Aluminum Bending Weldbilt 1548

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elrodphil

Reaction score
I ordered my floor materials today...I am going to get some thinner aluminum to create a peace that will follow around the ribs so things won't fall under the floor. What is the easiest way to bend thin aluminum and make it look good. Also, what kind of foam would you get for under the floor? I want something that will not get waterlogged...

Using a brake. Most small welding shops will have a brake, or sheet metal hvac guys. It's worth the time to make it look right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A break will do it, or making the bend on a table, aligning the 'line' a tad off the table to allow for the bend radius.

You should anneal it, if 5052 alloy the anneal temp is 650-degrees. You can use a Temp-Stik or some say put Sharpie Marker around the line and when the marker burns away, you hit the 650. The melt temp is 1100, so you have some range here. I'd recommend MAPP gas waved to heat uniformly and fast.

If no brake, I'd make a wood frame to pull down on the piece to be bent in one shot. Go past, or further bent, than where you need to go, by a good inch I'd say, due to springback and memory. It would be easier to relax the bend, then deepen it (to me). Definitely re-anneal, as 5052 work hardens.

PM if you need more assistance ...

I do siding and I have a brake that will handle that material gauge. So don't count out siding contractors or metal roofing contractors/supplier. We all have abilities and for a few cold ones would bend it for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys...I got my sheet of aluminum today...going to make a cardboard template and mark it before I start cutting. What kind of foam should I put under the floor? I don't want stuff that will get waterlogged...

I think I'm going to build the floor in 2 pieces...I'll try to post pictures soon...

elrodphil said:
Thanks guys...I got my sheet of aluminum today...going to make a cardboard template and mark it before I start cutting. What kind of foam should I put under the floor? I don't want stuff that will get waterlogged...
The pink or blue foam sheets at your local Menards, Home depot and Lowes is what your looking for.

I don't have a brake, but when I want to bend sheet metal, I use two pieces of mild steel flat bar and clamp the sheet between them with either small c clamps or vice grips and then bend by hand or with another similar setup. You can make small adjustments with a small rubber mallet.

I've had great success with this making ammo can stoves, license plate brackets, etc.

It probably works best on small parts though.

Thanks! I am going to have to make some pieces that go from my gun boxes to the top of the ribs to keep fish from falling behind the gun boxes...there is an open space between where the boxes are mounted on the ribs and the hull...once I put the floor in I won't be able to get the fish out...It could get really stinky...really fast....ha ha...

We recently did an Allweld ans after cutting the aluminum as close as possible which was pretty darn close we used urethane caulk to finish around all the cracks. Once you painted the floor you couldn't hardly tell what was floor and what was caulk.

elrodphil said:
Wow! Where did you get the caulk? Can you send me a link?
I'll look and get the name. Bought it at Lowes. It is actually used for chimney flashing. It is some tough, flexible stuff once set up.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Pl-10-oz-Black-Paintable-Caulk/3562722

I really need some help cutting the aluminum to fit around the ribs going up the sides of my boat. Do you guys make some kind of template to fit? I am trying cardboard but man it is tough to make them fit the right way without leaving gaps...

Any clues???

There are several videos on making templates. Basically take a straight piece to start then lay strips across it at 90 degrees to butt up to your template surface and staple or glue them on. Basically making a template out of a bunch of pieces. Then you can trace out the profile.

Thank you! I am going to really get at it this weekend. I'm going to video the process...maybe I can post some pictures...

Latest posts