Ethanw08's 1542 Jon to Crappie Cracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethanw08

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am going to be receiving a new project in a week or two and was wanting to get your preference on it. Would you rather me do the complete build and then just lay all the pics and write up on you at once, or would you rather me structure it like a blog post where I update you as the progression is made? What would yall prefer happen? I have some really neat stuff that I am going to put in this boat that I don't think has ever been on this page so it should be interesting and of course, there are a lot of things I will be incorporating that I did see on this page.

Thanks in advance, I will be posting pictures of what it looks like when I get it here in the next few days.

Ethan

Ethanw08 said:
Hey everyone, I am going to be receiving a new project in a week or two and was wanting to get your preference on it. Would you rather me do the complete build and then just lay all the pics and write up on you at once, or would you rather me structure it like a blog post where I update you as the progression is made? What would yall prefer happen? I have some really neat stuff that I am going to put in this boat that I don't think has ever been on this page so it should be interesting and of course, there are a lot of things I will be incorporating that I did see on this page.

Thanks in advance, I will be posting pictures of what it looks like when I get it here in the next few days.

Ethan

Congrats and welcome aboard, Ethan!
Update as you progress with lots of pictures!

jasper :D

Sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing your opinion! This first "blog" post might be a bit long winded, but I wanted to do something different than most I have seen and include an itinerary/cost sheet that you guys can refer back to and follow along with me as the build progresses so that you can see how much it is costing me and what else is left to do. I thought it might be a fun little thing to add. But first is a quick informal introduction and story of the boat and myself.

First my name is Ethan, and I plan to pick up the boat next week. I am not sure what brand it is, I just know it is a 15x42 that doesn't have any major leaks with a basically brand new electric start 25hp Merc that has only 20-30 hours on it. The amount he wants seems kind of expensive for the boat, but the motor alone costs about 4k. So in my thinking, I am basically buying the motor for half price, and getting a boat and trailer as a bonus. See, I was with my cousin when he bought the motor, and I know for a fact that he paid like 3k for it and when he jokingly offered the boat, motor, and trailer to me at $2,500 during deer camp saying "I'd sell it to you for $2,500 cause you're family" Well, I kind of laughed it off and said "for that price I may think about it man" I didn't think he was serious, and I certainly was not looking for a boat so there wasn't much said about it at that time. It wasn't' long before we changed the discussion to the deer we had seen that day and then whatever else guys talk about at deer camp. About a week later at thanksgiving dinner I asked him if he was for real on the boat offer and he said he was joking at camp but after thinking about it, he hasn't used the boat but twice (just two test drives basically) after I went with him to buy the 25hp Merc and would sell it to me if I was going to get more use from it, so I decided to buy it from him and the rest is history.

As for me, I am an avid outdoorsman that works as an accountant to support by hobbies. I am not the normal accountant, so I am told by my colleges in the sense that I enjoy getting my hands dirty. To them, this means that I don't take my vehicles to the mechanics for maintenance or repairs, and also because I hunt, fish, and love the outdoors more than the next guy here in the office to say the least. I have to admit, it does suck sometimes working in the office with people that would rather read books or talk about the ball game they saw last night than about that monster fish they caught or even better, the boat they sunk last weekend! But it is what it is, I like them, but its fair to say our common interest don't relate much in the office.

Now that I have deeply depressed you with boring accountant stuff, you must know that I love to live in the details and analyze data or I would hate my job. I absolutely love to live in the details. SO, without futher a-due, I have gathered the "details" to share with you and listed them below. Everything with a star (*) at the end is an item that I have made an educated guess at the cost, and everything without a star (*) is something that I have added to my online shopping cart or have actually purchased. The reason for this is that I want you to know the known costs vs. the costs that may change in the future. Furthermore, the ($0) items are items that I have laying around the house and will most likely use. This list is subject to change, and is not concrete by any means but I will update it as those things change and let you guys know so that you can still follow along. I will also probably make a Project Completion Time Schedule so that you guys can keep me accountable for when I slack off. But that will be at a later date. So seriously this time, here is the list.

Boat
Jon Boat - $2,500

Livewell Setup - $52
Trolling Setup - $329
Console & Storage Setup - $470
Boat Layout Cost - $1,072

Total Cost - 4,469 w/boat cost or 1,969 for just mods

Items For Each Setup

Livewell
Cooler - $0
Bilge Pump - $17
Hose - $20
Catch Bucket - $15

Trolling Setup
Motor - $0
Battery - $174
Voltage Meter and Power Switch - $19
Minnkota Battery Box - $55
ProMariner On Board Charger - $81

Console & Storage
Garmin Striker 7 SV - 369 (caught a sweet deal on this side imaging sonar)
6 Gang Power Panel - 41
Building Materials - $60*

Boat Layout
LED's - $20
Seats - $167
Casting Seat - $94
Anchor Lock - $72
Casting Deck - $210
Bilge Pump - $17
External Fuel Fill - $41
Stabilizer Pod Welding - $60*
Removable Outrigger - $120*
DIY Power Pole - $25*
Closed Cell Foam - $15*
Boat Carpet - $160
Electrical Hardware - $70*

Attachments

• JB1.jpg
    JB1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 7,105
  • JB2.jpg
    JB2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 7,105
Hanr3 said:
Good luck staying on budget. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to watching the progress.

Haha! Oh no! This listing wasn't my budget, it was just everything I could think of (big ticket items) I didnt even start to consider thr small stuff. The list wasn't meant to serve as a budget, but rather judt to give you guys an idea of where i was heading with the build. A budget wpuld be just too hard to do since I simply don't know everything that is going to be involved. I would agree though - if I had a budget I would need to take that amount and double it! Lol

RedHatRedNeck said:
Sounds like she’ll of a deal. Where are you located at?

Thanks! I'm from oklahoma. I don't plan on taking this to the big water lakes. If you guys want to google map them the lakes are Arbuckle lake, Thunderbird Lake, El Reno Lake, Fort Cobb Lake, and smaller lakes around the central part of the state.

RedHatRedNeck said:

Thanks! I'm from oklahoma. I don't plan on taking this to the big water lakes. If you guys want to google map them the lakes are Arbuckle lake, Thunderbird Lake, El Reno Lake, Fort Cobb Lake, and smaller lakes around the central part of the state.

I lived on the Moore/OKC line for a little more than 3 Years. Know all the lakes you’re talking about. Also places on Kaw lake and the river north of the lak that boat would do good in. And places you can use lake to get to good public deer ground. What part of OK?

Ethanw08 said:
RedHatRedNeck said:

I've fished all those lakes except El Reno, but it's on my list. I live about 5 minutes south of thunderbird. Nice boat you got there & welcome aboard.

Hey everyone,

It has been awhile since I have been able to post. Went on vacation last weekend to Vegas and had a severe cold kick in as I was getting of the plane which has kept me down for half of the week. I had enough energy to go pick up the boat last night and take some pictures this afternoon. Long story short, whoever had this boat before my cousin didn't take great care of it and probably hit every stump they saw.

While the boat apparently doesn't leak. I am going to have to do a leak test from some of the rivets I have seen. Also, there looks to be a few major dents in the boat where they have hit stuff. I doubt it leaks but it would be nice to make the boat look clean. If the dents are too bad, I might save the money for the huge plans I had to buy a better platform to work off of. I will know more in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 6,898
  • wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 6,898
  • bench seat holes (2).JPG
    bench seat holes (2).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 6,898
  • bench seat holes (3).JPG
    bench seat holes (3).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 6,898
  • CP.JPG
    CP.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 6,898
  • overall rear 2.JPG
    overall rear 2.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 6,898
  • rear hole.JPG
    rear hole.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 6,898
  • rivet.JPG
    rivet.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 6,898
I kind of fell off posting about the boat since there wasn't much interest after my last post.

However, I got it in the garage last weekend where the real work began. Here is a list of accomplishments made in the past week. If you guys want pictures, I can post them if yall are interested.

Cleaned boat out.

Performed rudimentary leak test by filling hull woth 4 inches of water. There was a slight drip from the transom where the engine mount is.

Tear down - Ripped out the ugly rigged and very unsafe wiring panel/box. Ripped out trailer harness wiring, and removed the previous owners water logged foam pad on the front mini platform.

This allowed me to start from ground zero.

Work started on Sunday -it is now wednesday and i have built the casting deck, carpeted, and installed using untreated wood that i sealed myself.

Painted the front portion under the casting deck.

Incorporated the gas tank in frame so it and the battery can be moved to the front.

Then I tested the motor and it runs like a champ.

I plan to paint the rest of the hull just a regular brown color and install a trolling motor. I really wanted this build to be an amazing one but frankly, the previous owner shredded this boat frame so I think that build should be saved until I can buy a much better platform to play with.

I also recently got laid off so that has put a kink in funds for a bit so I am just making it functional and reasonable at this time. But it still needs to look nice.

Enjoying your ‘account’ of the build. Almost expected to see a spreadsheet from a boat builder who knows his numbers. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - today it was icy here so I did not have to go to work and what better way to spend the day than working on the boat? Today was one of those days where everything kinda came together and all the boring mock up prep work seemed to really pay off.

Also, as a bonus to you guys, some sparks from the grinder somehow made its way into my tinder fungus (sounds worse than it is, basically tinder fungus is a tree fungus that grows on sick trees.) If you knock this off a tree and use a saw blade it becomes a fine powder that will take even the smallest spark to create an ember... I have this stuff for my bush crafting hobby. Anyways, without further adue here are some pictures for you!

EWH_1978.JPG
EWH_1963.JPG
EWH_1979.JPG
EWH_1961.JPG
EWH_1983.JPG
EWH_2001.JPG
EWH_1998.JPG
EWH_2000.JPG
EWH_1964.JPG
EWH_1970.JPG
EWH_1971.JPG
EWH_1950.JPG
EWH_2005.JPG
EWH_2007.JPG
EWH_2002.JPG
EWH_2003.JPG
EWH_2018.JPG
EWH_2016.JPG

What type of motor did the boat come with?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm an accountant! And a boat owner!

Following along. I live in North Texas and have been to Arbuckle and lake dirty bird. Sounds like you have an awesome motor and dry boat. The rest will come together. I like the gas charged struts! Save a smashed finger or two...

Ethanw08 said:
It came with a Mercury 25 hp electric start with only 30 or so hours on it
OK that makes sense. I thought $2500 was an awful lot of money for that boat

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts