Center Console??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fragdemon

Reaction score
So I've finally started the conversion of my 14' V boat, but currently I am just in the beginning stages of stripping the old paint off. I've been toying with the idea of going with a center console as this..
todd_helm.jpg

I've looked around the site to see if anyone has already done this to see if it would actually work, but I haven't found any threads on this.
My main concern is stability, so any and all recommendations are welcome.

thanks!

:WELCOME: If I were to ever "convert" a smaller boat (say up to & including 14') from tiller steering, I honestly think (after owning one, Stratos I believe) I'd rig it for forward controls with stick steering. The (previously mentioned) crappie boat I owned a few years ago was set-up that way & I really loved that boat.

Matter of fact it's on CL for sale right now....wished I could afford to buy it back, I would.
https://muncie.craigslist.org/boa/772944478.html

ST

SlimeTime said:
:WELCOME: If I were to ever "convert" a smaller boat (say up to & including 14') from tiller steering, I honestly think (after owning one, Stratos I believe) I'd rig it for forward controls with stick steering. The (previously mentioned) crappie boat I owned a few years ago was set-up that way & I really loved that boat.

Matter of fact it's on CL for sale right now....wished I could afford to buy it back, I would.
https://muncie.craigslist.org/boa/772944478.html

ST

Thanks for the Welcome!!! I've been searching for a site like this for quite some time. I haven't really thought of having the controls in the very front. Wonder what the pros and cons would be comparing stick steering to a small center console?

Take a look at what heavy chevy has done. I had a 14 foot vee that I almost converted to center console, but then decided to sell in favor of a different project. I was fairly certain that stability wasn't going to be an issue.

bassboy1 said:
Take a look at what heavy chevy has done. I had a 14 foot vee that I almost converted to center console, but then decided to sell in favor of a different project. I was fairly certain that stability wasn't going to be an issue.

thanks! I saw one pic of his, does he have a build-up thread?

Are we talking a center console like where you sit (some Nitros) or the flats style where you stand to drive?

Cause the former is easy and more stable. I wouldn't do a stand and drive console on a 14 though. Thats just me.

WTL said:
Are we talking a center console like where you sit (some Nitros) or the flats style where you stand to drive?

Cause the former is easy and more stable. I wouldn't do a stand and drive console on a 14 though. Thats just me.
Good point. The 14 I designed, but never built used the sit down method.

I sure wouldnt want to fight my way around a center cons on a 14'. Its a pain to get around a passanger that can slide to the side. Wouldnt stand while at plain in anything that size.

Latest posts