One man’s junk...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldorthemagnificent

Reaction score
7cedf2c7ee386ccfb8d52818e280aa94.jpg

f8246d24368849f761abd831b0176c58.jpg

Is another man’s kickass new ride. Well, actually there’s not much that’s kickass about this old boat other than the price was right. The intended purpose for this old sea king is to ride upside down on top of my trailered 16’ Naden on the annual boys fishing trip. It will allow all of my sons to come which makes me happy.
First it will get a little attention to make sure it’s safe and some prettying up as well. But first I have a snowmobile to reassemble!

No tag or hin on this gem. If anyone knows capacities on these, please chime in. Measured 11.5 ft by 52”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking pond boat. IMHO it needs oarlocks. Teaching a kid to pull a boat around a pond or small lake is a great. Funny how many bass my father and I caught trolling, and now I rarely troll for bass. Thanks for the little trip down memory lane.

It does have oarlocks. There was a set of oars in it when I first looked at it, but when I went to pick it up they were gone. Wasn’t
Part of the deal I guess.

2e2500294d68dc84a57088d5a89886e0.jpg

Snow is melting so it’s time to get to work on the junk. The goal is to replace the seat boards, remove whatever goop has been applied inside the hull, check for leaks and seal up, replace transom wood and make transom corner caps, paint the outside.

602f571efed9e752b1f01c62c4994eb3.jpg

Pretty much no strength in this transom. I plan on beefing things up a bit here. Plan on running anywhere from a 2hp to a 6hp so it shouldn’t take much to fix it up.

I'm interested to see this build. I'm assuming you are a welder? Hince the name...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am a welder. It’s a nickname not a narcissistic self glorification. Lol. You probably won’t see any welding on this project. I don’t weld at home except for a little stick welding. Partly too cheap to buy a tig welder and partly afraid I’d wind up working all the time. I have seen some of your threads Prowelder, good work!

8b7c9ca80d9a44bad867d614f774b3f9.jpg

Someone in the past thought it would be a good idea to lay what looks like screen on the bottom and pour on some kind of tar goop. I would have been ok with leaving it but it was starting to peel up. So out comes the stripper and off with the goop. I will then have to deal with whatever reason it was gooped up to begin with.

Half the fun of these old boats is the history. Sea King boats were re-branded boats sold by Montgomery Ward. Made by several manufacturers most notably Starcraft. At 11’4” mine doesn’t match any record I can find. Last registration was in Iowa judging by the prefix and sticker. There is also a faint number 3 on the side near the stern. I’m guessing a rental boat. Oh the stories she could tell! From Iowa to Ontario and who knows where else.
db6e2241e722b9d517376750e6e68c00.jpg
80edda8661ac2eacd5ee81078d9df9af.jpg

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Half the fun of these old boats is the history. Sea King boats were re-branded boats sold by Montgomery Ward. Made by several manufacturers most notably Starcraft. At 11’4” mine doesn’t match any record I can find. Last registration was in Iowa judging by the prefix and sticker. There is also a faint number 3 on the side near the stern. I’m guessing a rental boat. Oh the stories she could tell! From Iowa to Ontario and who knows where else.
db6e2241e722b9d517376750e6e68c00.jpg
80edda8661ac2eacd5ee81078d9df9af.jpg

My 1st built was a 1952 aluma-craft it looks very similar to this boat. I fix it up real nice and traded it for a 1998 20' striper sea swirl with the 130 on it. The guy I traded it to just recently sold it for $3500. I wouldn't be surprised if your boat is similar in age

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3abeb6c76f2c66c3e2bc520334cbb14c.jpg

Zip cut all the rusty bolts holding the flotation boxes under the seats. The foam looks good so I’ll keep it. I stripped some more goop from the inside this morning and was hoping to give it a liberal coating and pressure wash. However it’s not going to go above freezing for a couple days so that plan is out.

f1ba3f5111a49308d65570217ab1c1f5.jpg

Went to Home Depot today and bought a transom board. If you get one with a split and a bunch of staples, they will discount it. Lol. Had to buy 8’ board for 40” of wood but at 50% off it cost $6.22.
Brushed on some exterior stain from a tool shed project. Shed is 6 yrs old and still looks good so I figured it will be good enough.

e3a44981692e293d4fb03784bac342e0.jpg

Bent up some corner caps to rivet on. I’ve been wanting to leak test since I stripped up all the flex seal but it has been below freezing for a couple weeks. So today I poured a few buckets of water in. It didn’t seem to leak at first but then started dripping out the keel both bow and stern where it has been worn through. I’ll either weld it up or smear some goop on it. This is going to be a blood and guts fishing boat not a show queen. Lol.

Hey, i got this old 1973 tinner from my neighbor, fixed it up a bit and sold it right away to get my next project......smallish but a sweet little boat!

Attachments

• DSC00558.JPG
    DSC00558.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 4,965
  • DSC00557.JPG
    DSC00557.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 4,965
NightKrawler said:
Hey, i got this old 1973 tinner from my neighbor, fixed it up a bit and sold it right away to get my next project......smallish but a sweet little boat!
Wow yours turned out great! I’m betting it looked better than mine to start with. What did you use for the seats? They came out looking good.

I used Epiphanes Varnish, a marine grade I had left from past project on my old Chriscraft. The boat actually sat in my neighbors yard upside down for at least 15 years or so....finally i ask if he wanted to sell it, and he said, I could just have it! Heck of a deal. I did re-do the transom board inside and out as well, it had some old oars so I bought a set of shorty's and threw on the 6hp Yamaha.......the guy that bought it wanted it for a private small lake and so i kept the trailer and the Yamaha and sold it to him for $350.00.......he went home happy!

I went with the red neck fix on the bottom runner. Cleaned it with a wire wheel and used JB weld. I drilled out 4 rivets and replaced which pulled the gap shut. I then smeared JB on both sides of the rivets.
ed2e0e4dac3693383576a13f06e8cc20.jpg
216696b140c2dddc9e4df5d49a65ca9b.jpg

My daughter helped me paint the inside with Tremclad/Rustoleum aluminum which I think looks a lot better.

Only as small diversion, but the title of this thread is so true. This boat is exactly the same one (vintage, model, etc.) as my first boat in the 70's. I was 16 years old and bought it from someone in my bass fishing club. I thought it was the most beautiful boat in the world. Started out with a 1957 Evinrude 18, then later upgraded to a 25hp Johnson. If it had been rated (it was too early for that) it probably only would have been rated for about a 9.9, mebbe less. Anyway it would go like a bat out of H**L - scary fast only I was to young and dumb to be scared. At one point I had my name painted in large script on the side of it like the bass fishing pros of the day, but ran out of money to have it painted on the other side of the boat. Caught a lot out of it from North Carolina to Northern New England, and even sunk it once under the Chesapeake Bay bridge jigging for rockfish when it took a big wave over the stern.

Anyway, the old saying one mans trash is another mans treasure still holds..... :)

Latest posts