My 1st Jon boat need some info on my restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rude91909

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 1985 Lowe 14' deep n wide (Lake Jon) from a friend of mine. It has a 20 horse merc on the back and bought a 40lb minn kota edge bow mount foot controlled for the front. So there is no front bench seat someone over the years has taking it out so it is pretty much open think they used it to duck hunt. I'm just wondering what I should use to make a platform and wood for the decking. Ik how to put carpet on just need to know what I should us on aluminum since water sealant is corrosive to aluminum. All the wood is gunna be treated just kinda need an idea I will put some pics up as well.

Rude91909 said:
I'm just wondering what I should use to make a platform and wood for the decking. Ik how to put carpet on just need to know what I should us on aluminum since water sealant is corrosive to aluminum. All the wood is gunna be treated just kinda need an idea I will put some pics up as well.

Welcome to Tin Boats. You have a good looking project!. I'm a confused. Were you planning on using treated wood? If so don't!! It will corrode aluminum it comes in contact with. If you were planning on treating the wood there are several good choices, the most common being polyurethane. There are lots of great projects here. Take a look at some, lots of good information and great ideas.

No i am not gunna use treated wood i was gunna try to figure out what i should use to yreat the wood so it wouldnt corrode the aluminum. What is a good choice?

Rude91909 said:
No i am not gunna use treated wood i was gunna try to figure out what i should use to yreat the wood so it wouldnt corrode the aluminum. What is a good choice?

Minimum of 3 coats spar urethane. I use Minwax Helmsman.

well i got my boat complete this past weekend it turned out not to bad!!! i will post up some pics when i can

thanks tim It took me a little money and time but im ready to hit the water. if you need any info feel free to ask!!

Latest posts