Delete

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you sir!

At first I tried hydrocloric acid. I was surprised that even at 100% it did NOTHING. Seems others have had good results so no idea why it did not work for me. I thought I received a dud gallon so I poured some on rocks in my yard and it was VERY potent. Bubbling / fizzing and such. I tried scrubbing with the acid and it was no better than without it. So the stains were more oxidation than calcium or crust.

Next, I tried heavy duty oven cleaner which is actually alkali / not acid. But that is what did the trick. We lifted the boat out on the driveway on a large tarp for good ventilation and sprayed the entire hull with it (after doing some test patches). Upon spraying, we scrubbed the hull with plastic heavy duty brushes and let sit for about 10 minutes. Then we hit it again with the oven cleaner and used red scotch brite & scrubbed... and scrubbed.. and scrubbed. I also used sanding sponges on the worst parts on the bottom. Once we were satisfied with the results, we pressure washed the boat and scrubbed it with dawn dish detergent. Was a detailed scrubbing to make sure all of the oven cleaner was gone / making sure to pressure wash every nook and cranny.

Nice looking boat.
Have you used the Alumaloy rod before? Their not as easy to use as shown in the commercials. Over heating of the aluminum can cause more issues.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Nice looking boat.
Have you used the Alumaloy rod before? Their not as easy to use as shown in the commercials. Over heating of the aluminum can cause more issues.

I have not - this will be a first go. I have aluminum here to practice on in different thicknesses as well as both mapp gas and propane. Only other thing I have going for me is an extensive background in soldering electronics and have sweated a few pipes in my day... hopefully that will help me out a bit!

And yes, I am concerned with tempering the aluminum which would not be good on a boat. Luckily most of the holes are in the rail up high with only a handful on the side of the hull. Will see how it goes (fingers crossed)

water bouy said:
Very nice. I bet it could handle a 25 hp no problem.

That would be a lot of fun! Most all the lakes I go to however are electric or 10hp limited so she will likely never see any power like that. Factory the boat is rated at 25hp.

The alumaloy stuff worked great! Took just a little practice. For parts on the thinner hull, you have to heat a large area going back and forth, then focus on the area you want... but keep heating the large area or you can easily distort the hull.

Took about 40 minutes to fill around 20 holes :) Here is a photo of two filled holes. I also included a video of me filling a hole. Once done - I used a carbide burr to take it down a bit - then sanded. They all turned out great!

The second hole splattered a bit but no biggie. You can grind it right off.
ALUMALOY1.jpg

When filling a rail hole like in the video below, you do not end up sealing the hull itself. Once the rail is done, then go to the inside of the boat and fill the hull itself. Note, you do not put the flame directly on the rod. Once the area is heated, put the flame right next to the hole itself.

[youtube]tS5waUJAga4[/youtube]

How has your project on the H-51 come along? I bought an Gregor MX-510 shortly after you got your boat and have been doing some similar improvements. Mine came with a Johnson 28SPL and have been getting it running well, but still thinking of upgrading to a 4-stroke. The hull is pretty oxidized and looking for suggestions to bring back its luster and liked with you were able to do.

Jhelms said:
Stumpalump said:
What lake?

That was Canyon lake

We ran that lake on Christmas morning and had the whole lake to our selfs. It's on the list as one of the most scenic places on earth. Go to google images Canyon Lake AZ. You have a perfect boat for that tight creek that heads into the middle of that land mass. If your an explorer and like history then there is cool secrete artifacts in there. If you want an adventure then let me know and we can gear up and explore it. I'm dying to get in there but it's too far to paddle the canoe for me.

Beautiful boat! I can sympathize with getting elbow deep into a trailer rebuild and then wishing you had just bought a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaFaring said:
Beautiful boat! I can sympathize with getting elbow deep into a trailer rebuild and then wishing you had just bought a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end, it is a solid trailer and WAY overbuilt. But man oh man... Stripping the paint off to bare metal was the worst part. Still not perfect but turned out nice as it gets for an old trailer. However, I would not recommend a trailer restoration of this size to anyone. It just is not worth it.

Will post pics later of the refurb process. I also went through the motor top to bottom which I have a lot of photos of. Just to be on the safe side. Everything is as if it was brand new.

Stumpalump said:
Jhelms said:
Stumpalump said:
What lake?

That was Canyon lake

We ran that lake on Christmas morning and had the whole lake to our selfs. It's on the list as one of the most scenic places on earth. Go to google images Canyon Lake AZ. You have a perfect boat for that tight creek that heads into the middle of that land mass. If your an explorer and like history then there is cool secrete artifacts in there. If you want an adventure then let me know and we can gear up and explore it. I'm dying to get in there but it's too far to paddle the canoe for me.

You are right - absolutely stunning indeed! I have run the whole canyon as far up as we could go. There were a lot of big boats way up in the canyon too. It is quite deep and hazards well marked. If I ever get up that way without the family and kids in tow, will let you know.

Give me dibs on your boat if you want to go bigger. I need it. Ever heard of the Perletta stone and the crosses they found? How about that guy that robbed all of the stage coaches on the Apache trail. All his loot and the Dutchmans is in that area. Google earth and all the nav maps omit the areas that go way back by water and canyon. The gov wiped it off the map. I may head there tomorrow. I'm looking for a small boat and always somebody with balls to go into the unexplored un searched canyon areas that are in too deep for the treasure hunters. Canyon lake is good because you need a boat and few know where the crack in the Rock is to get in there. Nat Geo showed it but never mentioned where they were. They were interested in the cave that has a cross carved in it. I think that was fugazzi but that's the area I'm after.

Latest posts