1966 MirroCraft 14' Deep Fisherman Redo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman5009

Reaction score
Finally starting my project. I have my Dad's old 1966 MirroCraft 14' Deep Fisherman, model F-3614. The boat is in decent shape (no leaks) and has the original paint (although it is scratched from years of use - especially on the front keel from being pulled on shore many, many times).

I'm planning to remove the bench seats, put in a flat floor, add some storage compartments and a casting deck in the bow. I've reviewed a number of the forums on this site and know there are alot of steps and alot of work, but would like to start with a new paint job (both inside and out). So I'll looking for some suggestions for prep-ing the external aluminum hull and applying paint. It sounds like there are some special requirements for painting aluminum. What's the best way to proceed - do I need to remove all the old paint, or can I paint over it? What is suggested for a primer and for the final coats?

Attached are a couple pictures of what I'm starting with.

Attachments

• IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_2251.JPG
    IMG_2251.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_2252.JPG
    IMG_2252.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 947
Zman - painting a tin boat is probably the most popular topic here.......

read through the thread archives and you will find hundreds of good tips
on how to proceed.
preparation is the key to any good painting project.
once you get it all cleaned up, degreased, power washed, all the loose and peeling
paint removed, come back with some more photos for further assistance.

A 1966 in that great shape with a wonderful patina will be ruined with paint. Just because new bass boats have a flat floor and my boat does as well, does not mean the bench seats are horrible. You get used to them and I like them way better than hacked up heavy conversion boats. In fact I prefer them. Don't get too cought up in the bling and fancy builds unless you think impressing a fish will help you catch one. Run that boat as is. You will get way more compliments and people interested in it than another cobbled up bass boat wannabe.