1860 alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyrulz

Reaction score
sold my 1546 and my flats boat to fund the new Jon Yacht, a 2017 Alumacraft MV1860AW :mrgreen:
image.jpg

custom order rigged with their smaller 1756 aluminum center console instead of the ridiculously too big polymer console standard on the 18' made for lots of extra floor space =D>

Here's Day 1 before GPS, transducer, cup holders, & cleats. The wiring was a mess from the factory as well, I had just stuck down the 1st piece of turf:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bob's MJ5 jack plate $280 to my door in 2 days, great guys at https://www.bobsmachineshop.com !

be sure to leave ALL the jack plate bolts loose when hanging the motor or the holes won't line up. cherry picker made the motor hanging job nice & easy. another tip, don't use stainless nyloc nuts, use regular stainless nuts & 2 of them on each bolt, the 2nd nut is the locking nut to keep the 1st from backing off. When I first hung the motor I used nylocs & when I went to take them out they wouldn't come, i had to use a breaker bar & snap off the bolts!
image.jpg

image.jpg

WalMart B size cover for 17-19' boats fits well, & only cost $60:
image.jpg

found a nearly new 2004 Yamaha 60hp 2 stroke, compression test revealed 126psi on each cylinder :lol:

13x17p stiletto prop on the engine was too much, could only hit 5100 on the tach, but found a 13.25x15p which turns proper WOT RPMS around 5500 \:D/

West Marine had the Simrad Go7 on blowout for $550, this is typically a $1k+ sonar/chartplotter & i was about to spend $500 on a non touch screen 5", but saw the deal & scooped it up, the downscan is unbelievable at mapping structure, it really is photographic. i love the interface too, pinch to zoom just like a smart phone. local boat shop had a scrap piece of starboard laying around, made for a nice transducer mount, used black silicone for the install. amazon stick-on rubber cable holders keep the wire tidy:
image.jpg

just like my last rig, i used the gray Blacktip Jetsports flooring off amazon for $60/sheet, 4 sheets total covered floor & decks
image.jpg

trick i learned on this build is to cut the overall shape out, & then press down on any cutouts, like this anchor light socket, & it will stamp the shape you cutout which you can trace with the razor. i then beveled the edge to look cleaner with a dremel sanding wheel, it also worked well for the seat post mount on the front deck
image.jpg

I used the leftover black tubing from the throttle/shift/fuel lines to clean up the factory wiring job:
image.jpg

i will say the welding quality on this 1860 is night & day from the 1546, the welds are absolutely perfect everywhere.

however, their electrical team leaves MUCH to be desired. they used wal-mart non-heat shrink, plastic non-waterproof butt connectors for the splice on the bilge! seriously?!

same horrible plastic non-waterproof butt connectors, ring connectors, spade connectors, etc. on EVERY electrical connection under the dash too ](*,) so I am going through with liquid electrical tape finishing their half-witted wiring job (knew i should've done it myself! lol)

Here's the Simrad installed before cup holders, notice the wiring mess:
image.jpg

& here's the boat after Simrad, cup holders, turf, & 4 cleats:
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

36.7mph as top speed so far

Still to come red LED under gunwale lighting, rod holders, leaning post, & some tunes...

Impressive! Congrats to you, nicely rigged and all.

LOVE the tip on scoring around the perimeter of that foam flooring material - thanks =D> !

Remain stunned ... :roll: at their factory wiring of a bilge pump ...

thanks y'all

wmk0002 said:
How fast does that motor/prop push it at 5500 rpms?
36-37mph with me, 1 passenger, 18 gallons of fuel, & a single group 24 battery

red LED under-gunwale lighting for $25 on Amazon (two 16' rolls):
HitLights 3528
815ywDZt0UL._SL1500_.jpg

50' roll of 16/2 marine wire for $23 also on Amazon:
21E9mJQFSZL.jpg

for tunes, I'm looking at 4 Wetsounds 6.5" speakers powered a Kenwood amp:

KAC-M1824BT
image_product01_on.png

SW-65i
01.png

will hide amp under the shelf under the console, & mount the control to the dash. This allows Pandora to stream from a phone inside adry box, but still change song & adjust volume without pulling phone out.

Nice boat. It really stinks that a boat rigger would do wiring like that. But it's a nice little job for u to fix and know it's done right.

I think I have the same led lighting u got. I just got mine the other day and couldn't wait to see what it look like. So I taped it in and wired it to a battery.
a3d568c1ae68fe70fa7b420c4f4b8a8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thx for the pic of the lights

ADIBOO said:
Nice and simple! That's an impressive speed your putting down.
feels slow compared to the 44mph my flats boat was doing tho! i like drafting only 4" or i'd have gone with more HP

while i fish & hunt, i also enjoy camping & relaxing in the boat too which is why i definitely will be installing a sound system. it will be geared toward battery life as opposed to rocking the whole sandbar though, as long as i can hear it while i'm running, i'll be happy. i had a small amp on 2 6x9s in my flats boat & it would play all day without killing the battery, going to replicate this setup in the jon yacht except with slightly more amp & 2 extra speakers

yesterday I got the wire run for the red LED courtesy lights being installed under the gunwale. i just ran it from the console into the bilge, & then removed the trolling motor panel, & ran my fish tape from there into the bilge & pulled the wire up into the bow, I'll show y'all the finished product soon, lights should be here today & I'll get 'em in this week

i made the best $30 investment of my boating career the other day at wal-mart:
67d76389-aa0a-4358-b3e4-1346e8b5e780_1.905dc0ab70c243eeef0e27b0b15e97a8.jpeg

literally the most comfortable boat seat ever, can't want to lounge in it with my 12ga during duck season :mrgreen:

chevyrulz said:
i made the best $30 investment of my boating career the other day at wal-mart:
67d76389-aa0a-4358-b3e4-1346e8b5e780_1.905dc0ab70c243eeef0e27b0b15e97a8.jpeg
I hear you there! AWESOME seats! I had 2 of them that I'd keep out in my back cockpit when I was tuna fishing, in bright yellow color to boot! My buddy had them in fluorescent orange, which was cool too.

Always ended up pulling back to the dock with at least one of my crew fast asleep in them! Now if only I had a place to store them on my 16 footer, LOL :lol:

LOL my kids have those on our back porch for watching TV...most comfortable chair EVER!

The foam pellets in them get crushed down pretty quick - but you can order more from Walmart to refill the chair with as it gets flattened out.

hitlights are awesome, can't believe how much less they cost than the same product on superbrightleds.com & other websites. i used the 16/2 tinned marine duplex wire for the install, & it cost more than the lights! lol

i ran the main wire for these LEDs from the center console into the bilge, then from the bilge up into the bow, removed the trolling motor panel for access to the bow to get to the gunwales, & ran the main wire to the starboard side, then a jumper wire to the port side. i then spliced the main wire going to that starboard side into the existing courtesy light circuit so that when the existing courtesy light switch is hit, the red under gunwale lights come on as well:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

it's just enough light to see what your doing in the dark, not trip & fall, figure out what decoy you have in hand, tie on a new hook, etc. without blinding you.

I also had the fabricator come yesterday to render the custom leaning post design. It's going to be sick! powder coated black, removable & stowable backrest, storage under seat, 4-6 rocket launchers, going with 33" width & 13" off the bench height, hopefully he can find the old school or bottomlands fabric, but if not going to use tan...stay tuned!

Like the red, doesn't look like it would cause the night blindness that some do...:)

Nice I like it. Does your boat have the wider rail so u can tuck your lights under? Yours don't seam to shine up like mine do.

chevyrulz said:
Fordracing2105 said:
Does your boat have the wider rail so u can tuck your lights under?
yea

I haven't had mine on the water yet but I think mine is going to be to bright. My boat was suppose to be order with a wider heavy rail but somewhere along the line it go screwed up. I might have to look for a dimmer.

Nice work again

Latest posts