It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 20:27
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SwampRunner

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 15:44 

18 inch short shaft??? I thought all motors were either a 15 inch short or a 20 inch long. Of course, each manufacturer has his own way of reaching those sizes.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:22 

I always liked the look of the stepped transoms, they just seem more boaty looking.

On mine I have to raise the transom 2" to work with the motor I have and Im looking for the proper width channel to cap the transom with. Im thinking of contacting Mirrocraft to see if they sell a replacement piece to use.

Maybe look into going that route through your mfg?

In any case go with doubled up plywood rather than the board that was in there, much stronger.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:30 

richg99 wrote:
18 inch short shaft??? I thought all motors were either a 15 inch short or a 20 inch long. Of course, each manufacturer has his own way of reaching those sizes.

I thought this too but my 20" motor is actually 22".

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:31 

Welp as I found with my merc 9.9 it measures at 18", doing some research I found 18" is actually a fairly common length. So I want to leave myself options if I repower in the future or want to use my 9.9 on hp restricted lakes. If I'm locked into 20", I will have much less to choose from.

For the cap, I guess I'm not sure what it's function would be. I guess in my head it's there to keep wear and tear off the transom would and to add a nice metal trim. Would using thin sheet aluminum be okay? Something like flashing aluminum, easy to cut and break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:47 

I would think that the cap is there to prevent water from working its way down inside of the transom.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 17:14 

Yes and that, totally thought I wrote that, but yeah, water off the transom as well. My main question is aluminum flashing an ok choice to make the cap ?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 20:09 

I would think something of a heavier gauge would be better.

Looking around I found this. Good price for the material, but the shipping....... :shock:

https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2532-83 ... ruded.aspx

EDIT: Found what I needed for $35 shipped here.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=60

I got 1 3/4" by 1" by 60" the 1" leg will let me tie the channel to my transom corner caps.

Last edited by RaisedByWolves on 14 Oct 2017, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 20:27 

Oof no joke, that is some hefty shipping pricing, I might check with some of the metal shops nearby and see if I can find a local source. The flashing just seemed easy to source and easy to work with.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 20:46 

Check my edit.

Simple and I dont have to spend time and gas to go fetch it.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 20:49 

Oh nice! Thanks for the find :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 22:00 

Haven’t had a ton of time to work on it much lately, between the torrential downpours and 3 kids, those “project” minutes are few and far between. So today I got the old boat back to selling condition... aka, swapped my helix 5 out for my old 398ci si, removed the garmin up front, keeping all my batteries, and swapped out the bow terrova for the Motorguide that was chillin in my shed. Removed downrigger mounts. Now she’s all set for pickup on Monday. It’ll be a bittersweet goodbye....

Anyway so after an insane amount of rain and no cover, and a plugged up plug, the mirrocraft filled with a few hundred gallons of water. Sweet, easy leak check as it’s now been sunny for a few days. Previous owner said it weeped a bit. Checked the entire bottom and only found a very small leak right on the bow, like maybe it was beached too hard, one too many times. I plan on covering the seams with coat it, before the full repaint, that’ll probably happen in the spring when the weather warms back up. Until then, I will probably just use a bit of marine goop for a temporary solution.

Overall pretty happy to only have the one wet spot.

Hoping to get some work done on the transom next week to make her fishable again.

ImageImageImageImage

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2