1989 Bass Tracker TX17

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalninm

Reaction score
So there seems to be plenty of trackers on here for me to learn from. Picked this one up this past summer but haven’t had a ton of time to work on it yet. Got a little done on the deconstruction but that’s about it, although most of the trailer has now been redone, just haven’t gotten around to the boat itself. Honestly the bigger thing I’ve been contemplating is how to put a rod box in that will keep my rods safe and accommodate the longer ones. Anyone have any thoughts? hate the tubes they have in it now

Attachments

• 86CA2421-E7D9-45B9-A192-866EF25C6F9B.jpeg
    86CA2421-E7D9-45B9-A192-866EF25C6F9B.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 8,279
  • 0D3FAF86-DD84-4681-8E41-69659C059E90.jpeg
    0D3FAF86-DD84-4681-8E41-69659C059E90.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 8,278
  • E9B673AC-6C84-4AA7-B5C0-2276E4EE58D8.jpeg
    E9B673AC-6C84-4AA7-B5C0-2276E4EE58D8.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 8,278
  • BF754546-FE89-43B6-B11D-366095DBA8E4.jpeg
    BF754546-FE89-43B6-B11D-366095DBA8E4.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 8,279
Alright I figured it out, from now on the pics should be in the right order and oriented the right way ....... ooops

Alright so after a lot of research and debating on different ideas I've settled on a design for the front of the boat, so, it was time to start demo. I took a little time and started popping rivets and tearing out carpet. I already had the front deck off but it was time to dive in a little further. So at the end of the day I pulled out all the pvc rod tubes, the first bit of aluminum that i'll need to reconfigure, and started on the foam. I pretty much expected the bottom of the foam to be water logged but I was hoping it wouldn't be........but it was, so now I'll be spending some time over the next couple weeks tearing out all the foam in the front of the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 7,900
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 7,901
  • IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 7,900
Well one more step down, pulled all the foam out of the front last night, it actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I was able to get 80% of it up with just my hands in 6 or 7 big chunks. However I'm still trying to clean out the channels in the hull for the water to drain to the back like it is suppose to do. And moving onto the foam in the back most likely, I know its water logged but I really don't want to rip up the back deck :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_3250.JPG
    IMG_3250.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 7,851
Good work so far.
As for the back deck, think of it this way. Next year while your fishing out of your partially remodeled boat, will you be wishing you had done the back, or will be be glad you didn't?
The follow up question,
Will you ever remodel another boat? Or was this one too much (insert word here) and you don't want to go through that again?

The compartments and carpet are just fine in the back but next year i'll replace the carpet to match whatever I do the front in. After seeing how bad the front foam was I know I have to do the back, it's just a matter of removing as little as possible to do so. Also, this is my second rebuild but by far the most in depth, and I definitely see myself building more in the future.

Alright so question for anyone watching this thread....
When I bought the boat one of the previous owners had done the hull in bedliner, doesn't look great but isn't horrible. Trying to keep the build relatively low cost and put $ into areas like the decking layout and electronics. Should I try and remove the bedliner or just roll with it. I don't like it but idk the best way to remove it, plus idk what I'll find under it and that is slightly worrying......out of sight out of mind right? lol
Thoughts?

One more thing I wanted to get some feedback on is carpeting the aluminum pieces. Carpeting the plywood is a breeze but I'll be reusing some of the pieces of aluminum that were previously carpeted. They have a lot of residue left on them. Do I need to take it down to bare aluminum before I can re-carpet them or can I just take down the major areas of residue? Lastly, to take the residue and bits of carpet off, instead of stripper can I use just a flap disk on a grinder? Looking to start cleaning these pieces up next week.

Thanks

just about anything abrasive will strip them. Some require more elbow grease than others.

If the glue is solid, you "could" glue to it, however your carpet will show every detail (wrinkle, line, etc.) that is under the carpet. Best to strip it down.

You can try using a flap disc, but you find it quickly loads up, get a couple of them. I ended up using a cupped wire brush on my angle grinder for most of the heavy glue on my build. Get a good full face shield and a set of heavy gloves. It's not an easy job, but worth it in the end.

Good luck!

Alright wire cup it is! While I wait for some responses to my next question guess i'll be doing some grinding off the glue. So here is where im at. Tore off the carpet on the back deck, tore out some compartments and lids to get to the foam which after seeing the front foam is no surprise its saturated. Now, I'm getting some of the foam out but I can only access some of it with what I've torn out. From looking at other builds on this same boat it doesn't look like anyone has taken it apart any more than I have so I have no clue how to get to the rest of the foam to remove it. Pics are below, anyone with experience with this boat I'd love to hear how to get to the rest of the foam!!! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7,602
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 7,602
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 7,602
Quick update, tried a wire cup and it did well at evening up a lot of the surface but not necessarily taking the glue off the whole way, the flap disk on the other hand did great but took a while. Going forward i'll probably use the flap disk on the rough areas and then even it all up with the wire cup to save time.... still bamboozled by the back deck and getting to the rest of the foam though......lots of looking at it and scratching my head lol

I've been informed I have a lot more disassembly to do.......
Guess I have some more rivets to drill out

kalninm said:
I've been informed I have a lot more disassembly to do.......
Guess I have some more rivets to drill out

Doens't take long to drill them out. Just drill out the ones in the hull. lol

Using stripper is so much easier than anything else. Look at my build and I took a picture of the adhesive remover I used, made the job so easy.

This stuff is great. Wipe it on, wait 15min and the glue residue will scrape right off with ease.

Attachments

• 1DAF6CCF-F346-4A0F-B416-6DA42AA4E3AD.png
    1DAF6CCF-F346-4A0F-B416-6DA42AA4E3AD.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 3,598
I was thinking about the stripper but I wanted to see how a wire cup or flap disk worked since I had them on hand. Also from the looks of it yours was a lot worse. I just had a few spots here and there with a lot of residue left, most was just a thin film left on it. However if I get to an area being a pain I won't hesitate to go pick up some of that stripper. Thanks

Lots of rivets to drill. To get the side panels off the rear deck i requires taking out the rivets threw the side of the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m surprised you go the pedestal center section out with out pulling a side piece. I couldn’t get mine out. I was originally just trying to get the floor pan out of the gas tank area so I could get that foam. Ended up taking a deep cut to the top of my hand from trying to yank it out. I’m learning that everything that should take 5 minutes on this boat quickly turns in to an hour and I work on boats for a living. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts