1990 tracker pro deep vee transom and floor restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockndam25

Reaction score
After finishing the thunderbolt 180 with a new 3.0 mercruiser and having a blast on the river last summer I decided to take on a fishing boat, I have to say I love tin boats the floor came right up and the transom is almost out in one weekend.

Some of the transom is so swollen in the center and the outsides are dry rotten corn flakes, any ideas on a trick to get it out in one piece, I tried pulling it out from the sides and it breaks easy the center is some what solid and swollen tried putting a screw into it and attaching a strap to lift with and it's not moving at all, my last thought was attaching a ratchet strap to a trust in the garage and lifting out that way.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 5,180
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 5,180
Thanks Johnny I will try that tomorrow, every project has hurdles to jump but we will get there if we keep running

As Johnny stated got a good grip on the wood, pull on it real good, double check and make sure you didn't miss a screw or through bolt. Use a dead blow or rubber mallet to smack the out side transom skin, not to hard. couple a good blows is usually enough to make the transom wood start moving. It will come out, just needs a little convincing.

It was like pulling out a wet graham cracker out of your pocket but it's out now, and the fun begins.

I want to say it's awesome to have a form like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 5,110
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 5,110
Thanks Jonny I use a 2x4 and a big screw wrapped the strap around it and pick the boat up off the floor, after bouncing it for a few it popped out the sides broke so I will have to use some card board to make a templet as you mentioned. I have all the epoxy I need to do this left over from a glass boat I did last year. glass boats can be a pain. glad I got me a nice tin boat to work on now.

Transom glued screw and tattooed, I put 3 coats of epoxy on it, took longer than I thought it would.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 5,023
Just need a full day to install the transom, get time to work on it can be my biggest challenge, while waiting for the transom epoxy to dry I started working on the splash well, if it's leaking more caulk is not the answer I had to scrape off 4 different kinds of caulk. I think someone used liquid nails on it too.

Tracker had put some foam above the floor under the splash well in the corners, why? And do I need to put it back I was wanting to have the extra space for a second battery to run lights for bow fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 4,972
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 4,972
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 4,972
Jonny do you think Tracker put that foam above the floor just to keep the noise down or a little floatation it was in the back corners above the floor and was hard to remove because of the knee braces, I really don't want to put it back unless it's needed, Thanks for all the help you give to the members on this form, David

Sorry I have not posted in a while, Funny how life sometimes get in the way of projects that need attending to. anyway I wrapped the carpet under the plywood so it gave it a clean look, now that the transom is done and the floors I'm moving on the motor, never heard it run, got the boat so cheep that I didn't care if it did, but I got about 110 psi on the compression test. And the VRO was bypassed by the pre owner.

Try reducing the size of the pics to see if they place correctly. I have found that has worked for me in the past.....:) I don't remember right off what size I took them down too,,sorry.

Lets see if this works

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,017
Sorry I have not posted in a while, Funny how life sometimes get in the way of projects that need attending to. anyway I wrapped the carpet under the plywood so it gave it a clean look, now that the transom is done and the floors I'm moving on the motor, never heard it run, got the boat so cheep that I didn't care if it did, but I got about 110 psi on the compression test. And the VRO was bypassed by the pre owner.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_0169 - Copy (2).JPG
    IMG_0169 - Copy (2).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,015
I got the outboard running great used it all summer, the only thing is the new fuel tank has a one way air valve and keeps pressure on the tank and it’s causing a flooding issue, I think if I cut the plastic so air can escape it wouldn’t flood my carburetors.

A fuel demand valve like the one shown below should solve your tank pressure problem. It is installed in your fuel line between the tank and the bulb. Just google "fuel demand valve".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 10.24.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 10.24.15 PM.png
    186.8 KB · Views: 923

Latest posts