Where to mount depth finder/fish locator on tiller boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpaMike

Reaction score
Hello again and happy Saturday!

Should be the first warm Saturday of the year and I'm looking forward to making some progress on the boat today.

I bought a used fish locator. I don't expect it to actually find fish, but I do want to know depth and see if there is any structure on the bottom and it will do that.

In any boat I've been in, it was extremely useful to see the depth while under power to know where we were on topo maps or to avoid shallow surprises.

With a tiller motor, where is a good place to mount the display? The cable length is going to limit me from going too far forward. The transducer mounting block is in the stern on the port side.

Trolling motor will be bow mounted, but control pedal is wireless, so no cable length restriction on that control.

Driver's seat will be on the starboard side of the furthest bench to the stern in the photo. There is a little shelf on the port, stern with the electrical switches and this is where the power is for the unit. Initially planned to mount it there but would be looking backward to see it.

Maybe that's OK, but it seems awkward.

Thoughts?
5ce41dc65695e3985dda3a325cb0e134.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

d25a6fc7ddff47d036d369877acf70f5.jpg

That’s where I mounted mine. You do have to look back to see it but I don’t find it bothersome. Plus it’s out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a tiller setup as well.
I mounted mine right on the driver's seat, port side.
Its easy to view while underway.

Attachments

• 678A0013(1).JPG
    678A0013(1).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,518
Weldorthemagnificent said:
d25a6fc7ddff47d036d369877acf70f5.jpg

That’s where I mounted mine. You do have to look back to see it but I don’t find it bothersome. Plus it’s out of the way.

Thank you! Maybe it won't be bad there after all. I like that it will be out of the way. I appreciate it!

jasper60103 said:
I have a tiller setup as well.
I mounted mine right on the driver's seat, port side.
Its easy to view while underway.
That was the other place I was considering. Any issues with dock lines or anything catching on it there? Thanks!

Mine is also on the left side of the bench. They get bumped around no matter where they end up.
Is that a 16 ft Lund?

I have seen guys make a board with a couple legs that “saddle” the bench seat. That way you can move it to suit.

GrandpaMike said:

Should be the first warm Saturday of the year and I'm looking forward to making some progress on the boat today.

I bought a used fish locator. I don't expect it to actually find fish, but I do want to know depth and see if there is any structure on the bottom and it will do that.

In any boat I've been in, it was extremely useful to see the depth while under power to know where we were on topo maps or to avoid shallow surprises.

With a tiller motor, where is a good place to mount the display? The cable length is going to limit me from going too far forward. The transducer mounting block is in the stern on the port side.

Trolling motor will be bow mounted, but control pedal is wireless, so no cable length restriction on that control.

Driver's seat will be on the starboard side of the furthest bench to the stern in the photo. There is a little shelf on the port, stern with the electrical switches and this is where the power is for the unit. Initially planned to mount it there but would be looking backward to see it.

Thoughts?

I would put it beside the cup holder on port side, of the back bench. Or in front of the driver on starboard side, on the middle seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

water bouy said:
Mine is also on the left side of the bench. They get bumped around no matter where they end up.
Is that a 16 ft Lund?
Yes it is. Impressive that you can tell from that photo. I ended up mounting it on the bench this afternoon. I think it's going to work out fine there. I appreciate everyone's input!

gatorglenn said:
GrandpaMike said:

Thoughts?

I would put it beside the cup holder on port side, of the back bench. Or in front of the driver on starboard side, on the middle seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! I untied the cables and they would not reach the starboard side without splicing the power wire. So I went with the port side bench.

Thanks again!

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I have seen guys make a board with a couple legs that “saddle” the bench seat. That way you can move it to suit.

My son in law suggested something like that too. We kicked the idea around a bit but finally decided to mount it to the bench. Interestingly, I found three screw holes in the bench in the same spot already, so it appears there was one there before.

Thanks again!
-Mike-

GrandpaMike said:

Thoughts?

56b1f89e747d38be2d35be3943cbdb6c.jpg

Since I sit on the right side of the boat as I’m on the tiller, I mounted mine off to the right rail. I also added Hobie H-Rails though. So it is mounted with hobie h-rail ram mount. It’s on there sturdy and can be moved and adjusted.

GrandpaMike said:

Thoughts?

13e465422ccf3a72277f46a6176efa08.jpg

Here is another shot from the side.

Gobbi-M1 said:
GrandpaMike said:

Thoughts?

Since I sit on the right side of the boat as I’m on the tiller, I mounted mine off to the right rail. I also added Hobie H-Rails though. So it is mounted with hobie h-rail ram mount. It’s on there sturdy and can be moved and adjusted.

That rail is really nice! I've never seen those before. Nice setup!

-Mike-

GrandpaMike said:
Gobbi-M1 said:
GrandpaMike said:

Thoughts?

That rail is really nice! I've never seen those before. Nice setup!

-Mike-

Thanks,
They’re stock components for Hobie Kayaks, the Pro Angler 12 or 14 in particular. But I ordered some for my Klamath 14’ tinny. I think they look clean and good functionality.

Marcos

jtf said:
A mounting rail...Yes! Something to look into. Does it screw into gunnel, mine are round.
Mine are, but mine have a flat top along the top side of gunnel. If you are able to drill holes top and bottom, it still should work with rounded gunnel because you can tighten from top and bottom until no movement. Aside from that not sure how secure they’d be.

Marcos

This is a mount that would work for both my boats. Portable with an articulated arm. Unfortunately, the factory rep only covers the Helix 5 without mentioning the mount.

Anybody know who makes it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--A6r2OSdA

jtf said:
This is a mount that would work for both my boats. Portable with an articulated arm. Unfortunately, the factory rep only covers the Helix 5 without mentioning the mount.

Anybody know who makes it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--A6r2OSdA

Looks like one made by BalZout. At $175, it isn't exactly an economy model.

Balzout .png

Yeah, don't want to spend a 1/4 of what the unit cost for a mount. There aren't any big box outdoor stores in two hours of here, it's hard to compare with pictures or would chance ordering one.

Looks like Ram makes a swing-away adjustable for about $60. My tiller handle requires left hand operation (Tohotsu), so the unit needs to be to my right and out of the way. Maybe on the floor or the top of a rib below the gunnel?

I like those Hobie rails if they put the unit inside the gunnel. Do they offer a shorty rail?

My bow trolling motor has a lead for electronics hook up but that will put it too forward to see from the tiller.