1436LT Alumacraft modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetech

Reaction score
I have started researching what it will take to convert my 79 Evinrude 6hp to remote controls. I am also wanting to remove the center seat and do some floor modifications. I also plan on adding pedestal seats while maintaining the three person capacity. I am not sure how I will get this done but I know it will have to be lightweight materials. I have all the tooling I need for aluminum and woodwork but right now my biggest concern is converting the Evinrude to remote. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Can't help you with the motor, remote components on older motors can be hard to track down. You may have to make something custom, but I did the same boat up and have had great luck with her so far.

onthewater102 said:
Can't help you with the motor, remote components on older motors can be hard to track down. You may have to make something custom, but I did the same boat up and have had great luck with her so far.

I have been reading the post on your boat. I like your ideas. Nice looking boat.

I haven't started working out the layout yet but when I do if you don't mind I may have a few questions for you.

I figure I may have to design the remote system and have been trying to find pictures of what the original conversion kit looked like so I have a starting point.

I was lucky enough to find parts on Ebay - I took my S/N and went on boats.net to view the parts diagrams for the different control setups & tracked everything down. Some of the parts are still available, others needed to be sourced 2nd hand.

I kept my motor pull start - too much expense switching over to electric start & would have added unnecessary weight to the boat. I've got a set of 14' universal throttle & shift cables lying around that no one on here seemed to be interested in - if you want them they're yours, you just need to custom make terminations for them. The cable ends are threaded to be universal, you should be able to find the connectors for your motor here: https://www.marineengine.com/products/accessories.php?g=482

I spent some time looking at the different configurations. It looks like the original steering kit was a pulley system. I am now looking at universal rack steering kit.

I am going to keep the pull start also. Did you relocate your kill switch to the console? I was planning on wiring it in parallel so there is one on the motor and one on the console.

I am interested in the cables. What length of cable did you use? My configuration will be close to yours, I haven't measured yet to see how much of 14' would be coiled up. How much you want for them.

They're 14' cables, so you'll need to make a loop with them. I ended up buying 7' for my boat only to then buy a 16' tracker and find a box in the back full of parts from various boats motors, the cables being among them. You're welcome to them, just pay the shipping from 06757 and send me a USPS label for them to [email protected] and I'll get them out to you.

Latest posts