Grumman 1438 deck with storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Succotash

Reaction score
Hey all, new member here. I recently purchased an 86 Grumman 1438 flat bottom. It had been sitting under a tree for at least 3 years. I managed to steal it for $400. It came with a trailer (unknown make/model), 33 thrust Minn Kota, some seats, and a '76 Johnson 15hp which is going through a major tune up/refresher. Anyways, after getting inspired by several flat bottom builds on this forum, I decided to do a very simple mod. I'm building a basic front casting deck, center bench delete with carpeted decking and gunnels. I plan on installing a 3/4" pin seat base on the casting deck, and on the floor near the previous middle bench location. I know a 1438 isn't the prime candidate for decking however, my previous 12ft jon was probably about as narrow as a canoe and I'm confident that I can comfortably fish from my 1438 with a deck.

Here she is after a little paint job. My 15hp was overheating and would only run for maybe 10 minutes. (Leading me to a total tune up)

Starting the deck framing using 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum angle

Removed center bench

That's all the progress I have made for today, as I have ran out of aluminum. I will update this thread when I resume work on the boat.
Thanks for looking!!

Got some more work done today. I just need to decide exactly where to cut my storage hatches.

This thing makes cutting aluminum so easy!

Waiting on a new impeller, carb kit, and thermostat

Adding some extra bracing to make this thing as strong as possible.

Cardboard first

Getting there!

That's all for today... I just need to create some storage areas, apply sealant, carpet, and install a 3/4" pin seat mount.

Well I finally found out why my o/b was overheating. After a new water pump installation I decided to take off the powerhead, and look at what I discovered. Where the water pickup tube runs up into the exhaust housing there is a huge fracture, and a lot of the surrounding metal is gone. This created a leak, and allowed water run back down the outside of the exhaust housing. When running, I was getting alot of water/exhaust mix coming out of the two small exhaust holes under the powerhead, and I suppose this is why.

I found a replacement on for relatively cheap. Hopefully I can have this thing running halfway decent pretty soon.

Good deal on the new rig!
Looking good !
I like how you did the front deck.
I have thought about removing my bench and doing the same thing to my 1436.

Latest posts