and it seems to be perfect for the max load cap.
That being said a 25hp would be a lot nicer to have, when the load sometimes exceeds what it's supposed to be. I am in the process of working a deal with a fella on a 1448, When/If that goes thru ill let ya know how a 15 does on it(should be next week). I say get a 25 if you can , if not I'm sure the 15 will get you there but not as quick 8)

I, personally, have an Alumacraft 14X48MV and I run a18hp 'Rude '57 model. I thought that my hull would take up to a 30hp but the 18hp is fine and it runs great. I found a chart that might help you guys. ??Good luck.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:xKaZxAlYMxgJ:www.akmccallumco.com/pdf/jon-boat-listing.pdf+alumacraft+jon+boat+specs&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjGPJeYaPG1iU_jsDaUyGu5xrHs5rcNSX_r6wPl7KvPcuZX_OE63yQeP2a4nhg125Wg3yzojgF--Jno9rb7uZ5dRMWd3FRjT6gg_ZuCnCHd_exw40ibhAcuMFtfuoqz0x8_WeOb&sig=AHIEtbRkg-wY0CHjy51JWQ-mhXVRmwBemw

After scouring CL, I found a '73 Johnson 20 hp for $300. Checked it out in a trash can, then took it to a ramp about two miles away. Per my FF GPS, it pushed the boat at 26 mph, and I would not want to go any faster. Kind of scary. Part of that may be that I'm so accustomed to puttering along at 14 mph. The motor has some issues – dies at idle speed, milky looking lower unit oil. But for the price I decided to take a chance. I dropped it off at the house of a guy who rebuilds old motors and he said he thinks he can have it in shape in a few days, unless there are compression issues. I don't have a gauge, so didn't test it, but it ran great at full throttle, so I hoping that the fix is something pretty simple like a carb kit and a lower seal. Thanks again to all for your input. Will post a final verdict soon.

Good find on the motor.
Sounds like the low speed jet needs to be adjusted and or cleaned & a lower unit seal kit installed.
Parts are cheap for that motor!
Hope it treats you right.

Latest posts