Ouachita 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meonline06

Reaction score
Well, continuing my pattern of buying a new boat every two years....I bought a new boat. This time around I picked up an old Ouachita 16' flat bottom. It's 48" across at the bottom of the transom and like all of my old boats....It's a piece of junk. At least the guy I bought it from thought it was. I picked it up along with a trailer that is too small for it, a 40 lb thrust foot controlled trolling motor, and a battery. I actually bought this thing last August, but really haven't done anything with it up until a few weeks ago.

20150803_190655.jpg

20150803_190715.jpg

So, when I bought this thing, I didn't really do all of my homework prior to bringing it home. The guy who had it before me worked with metal for a living and had already began tinkering with it. He put in a lot of framing, including removing the old wooden transom and replacing it with metal. At the time I thought that was great and just less work that I was going to have to do. After I got everything home I wanted to get a good look at the trailer, so I went to move the boat to the ground and realized that this thing was way heavier than it should be. Turns out some of the framework the PO had done was steel. Some was aluminum. I'm guessing he just used whatever scrap metal he had left over at work. For the record, I am aware that the steel and the aluminum can react with each other. No, I am not going to remove the steel and start over. I'm sure I will get a few years of fun out of this thing before I will ever run into any problems and as history has proven, I'll have a new boat in a couple years anyway.

20150803_203241.jpg

20150803_203248.jpg

This is pretty much how everything looked day 1. At this point I have already finished framing the front deck. I've cut 19/32" plywood to cover everything and have been fishing from it for several weeks. I wanted to test everything out on the water before I cut out the hatches and seal the wood. I also forgot to mention that after doing a leak test there were maybe 5 or 6 rivets (can't remember) that had very slight leaks. I replaced them and haven't had any issues with water leaks while I've been on the water. I'll post a few more pictures soon.

It has been raining just about every day that I've been off work over the last few weeks so I haven't been able to do any fishing. You would think that would give me lots of time to work on the boat....but I haven't done much. I found a few pictures of some of the progress I made prior to starting this thread however.

20160406_195229.jpg
20160406_195253.jpg
I don't have a picture that shows all of the bracing after I finished with it. It is mostly 1" square aluminum tubing riveted together. I plan on having 3 compartments in the front deck. One in the center for my rods and two on either side of that. For right now I am going to have 4 hatches in the back. I say for now because I'm considering cutting out the bracing that is already there and redoing it with the aluminum tube.
20160422_221211.jpg
20160422_221334.jpg
20160422_221254.jpg

I haven't cut out the hatches yet. I wanted to fish the boat a few times and make sure that I liked the layout before cutting and sealing the wood. I took it out 3 times and I am happy with everything. If I get some dry weather in the next few days, I'll seal everything up and get some carpet on it. I had been looking for a new trailer and a motor on Craigslist and came across an old fiberglass Ebbtide boat that had a 65 hp motor (probably overkill!!!) and nice trailer for next to nothing, so of course I picked it up! I've already started stripping everything off of the glass boat like the console, lights, switches, so forth and so on.... The motor is an old '74 Mercury 650 that fires right up. It has good compression on all 3 cylinders and has working power tilt. The owner said that the motor bogs down when in the water (under load). I'm no mechanic but for the price it's worth trying to sort out. More pictures to come.

20160418_121546.jpg

First fish on the new boat!

Attachments

• 20160422_221334.jpg
    20160422_221334.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 4,978
  • 20160422_221334.jpg
    20160422_221334.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 4,978
I have a 14/48 1972 Quachita that I bought this January. I did a full restoration with a center console convert. Check it out on my profile! Fantastic boat you have there!

Big_ug_chevy said:
I have a 14/48 1972 Quachita that I bought this January. I did a full restoration with a center console convert. Check it out on my profile! Fantastic boat you have there!
Thanks Big! I followed your build and it is pretty amazing. You paid a lot of attention to the details and it shows. I like what you did with the blue LEDs. I'm going to try and do something similar with red.

I finally got a day of sunshine and a day off from work at the same time, so yesterday I cut out the hatches for the front deck and threw some urethane on everything. I'm stuck at work again today but at least it's nice out again. The wood should be sufficiently cured after today, so hopefully I can get the carpet on tomorrow.
287becfeb53629be5b1bddd0ce097bef.jpg

Here is what the bracing for the front deck and hatches looks like. Figured I'd snap a picture while the wood is off.
ede787f40ff2fdac9f9d6e506377495f.jpg

I mentioned before that I picked up an old glass boat that I intend to use mainly for parts to aid my tin project. I thought I'd post a pic. I've already stripped everything excluding the motor and console. The trailer that it is sitting on will be used for my tin boat. The motor was running on muffs but of course now has no spark at all. I'll have to take a day and see if I can diagnose the cause [emoji107] .

51f6fccdb8fdba866f39163a5f65edce.jpg

5fb52ebe8970abe8bf53cb1c2b87212a.jpg

461e5d7d28b6bd10ba67556329388c23.jpg

Pretty nice old fiberglass bass boat. They made those things heavy back in the day but there's still a lot of them catching fish. I had a 17' square stearned Ouchita(?) canoe some years ago and loved the Indian logo on the sides. That company must have been bought out or went out of business but they made a lot of aluminum boats in Arkansas for a long time. They are getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for sharing your build and your passion for saving the good old boats. I have just about as much fun working on project boats as I do fishing out of them and it really is a pretty cheap hobby relative to lots of others. I've owned some kind of boat since I was 13 years old and went out with my dad in his for years before that.

momule said:
Pretty nice old fiberglass bass boat. They made those things heavy back in the day but there's still a lot of them catching fish. I had a 17' square stearned Ouchita(?) canoe some years ago and loved the Indian logo on the sides. That company must have been bought out or went out of business but they made a lot of aluminum boats in Arkansas for a long time. They are getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for sharing your build and your passion for saving the good old boats. I have just about as much fun working on project boats as I do fishing out of them and it really is a pretty cheap hobby relative to lots of others. I've owned some kind of boat since I was 13 years old and went out with my dad in his for years before that.

I've been considering making the old glass boat my next project. I would like to have a boat for catfishing so I can keep the excess slime off my tin's carpet. The PO said it has a slow leak... I have no experience with fiberglass work, but I also have no problem learning as I go. I agree, working on the boats for me is as much fun as fishing out of them. I need to start keeping a completed project around however so I can fish out of that and not feel like I'm rushing my work. The call of the water is hard for me to ignore this time of year!

I started carpeting the front deck yesterday, but couldn't finish. I'll have to run to the store today and pick up another roll. I've been using the cheap outdoor carpet from Lowes. I had a roll left over from my last project but when I went to use it yesterday I realized that the grains didn't match up. I should be able to get to that today.

Carpet is finished on the front deck. I drove around to every Lowes in my area earlier today and every last one of them were out of the carpet I'm using for this build. I ended up going to Home Depot and picking up the similar brand that they carry. I hate to use two different types of carpet, but I have a date with a lake tomorrow and needed to finish up. Oh well, pretty soon the boat will be too dirty to tell the difference...hopefully. I still have to finish the center hatch, so right now there is a hole in the face of the deck.

c46fd7ef161ce8c2c91558a1e045d55f.jpg

441cee9f0ff5b2ebe6b1645a3eeb1083.jpg

I love the huge front deck. Room enough for a couple bag chairs and a table! Or maybe a bimini top and a hammock.....and yes, I take a pretty relaxed approach to fishing...

meonline06 said:
Big_ug_chevy said:
Thanks Big! I followed your build and it is pretty amazing. You paid a lot of attention to the details and it shows. I like what you did with the blue LEDs. I'm going to try and do something similar with red.

Yeah, I should have went with red myself. The blues are just too much, I will more than likely change them out.

I did some work on the front hatches over the weekend and am just getting around to posting some pics. All I have left is to figure out what I want to use to keep the hatches open. I'm going to try some friction supports and if they don't work I may try to find some affordable struts. I was able to repurpose some piano hinges from my glass boat for the hatches to save some money.

84aaf24c82ab739a03a143e92ae11443.jpg

ffd773ffeb61057ac9071b2e94035dba.jpg

36d69af3f4ec216b2d0e214f66900621.jpg

You may try something like these. Very affordable, I have used them on overhead cabinet doors in my travel trailer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HQ7X6W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003VAT8KE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09JSSBXQPAGQ2203HWYT

It has been 2 years since I last posted on this build. To be honest, I forgot I had started a thread for this one. I fished a few more times back in 2016 with the boat the way it was. I spent the majority of 2017 away from home, so I made no progress on the build until earlier this year.

I've done a good amount of work so far. At this point, the boat is completely functional as a fish hunting machine. If you're familiar with my old builds you know I never approach them in a logical way. Lol. My main goal is always to get out on the water as soon as possible, then I will polish things up as I go. That being said....right now she's all function and not a bit of polish.

I'll post some images of everything I've done tomorrow when I get off work. If the rain holds off I'll be spending Memorial Day on the water which should present some photo ops. The biggest changes from 2 years ago are the addition of an outboard, a console installed, all the decking is complete, and it's sitting on a new trailer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I took these pictures yesterday. I never got out on the water because they were calling for rain which of course never ended up happening. There are 3 compartments under the front deck, 1 under the bench and 6 under the rear deck. There is more storage at this point than I have stuff to put in it. I installed a bilge pump and float switch with a 3 position manual/automatic switch hooked up to it. There are two batteries; one for the motor and one for the accessories and trolling motor. My most recent addition was a 7 inch lowrance. It is temporarily mounted with 2x4's currently. I've hooked up some spotlights up front for late nights.

My near future goals are to paint the hull, add red lights for the inside of the boat, permanently mount the lowrance, add rod holders, add pedestal seats for front and rear deck, and add a recessed tray for the trolling motor foot pedal.

Disclaimer: the boat has been fished out of and worked on so it is extra dirty in these pictures.

There's a lot of rain in the forecast so hopefully I can make some progress soon.
b246872c538f17b8a54871f65e0c23fb.jpg
1f3df764d7a941871cb99a14f52204be.jpg
0438571492268d358bc38fada4d54217.jpg
30859c6be1306e7cebeb43b812f3a250.jpg
6e1aff2ef45c84b7828a8756a49874a5.jpg
02abe7980a2cd26b434d2cd003f8f988.jpg

I've been doing a bit of fishing and a lot of working in the garage the last few weeks. Now that being said, I have made zero progress on the build. I've actually regressed a bit.
d54a6ad4c4c76931e7ea3f4eae61c2d0.jpg

I couldn't resist turning a profit on my motor. I sent it on it's way 2 days ago. Hopefully the new owner will enjoy it as much as I have. Now I know what you're thinking..."what an idiot for selling his motor in the middle of the boating season!"...like I said, I've been doing a lot of work in the garage. The last few weeks I've managed to get my other two motors running. Both are 65 hp. My Evinrude is in great condition and ready to power the boat right now. The other is a Mercury that runs good; I'm waiting for a few parts to come in for it (electric choke plunger, shift and throttle cable) I also have to track down a leak in the power trim/tilt system.
bc1720be484514f5c29d18dd79d9de64.jpg

The Evinrude is on the left and the Mercury is on the right. At this point I'm leaning towards the evinrude since it is ready to go right now. But I've been an old Mercuty 2 stroke fan for a long time. Regardless of which direction I go, I will be getting a jack plate before I repower. My transom is only 16 inches and all my motors have been 20" shafts. I can raise the motor about 2" by mounting it higher but that still leaves it 2" too low.
7cacc47b9eb381338b7829201460ec95.jpg

All the spray in this picture is a good example of what happens when your motor is too low. I also get water over the back of the transom. The jack plate will solve that and improve performance....so will bumping up 25 more hp.

I also fixed up the original trailer the boat came on and sold it yesterday. The previous owner applied a hideous paint job(same one that's on the boat) which luckily came right off with my power washer. After seeing the results I'm going to use it to strip the boat also.
46e5d059e60ae3e2fe22a1568ac18543.jpg

So my goals now are to:
1) buy/install transom jack
2) strip horrible paint job from hull
3) repower the boat
4) finish constructing my console
5) paint the hull

More updates to come soon I hope.

So I had been leaning towards this 65 hp Evinrude to power the boat. I got a top speed of 29 mph with the old 40 horse Merc, and I'm curious to see what speeds 65 hp will get me.
1d1d319269aa39cd10fba1ca922ac532.jpg

However, me being me, I sold this beautiful old 2 stroke this morning. Once again I couldn't resist making a profit. The market is good around here right now. I'm giving serious thought to making motors my side gig. I have my eye on a few right now, but won't have a day off until Sunday.

Back to the build. I still have an old 1974 Mercury 650 (65 hp) that I got running a few weeks ago. I have parts on the way so hopefully I'll have it ready to go soon. I found a used hydraulic jack plate, but haven't decided if it's worth the extra money for me on this boat. It would be an extra $200 vs a standard manual jacker, but it could definitely come in handy when dialing in the motor height. Time will tell which one makes it on the build. I know which one my wife probably doesn't want me to get...