2000 basstracker flats/duck hunting rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtmonkey

Reaction score
Alright so I traded a rifle for this thing a few months ago. I've had it out about 4 times since I got it but like always, I can't leave anything alone. My plan is to take it all apart, replace the decking, reconfigure some weight distribution, paint, rewire, and make it as versatile as possible. I'm also going to make it a center console and mount the batteries under it to even out the weight. I honestly don't know what all I want this boat to do so I'm sure itll change through the build. The trailer has a ton of rust on the back end past the axle so that is going to be a major part of this build as well. This is going to be a rather slow build since I have a 5 month old little girl and have daddy duty everyday after work.
1284a93b0657090fdb64180f9847ed82.jpg
b00cfbc6e9073c2089d8f14c91ce68c0.jpg
3d35d2725623369bf1601ced0aa6be3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other night I got a little bit done. Got the front deck torn out, got the majority of the carpet and other rear deck pieces and hatch lids. Hopefully tonight I can get the rest of the decking out so I can start stripping the carpet glue

daa248b3dd95814d94a933862adaac03.jpg
c26cb0f2d3a0852d65aea805ee002486.jpg
a582e7e6f5e34c3aac2018bf03704431.jpg

I got some time tonight so I got into disassembling the console and all of the wiring. It almost seems like tracker believed that butt connectors made boats float lol it was a mess under there.
9c7f667d20c2d2ec81c45b5b39700fd1.jpg

Anyways, I pulled the throttle cables off the motor and shifter and got the side finish panel pulled off so I can start pulling and tracing wire. Does anyone know of a way to reuse the side console shifter onto a center console? I'm not going to do anything stupid but I want to be able to either keep it or at least use it as a mock up when I build the new console. I've seen some people mount the gear side of it on the inside of the console and all that hangs out the side is the throttle handle if that makes any sense.

I also am having issues separating the steering cable from the helm. Any ideas? It's rotten in between the steering wheel and the steering box and I can't get the two separated. I guess I can cut it out lol

cefee70413a8548886b33323f44e7113.jpg

I thought about doing that on my last boat but I just sucked it up and sorted it out. Most of it is just engine wiring so I'll either organize it or maybe lay it out and build my own harness for it

Got some work done today. Got the livewell, gas tank, foam and got the trolling motor off. It's pretty much ready for a good cleaning and start the prep for rebuild

It was a major pain to get the foam out from under the cross members. I don't know how the floor has lasted 17 years because absolutely no water could flow through the boat.

I've been throwing ideas back and forth about how I want to run the wiring, fuel lines, throttle and steering cables up the middle to the new center console. Any suggestions??

ae8d55104ad480f21fcc288711202277.jpg

bf4caea4bbb08ac804a7532620568984.jpg
76b603e23286dad13540df7909b5ed77.jpg
43f4a2229a9be9f14f3ffd6599a4ce99.jpg

Wow, what a mess. Was that wiring factory or had the previous owner been messing with it. It looked like there had, at some point, been an effort to organize it.

I have a 2012 tracker Grizzly, and I am 100% positiveness that the guy that put Dirtmonkeys wiring harness together still works at Tracker based on the harness that was in my boat.

I am willing to bet that there is not a single employee at Tracker that has a business card that says "Electrical Engineer".

Rob

SeaFaring said:
Wow, what a mess. Was that wiring factory or had the previous owner been messing with it. It looked like there had, at some point, been an effort to organize

Well most of it was factory but the guy I bought it from said he "rewired" it [emoji849] but I've pretty much sorted it out. Im trying to weed it down to using just the engine harness then actually re doing everything else myself. I'm really OCD about wiring and keeping it clean and simple.

Well I got some more done the other night. I broke out the sander and realized that the aluminum was pretty corroded on the transom under the motor bracket, under the tie down U-bolts, and around the drain plug. I originally was going to leave the back foam areas alone and beck back on top of them but I've been left with no option. I went ahead and tore the sheeting and aluminum out so I can access those areas. Guess I might as well cut the splash well out and replace the transom while I'm in there. The foam was pretty nasty on the bottom so I'm glad I went ahead and did it. So far I've probly torn 300lbs of saturated foam out of this thing haha

81cd552ff2f6e23b68ee494b2b30ae9d.jpg
cd19d28676b0019b01f0561f087375ba.jpg

Nice start! While you are there, take a close look at the ribs in the boat. They are know for cracking. I have a Tracker project boat myself.

KRS

I'll check them tomorrow. Even after ripping all the foam out in the ribs I haven't seen anything but thanks for bringing it to my attention

Dirtmonkey said:
SeaFaring said:
Wow, what a mess. Was that wiring factory or had the previous owner been messing with it. It looked like there had, at some point, been an effort to organize

Well most of it was factory but the guy I bought it from said he "rewired" it [emoji849] but I've pretty much sorted it out. Im trying to weed it down to using just the engine harness then actually re doing everything else myself. I'm really OCD about wiring and keeping it clean and simple.

It's amazing to me that anyone, especially a factory, tolerates substandard wiring in an aluminum boat. OK, 12v probably won't start a fire, but it will dissolve the boat.

Sheesh.

The fresh start approach seems wise.

SeaFaring said:
Dirtmonkey said:
SeaFaring said:

It's amazing to me that anyone, especially a factory, tolerates substandard wiring in an aluminum boat. OK, 12v probably won't start a fire, but it will dissolve the boat.

Sheesh.

The fresh start approach seems wise.

That's pretty much where I'm at with this entire boat. These things are extremely substandard is more ways than not. The hull construction isn't too bad but everything else is

Wow you've really gotten a lot done in only 4-weeks time - keep up the good work!

I started to disassemble the rear deck when I was tearing out foam, but I opted out after I drilled out the deck rivets on side and could not get the deck panel to separate from the foam for the life of me. When I realized how big the foam block was back there, I figured there was plenty of dry foam that was still useful, so I left it.

If you're thinking about reusing the same controls, you might be able to incorporate them into the arm rest of the seat - assuming you plan on building some sort of bench or leaning post. If you're planning on using the rear deck as a seat, you may just be able to reuse the control box panel if you add something to close off the back side of that panel. Might be easier to just build a wood box and wrap it with whatever you're using on the rest of the boat. I'm imagining something like the pic below, with the red rectangle being a slim arm rest type box that you mount it to. You could probably route the cables down below the deck pretty easily and have them come up in the splashwell. For routing wiring from the console, I would think you'll have to run that harness under the deck if you want to keep everything clean. My father in law built an alweld CC and just has his wiring wrapped in tube rigging and laid on on the deck. It doesn't look as clean or finished and it creates a tripping hazard. Not to mention the damage you can cause repeatedly stepping on wiring over the years. You may be able to drill out a few holes in the stringers under the decking, but above the bottom of the hull so it stays above the water as much as possible.

28tvmlv.jpg

With the wiring, I'm also in the same boat (literally and figuratively).

m7bdcy.jpg

It appears we both have some "personal edits" made by prior owners. Electrical is my biggest weakness, so I had to create a diagram of the entire circuit from battery to fuse block, switches, and accessories. I still havent figured out what a few things go to, but I definitely have what I need now.

I've thought about doing the box idea. I used to have a old 73 mako CC and some jack nut before me decided to put a side console control on it and mounted it with some flimsy aluminum. That ended up breaking while i was out on the water so I ended up building a wooden mount/ storage area to mount it to. I'm either going to put a bennicle on it or mount the one I have to the left side of the console if I can't flip it.

As for wiring, I was pretty timid about it a couple years ago too. My problem was I over complicated it in my mind. 12v is super simple and once you grasp the concept, there's nothing to it. Maybe this might help:
dea2ebed3c4ffeb34654297c44a0a8d0.jpg

Last year I built a pilot house on my 22' angler and me wanting to make things cool, I decided to wire all of my electronics over head. That opened up a major can of worms trying to build channels in the walls to run all of that wire up top haha

2c143eb800d95f257dfd5063d881806d.jpg

3bb3c1d61b224fcafacf9da6c7183251.jpg

1cc201946319d1a9195814e822d576fd.jpg

So a good friend of mine gave me a trailer because mine was complete rotten. The new trailer is super heavy duty and I guess it was set up for like a 18' center console boat or something. Needless to say it was too big for my boat so I cut it up and welded it all back together. I ended up cutting a foot out of the middle and it sits perfect on it now. Just have to get the tongue mocked up and welded back on once the weather clears up
6b4bba00d59c8a01040ea44c857f3591.jpg

516087c9dc30ed8c715da330fefbe016.jpg

3928d5359b6867fdcbbe8f857c26d73f.jpg

cdc139862a996ec03bb528e124c3d7b9.jpg

bef721f67bebbd79d0c43db9d3b5809d.jpg

Well I got the tongue welded back on last weekend. Everything is completely level and square. Pulls and tracks perfect plus the boat fits perfect now. I took the old bow stop and winch off the old trailer and welded it to this one. I couldn't ask for any better results. Time to get that old jack off, new bunks, sand and paint.
620beb6308a05ab6b807450f58bdadfb.jpg

097ccda07201ad7179fc0d977f9dc2c9.jpg

1d61fce24ac64855ebd9572beb995a98.jpg

So I finally got about 2 hrs to get some work done. I got the boat flipped over and found a ton of corrosion, holes and sloppy repairs. This boat must have spent its entire life in salt water and never got sprayed down. In between the keels where the trailer bunks sat is really bad. There was also a spot where someone hit something and found a mug welder.... I've never seen so much weld build up in my life. Time to start sorting all of this out so it can be prepped for paint

4c2ac6bb7d1ba91a4cedc34eae314ada.jpg

790c434f6afa2f0347ce6f55843831b0.jpg
17bd13542f3657278746bb654ea8e188.jpg
1e41b646063d3ab1eb2616c764608cad.jpg

After fixing all of the corrosion on the bottom and transom I got the boat flipped back over and stuck in the garage where it's going to live for a while. Got some materials ready and the actual build is about to start.

722b0bbdf5d15a5e64df3f6c5c7c43bd.jpg

Latest posts