14' Alumacraft *Some progress* might be over my head

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mertbl

Reaction score
Picked this up last monday for $400 with a trailer and an old shakespeare trolling motor. Boat is in really good shape. I found one small repair on the hull. Guy never registered it though as it was just a pond boat.

Trailer is another story. Tires are dry rotted. Bearings and hubs seem to be in good shape. It looks like the tongue was cut down at one point so the trailer is really short. Noticed last night that the hitch ball receptacle was only held on with 1 tac weld.

Plans! Fish all summer with the family "as is" after getting some new tires on trailer. As time permits or as the weather turns against me, I'd like to remove the middle bench, deck the front and rear. Plan on using aluminum framing and decking to keep weight down. Will probably stay all electric unless/until i find a good deal on an outboard. Paint the outside gloss black and the interior grey.

Question: what is inside the benches? They sound hollow and they appear to be welded shut on all sides.

Attachments

• 20170320_171458.jpg
    20170320_171458.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,657
Well went to the DMV today and got the trailer registered. I thought the dmv would give me numbers for the boat. I was wrong. I now have a packet of paper that needs filled out, inspection by a cop and sent all off to the state before i can get numbers and put it on the water.

Be careful. The weight of the decking plus raising the passengers center of gravity could make the rounded hull highly unstable. The seats are sealed air tank flotation units. Any holes in them and their flotation value is lost.

Looks like a Model F.

Well boat has been a really good storage container for the last 2 years. I'm cutting new transom wood soon and getting it emptied out. Maybe I can shoot some ducks out of it this fall.

Leak test today.

Good news, none of my transom work is leaking!

Sorta bad news, several leaking rivets. Seem like easy fix to common problems.

Concerning bad news, bow has a pretty steady drip. After flipping it it looks like previous owner hit a rock, repeatedly. I dont know if fixing the rivets will help. Might need to coat the inside or outside with something to close it up. Glovit? I think has come up on forum several times.

Attachments

• 20190613_120815.jpg
    20190613_120815.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,488
So cleaning off either silicone chaulk or 5200 revealed a large issue up front where I saw a lot of the water. It looks like the hull has been deformed and separated a bit. Is this beyond some gluv it? Should I just pour some gluv it in there and let it work? A patch or plate perhaps?

20190619_115006.jpg

Also the keel appears to be sealed along its entire length with the same white chaulk I found inside. Should I remove this and explore or leave it and see what the gluv it is able to do? 20190619_134149.jpg

Latest posts