1648 Center console or stick steer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotus623

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I got a really nice welded 1648 Polar Kraft boat. It has a Mercury 25/20 Jet tiller steer on the back. We can run with a full load, about 16-17MPH and run in 6" of water or so.

I use this boat in rocky, skinny water. The bottom is coated with a kevlar epoxy to help protect the bottom some. The plan is still NOT to hit any rocks!!!

The issue that I am having is my guest sits up in front of me and I hate relying on them to tell me which way to go. I want to be up front.

The boat is wide and stabil enough to support a console, so that is not the concern.

I am wondering between two different setups. There is no bench seat and I do not want a side console. I would prefer a center console way up front so that I can stand and steer the boat. I would have maximum visibility this way. Next option would be a stick steer, but they arent really made for standing, so that would decrease visibility some.

I went to AK mccallum.com and found some nice center consoles, but they want a ton of money to ship them from NC to VA. The ride is too long to warrant picking it up. If I were to add a CC up front where would be a good place to order one from? Anyone that does this sort of thing in the VA area? Thanks for the help guys, I am still playing with ideas here............

Welcome Aboard, Rotus

what do you think about building your own console
custom designed just for you and your rig ???..........

you could make your own console station out of 1/2" plywood
and fiberglass over it.
- or - aluminum sheet metal riveted (or welded) together.
some sheet metal, angle metal, a jig saw, drill and some pop rivets and it's done.

oh, and your link to Mccallum does not work - maybe it should be https://www.akmccallumco.com/

They're shipping to me when they quoted me for a side storage box 30x12 which is pretty large was really reasonable only like 30 dollars. I'd contact them again and ask if they can do better then that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned a stick steering boat once.

I hated it. I had to be seated at all times. It jammed me way up in the front of the small boat. I had 2/3rds of the boat behind me and all that I could use comfortably was the front 1/3rd. cluttered with the trolling motor, anchor and me.

Did I mention that I didn't like my stick steering boat?

richg99

Thanks for input guys. Rich I'm with you I don't think a stick steer is for me. CRR the console I wanted tohabe shipped is 40" long and they assured me that it would be around $200. I could
Drive down There if I had to but it's a 4 hr ride each way.

Johnny, I am a custom build Guy for sure. Wish I could weld aluminum. I'm not opposed to riviting but sheet aluminum is expensive and I'm not sure I'd save a ton of money making one. Plus I got a welded boat so I was hoping not to add
Rivets.

I have a welded G3, but the front deck is riveted on. I have no problem with that.

I'd visit a couple of scrap yards and see what is around. If nothing else, you might find some sheets that would work. Or, drop by a local sheet metal/welding shop. See what they can bend up for you.

Four-hour drive....Hmmmm...I've done that way too many times, sometimes in one day to buy a boat....

I remember leaving at 2 a.m. in the morning one time to go about 3 hours one way. Boat wasn't what I wanted... so the trip was almost wasted.

I did get to listen to the audio version of Silence of the Lambs on the cassette player all night long. Some of you might remember cassette players Ha Ha...
richg99

Rich I have done the same brother! I'm all over the east coast with my boat endeavors but time on the road equals less time on the water. I got a great welder up the road from me but he has gotten into some contract work. Riveting isn't terrible but I'm sure after I get the angled aluminum and some aluminum sheets the price will be up there. Sounds like a trip to the local scrapyard may be in order.

Rotus623...I recently did a console conversion like what you are inquiring about. I searched hi and low for a console that met my requirements of budget and size. I could find either one or the other but not both.
I finally ended up building my own. I had the resources to weld it myself so I saved some money there, but had about $200 in the console once it was over.

I will recommend going as narrow as possible on the console. My boat is a 1754 and my floor is 60" wide. The console I built is 20" wide. While there is a fair amount of room on either side, I still hold onto the windshield frame when walking around it. I wish I had made it only the width of the steering wheel now. In my case the console is only there to hold up the steering wheel and throttle.

I have a lot of info on what I do and don't like about the conversion, including what I spent, and what the conversion led me to spend afterwards.

Ask questions if you like.

Rob

Coming to you from planet Earth.

Rich,
Thanks for the link. I called Eds and they said they don't sell center consoles only side consoles and they quoted me $1200 uninstalled. Crazy!!!

EBug thanks for the input. I think you are correct will be better to make or have it made. I talked
To Starkey st james River jets and am going to bring the boat by there and have him take a look. I am considering having him tunnel the hull and welding 1/2" Rod holder bases to the rails. He does good work and is very reasonably priced for the most part. I'm going to head there hopefully on Friday and pick his brain some. But i do agree with you guys the size of the console will play a big part. I'm going to make it as small as possible, probably 15" or so wide and 12" deep. Just big enough to get a group 24 or 27 under the console and have a little room for odds and ends.

I really like the idea of standing and being as far forward as possible so I can see what's going on up ahead and have the stern sit a little higher in the water. Mainly a catfishing boat so I won't be going on and off the front casting deck much. Won't need to get by the console too often.

I have a 20' deep v that I striper and catfish out of with a 130 evinrude. That's my big water rig. I don't want to get a bigger aluminum boat because I like the accessibility that this 1648 gives me. I have owned a 1232, 1432 and 1436 and would never DREAM of adding a console on a boat that small. There is a WORLD of difference when moving To the 1648. What a good decision!!

Do you plan on mounting the console up on the deck or on the floor? Mine is on the floor because I wanted to keep the deck open and the height is fine for me since I'm 5'6" tall. The Lowe console is probably the widest I would go on a 1648, I have a 1652. The Lowe is smaller dimensions than what you mentioned so maybe that would be cheaper to ship. Here's my setup to give you an idea, I have the battery under the console to help get weight forward. I had a custom railing and windshield made for it.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 4,134
  • Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 4,134
  • Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 4,134
Man you guys are so helpful on here!! Jeff I too am 5'6" so I probably don't need a console as big as I am thinking. I am guessing you have the Lowe console? If not, how tall is it? Also how did you flip your side control box over
To fit instead of using a center console box?

Yes, my boat has the Lowe console, it was in the boat when I got it. It's 30" tall which is perfect for my height. I like having a railing to hold onto so I had it made and it's comfortable. I think all the side mount controls are reversible, I know my Mercury is and my OMC one was. You take the bolt out holding the handle and flip it around. I don't know if there would be enough room on the console for the wheel and a top mount control, you would need a smaller wheel to fit both. My console was farther back when I got the boat so I moved it about 2' forward to get the weight balanced out better and you can see better as well.

I ran the steering, control cables and wiring out the bottom of the console and up the side of the boat on back.

Attachments

• cables3.jpg
    cables3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,563
  • cables2.jpg
    cables2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,563
Wow thanks! You have been a huge help! I am going to call ak and see what they will ship the Lowe console for. I plan on putting my build up on here.

Latest posts