1970 Lonestar 14 Foot Semi V Hull Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayouSerpent

Reaction score
Picked this boat and trailer off craigslist for a fair price. But when I got it home I found that the trailer was in really bad shape. So, I am going to overhaul the trailer first. New everything but the frame.

The motor I am going to use on the boat is a 2000 Yamaha 25hp 4-Stroke. It has been to storage for 10 years, can't wait to put it in use again.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,992
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,992
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 2,992
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 2,992
I ordered a 1/4" Aluminum 4"x4" Angle, that really stiffened out the transom. Still need to add some 2"x2" aluminum bracing.

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 2,860
We'll I found the trailer had cracked welds. In addition, I need to add 18 inches. So off to lowes to purchase a welder. Been needing one so now is the perfect time! Got the trailer pretty much done for now. I am rushed for time, I am taking her to Toledo bend for the 4th of July. Can't wait to get
Her in the water for the first time. I did some more work to the transom
And installed two 8 inch pioneer marine speakers in the bow area
, will post those pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 2,835
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 2,835
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 2,835
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 2,835
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,835
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,835
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,835
Well guys its 24 hours before I leave for the 4th of July Toledo bend trip. So I am at his point just trying to get it lake ready in a hurry. Most of these are temporary, so go easy on me..lol

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 2,803
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 2,803
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 2,803
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 2,803
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 2,803
The Motor is bolted on and the holes RTV'ed. Went ahead and got insurance for it not bad 195 for a year !! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• photo10.jpg
    photo10.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,783
Well the first trip with the rebuilt trailer was excellent no issues at all.

The boat did great for its first time in the water with me. The motor worked flawlessly even after sitting in storage for 10 years.

Caught a few fish too! Was great time, can't wait for the next trip.

I didn't get speed on the GPS, but I will the next trip. I am guessing around 28mph.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,682
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,682
Well I needed a bigger boat for the family. Found a 1963 StarCraft StarChief for $800 bucks. So now I will two boat projects going on at the same time.

Attachments

• 10419518_10202065410586110_586209857282989134_n.jpg
    10419518_10202065410586110_586209857282989134_n.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2,596
That Starcraft is awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm keeping my eyes out for something similar for a future project.

Yes this StarCraft is a diamond in the rough. I took it out over the weekend and what a head turner. Even had the ladies come over and check it out, they thought it was so cool! 8)

I have my work cut out for me I will post more pics very soon. The windshield and transom are the two biggest repairs needed.

Also, I was wondering if I should start a new thread for that build. Otherwise it might get confusing, what you think?

Ok, yes I will start a new thread for the StarChief.

Are those circulating fans in the bow or speakers? If they're fans that's an awesome idea!

Nah they are Speakers, 8" Pioneers. If I need wind in my face on the boat, I just go for a Cruise.

However, that is an interesting idea/concept.

Lets say they were fans and had a water cooled from the lake radiator behind them. Now that would give a cool breeze for the guy in the front fishing deck. Hmm the possibilities...

Attachments

• Drawingredneckcooling.jpg
    Drawingredneckcooling.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,541
That's what I was thinking

A little livewell pump + a trip to the junkyard = fishing bliss

Well been playing around with the propeller pitch on Yamaha 25 with the online calculators.

I ordered one....just got here today!!

Need to get it in the water and give it go. Hoping for a steady speed above 30mph.

Running the stock 9 7/8 x10.5

New Prop: 9.9x13

Attachments

• New Propeller for the Yam 25.JPG
    New Propeller for the Yam 25.JPG
    870.7 KB · Views: 2,519
We'll I was close, 29.5mph. The wind was bad, the lake was white capping, will try again before I make my mind up and get a real prop
A SS one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 2,471
Great looking boat I have a 1961 lone star and have been on the back burner for some time now (sidework is crazy busy) but i am looking to do the trailer soon what kind of brackets did you use for the runners? also you didnt have to put any rollers for the v-hull part?

I have redone the transome with marine grade ply the whole transome not just the little area that it was originally. I've been pickup material here and there getting ready for winter time work.

So hopefully time will be on my side soon.
Keep me posted on boat would like to see it done.

Scott

Are you running a separate batterey for the stereo? I would like to add a radio to my Model F build, but would be afraid it would run down the battery too quickly with the trolling motor.

assaultcraft8993 said:
Great looking boat I have a 1961 lone star and have been on the back burner for some time now (sidework is crazy busy) but i am looking to do the trailer soon what kind of brackets did you use for the runners? also you didnt have to put any rollers for the v-hull part?

I have redone the transome with marine grade ply the whole transome not just the little area that it was originally. I've been pickup material here and there getting ready for winter time work.

So hopefully time will be on my side soon.
Keep me posted on boat would like to see it done.

Scott

Hello Scott,

I used bunk brackets from Amazon.com. Just not each box has two. Also installed a new kneel rest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AYCG3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GJ7A5W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s06?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In fact I ordered all of parts from them. Great prices and free shipping with the prime membership.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361278#p361278 said:
sworrior » 28 Jul 2014, 11:00[/url]"]Are you running a separate batterey for the stereo? I would like to add a radio to my Model F build, but would be afraid it would run down the battery too quickly with the trolling motor.

My current setup is running off a single marine battery group size 29. I do not notice much current draw from the (radio). Acutally do not use a radio at all. I use a amplifier and my smart phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GN5K650/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UTZYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 580
Unless you really blast the music I should think you could use a basic multi-meter to measure the current draw of the AMP if you were so inclined. Just to be safe you could swap your fuse to it out for a 10 amp (typical limit on multi-meter's) and run the music to its typical volume. If your fuse doesn't pop you're safe to use the tester to measure it.

A size 29 I believe has 850 amp hours +/- (I'd have to look @ mine to be sure) but even if your amplifier drew 10A it would last longer than three days playing constantly

Latest posts