12' Alumacraft Rebuild - NEED ADVICE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arob8924

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is only my second posting. I am working on dreaming up a new plan for the configuration for my 12' Alumacraft V hull. I have a few questions, and a few pictures. I would really appreciate feedback and help. Thanks!

Take a look at the photo (sorry about the lighting) of the existing layout (the second paint drawing is the existing setup). There is a small step seat at the bow, then three bench seats. My question is can I remove the middle seat (2nd from the stern) without compromising the integrity of the hull?

Secondly, Take a look at the paint drawings I did... I would like to maximize the middle area, and put a recepticle for a SHORT pedestal seat. I know that these boats are not the most sturdy, but I was thinking maybe a 12-16" pedestal so I can turn to any direction and fish. Then I can also remove the pedestal and seat if I want, for more space or different uses.

Since the back seat is REALLY far back, I'd like to extend it out towards the bow a bit and then create a storage space between where the seat is now and the transom.

I will leave the two existing bench seats at the bow and the one at the stern. At the bow I will create a small platform area to make some storage lockers... considering putting a little cooler into one side. The strange shaped storage at the bow would be for anchor storage or whatever.

PLEASE let me know what you think about removing that seat, and what you think of my overall plan. Ive been entertaining different ideas for a few weeks and I think this is the best option. Thanks!

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,368
  • boat2.JPG
    boat2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,368
  • boat_setup_original.jpg
    boat_setup_original.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,368
  • Proposed_Boat_setup.jpg
    Proposed_Boat_setup.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,368
I like it a lot I believe I have the same boat but mine is the 14ft and I was just in the garage thinking about the same thing lol let me know what you come up with I don't think it will be that big of a deal to pull the middle seat because on mine it has much thicker supports on the floor under the seats so I think that is where most of the support comes from

Yeah I was actually thinking of cutting the seat out, trimming a bit off and reinstalling it so it connects to the front of the rearmost seat, this would add the stability back in... I havent found anyone who has done something exactly like this... I am not interested in any sort of raised deck at all, which is what almost all of the mods on this site are for. Also, im thinking now that instead of installing the pedestal mount to the floor I could just attach it to plywood so it can be removed completely. I added a picture for my framing plan. All the tan is the wood being added. There will be upright supports in places, but im not going to make a 3D drawing on paint!

Attachments

• boat_setup_wood_framing.jpg
    boat_setup_wood_framing.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,299
Ok so you thinking just making your front deck on top of the front seat and the mini one? And what you doing about pedestals I am a super cheap *** have you seen anything way to make your own pedestal and base lol

Exactly. Think of the front and back as just widened seating area. I like the idea of storage for my gear. The front decking will also double as a front seat in function. I'm cheap too... Hence the tiny boat. The cheapest I've seen for a pedestal setup (w/out the seat) is about $60. I'm really hoping someone can testify that taking the middle seat won't be detrimental.

Ya I was thinking the same thing with decks I already have seats so I just need bases and actual pipe or whatever lol

Google "Taper-lock pedestal mount" I can't find a place that sells both the base plate and post in a package deal but seperatly they aren't near as expensive as some out there

I found the covered front to provide practical storage and help maintain proper weight balance. Also works well as an anchor locker. See the link below for my version.

Rickybobby,

Thanks for the link i like how you did the storage. You pretty much have it the way im thinking of doing it... but I am wanting to remove the middle seat in mine. Do you see any problems in doing that? I dont want to remove the seat and then regret it later.... since I cant afford to just buy another boat right now.

The center seat provides structural rigidity for the hull. I am sure the seat can be safely removed with addition of appropriate extra bracing. And if you plan ahead, you could remove it in a way that would allow you to reinstall it if it didn't work out. I was more interested in covered storage and retaining the flotation foam contained within the seat. You should check out some of the mods on here in which the center seat was removed. Even if the hull was longer that yours, many of the lessons would apply. I have never been sorry I left the seat in, but I certainly see advantages in removing it.

Yeah I do actually have a plan to retain the flotation lost by just taking the removed middle seat and sliding it all the way back to the rear seat and then reattaching it. This would add back the support and also the flotation. I want to extend the rear seat anyways because currently I am way too close to the transom while operating my outboard. Also I should mention this boat is pretty sturdy, the gauge on the aluminum is much thicker and stronger than any of the boats I have seen of that size. I just hate to mess with it without getting some advice first! But I am thinking that by doing it this way is the best. What do you think?

Today I ground and painted angle iron, a few iron straps, and a new piece of wood to raise the transom about 4.5". My motor needed to come up a bit so the cavitation plate is running level with the hull. It needs to dry for a few days but i'll post photos after I install it. After that ill begin building my bow storage locker.

I still havent had anyone confirm that my idea to slide the middle bench seat back to the rear seat is a good one. Any takers that want to give me a little piece of mind? Would really like to see a photo of a 12 foot boat that has the middle seat out of and are happy with the results. Thanks!

Taking that middle seat out will allow the hull to flex some. Usually beefing up the ribs can help. I've not seen a boat with the middle and rear seats pushed together, yours could be the first!

Cool thanks for the replies. The more I talk about it the more im talking myself into it. The reason I want to slide that seat back is I need to get some distance between where I sit and the transom, the back seat is only about 8" from the transom! Hard to handle an outboard that close! So you think i should bracket in some sort of cross piece at the floor where the seat used to be?

Well pulled the seats tonight and I am pumped about what is coming the side walls do move a little bit but I am not to worried I am going to add a little bit of support and be doneImageUploadedByTapatalk1394590449.707535.jpg

Wow took them all out huh? How are you going to put supports in? I've been thinking about that and not sure how supporting a wall at the base would provide the same strength as having the bracing near the gunwale like they are made originally. I'm working on a few other projects first before ripping a seat out. When are you going to test it on the water?

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?id=35749

Pretty much going to still Dmans idea that's where I got a lot of my ideas