14' Mirrocraft refurbish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Had no clue this was completely carpeted and didn't look too bad when I picked up. Wasn't going home empty handed. Once home, realized it was going to require a major facelift, but thought the hull carpet might be salvageable. Further examination indicated the carpet had to go. It was dirty and soiled and even if I were able to clean, the first time in a rain storm would leave a soaked and heavy boat that wouldn't dry out easily. Didn't want to tackle removing the glue underneath, but it had to be done.

Floor boards were soaked and partially rotted. Pics look better than in person. I am going to try and get a year out of the sides carpet. Might be next winter's project or maybe this year if time allows.
7q9VSYV.jpg

7aAP5pm.jpg

Pulled inside the garage
YjnxLAK.jpg

Started pulling carpet.
iaPFDdA.jpg

wWwPX86.jpg

vtvmNf5.jpg

Note rusted metal on seat front along bottom edge
wxfIdeO.jpg

Let the Kleen Strip adhesive remover process begin
5t17XRW.jpg

WfW3GRg.jpg

Note bottom edge of seat front. I was able to trim the rusted metal off the front and back of the seat, trim about an inch or so of foam from bottom. Got the worse of the glue from seat tops. I will be recovering with carpet or perhaps heavy white aluminum coil stock. The metal under the seats holding the foam will be refaced with heavy aluminum white coil stock.
7eE6pDA.jpg

Pulled transom. Note split in wood. This will be replaced properly.
WsqkjIn.jpg

This is my wish list before the season starts. I have about a month.
Absolutes:

1. Paint inside of hull
2. Build deck supports, put in floors and carpet. Deck will rest on chines at edges between rear and middle bench. Floor will not quite reach chine between middle and front bench to keep center of gravity a bit lower. Floors will have a compartment or two for storage.
3. Cover seat tops with carpet or heavy gage white aluminum coil stock.
4. Cover current metal(foam covers) under seats with white aluminum coil stock.
5. Replace transom.
6. Pull wheels, clean and repack bearings.
7. Adjust winch toward rear of trailer to get boat better balanced for 10% tongue weight. Will require extending bunks.
8. Add rod holders on sides.

Wants:
1. Sand, prime, and repaint trailer.
2. Light sand, prime bare spots, and paint boat.
3. Replace carpet on sides.
4. Build side compartment(s).
5. Replace 8" wheels and tires with 10"

Looks like you are going to be busy for the next month!
I fished out of a bare bones 14' Mirrocraft for years and was happy with it.

Started on the floor support, cut floors to size, started on new transom, refaced the bench seats front and rear metal with coil stock, and went ahead and removed carpet from sides. Old carpet just looked too bad.
Going to start spreading paint and spar urethane next.
jVAR3lO.jpg

b1bxqjX.jpg

8mi7pOs.jpg

Transom replaced. New plywood is not a full 3/4", two pieces is about 1/8" shy of 1 1/2", so had to fabricate metal shim from heavy coil stock to fill out next to the brace. New carpet on the sides above the chines all around. Front casting platform complete, ready for carpet.
Carpet has been installed on the rear and middle deck.
Will start drilling and mounting tomorrow.
T8l0ehd.jpg

Tralwav.jpg

rADkUFZ.jpg

Three brushed coats of lightly thinned gray Rustoleum over primer on the top side. Not auto body quality, but I am quite pleased with it. Floors, front casting deck complete. Did not put storage hatch in floors like I had planned. Just not enough space under floor to make it worth it. Plenty of room under front casting deck for a couple of jackets, cushions, etc.
Tomorrow looks like bolts and hardware on back end, bench seat coverings and mount folding seats. Also going to try and recondition the battery that came with it. Never tried before, but will give it a go. If it doesn't work, will only be out a few bucks for distilled water and epsom salts.
Trying to figure out getting boat off of trailer and flipped to complete bottom and work on trailer.

Xt53WqV.jpg

9FdD4Uo.jpg

f24Rbjv.jpg

It may not matter that the floor is resting between the ribs except that all the stress is concentrated in a couple of places. Looks good though.

Actually, the weight is shared between the bottom v, the first two strakes, and part of the hull on each side. The back is nearly flat and the weight is even across the back. All of the floors are out and the weight of the boat alone is not that great.

I followed your search in the boat house. Great job. Nice to see you're making waves. =D>

Looking good...that’s a lot of work...should be a great fishing rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything on my list is complete except for rod holders, side compartments( which I am not going to do), and 10" wheels(staying with 8 for now). Even replaced grease stops when got into the hubs.
Rod holders will come later.
Battery will go behind front seat.
sV8f7tU.jpg

6giPgSv.jpg

eY3U7Vu.jpg

Es9hDlf.jpg

ijHkFSP.jpg

jHG4WLy.jpg

gShqvll.jpg

thomasdgs said:
Boat looks great! It must feel great to be done too.

Why no side compartments?

I made the floors to be removable. Side compartments would prevent me from doing this. Plus, when I considered what little extra stuff I will be carrying, I don't think I will need. After I spend some time in it, I may discover extra storage will be required, but for now, I am going to let it ride and see how it works.

WV1951 said:

I made the floors to be removable. Side compartments would prevent me from doing this. Plus, when I considered what little extra stuff I will be carrying, I don't think I will need. After I spend some time in it, I may discover extra storage will be required, but for now, I am going to let it ride and see how it works.
Looks great. Congrats! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Added some on the cheap rod storage. No investment. Scrap wood. Already had holes on one side.

looks like total investment is coming in around $1250, not counting registration fees. Make that $1300; just ordered light weight cover. Boat will be stored under roof. Want to keep dust, pollen, etc. out.
wEDg6NG.jpg

Latest posts