Plywood decking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorglenn

Reaction score
What to seal new plywood decking, Spars carpet going on top. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the old times formula to seal plywood.
I can't remember the ratios at the moment but it's Spar varnish or spar urethane, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirts.

2 parts min spirits, one part spar, one part boiled linseed oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainline9 said:

That's it.
Thanks
And use exterior grade plywood.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Mainline9 said:

That's it.
Thanks
ok guys thanks .
One more question please. What does the boiling do to the linseed oil. Thanks

gatorglenn said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Mainline9 said:

That's it.
Thanks
ok guys thanks .

This is what I found:

Boiled linseed oil is not boiled in the way most people think of as boiling. Metallic solvents are added to the raw oil that cause it to dry faster. The process is similar to boiling, which is why it is referred to as boiled linseed. Traditionally, linseed oil is applied to wood and other surfaces as a drying aid. Raw linseed oil is best used on wood items when drying time is not an issue. These items include wooden gutters and sawhorses. Alternatively, boiled linseed oil works better for wood furniture, decks and any items that get heavy use. Therefore, choose the boiled variety when fast drying is required.

It is important to note that although linseed oil is derived from nature, it should not be applied to wooden chopping boards meant for food. Another thing to keep in mind is that linseed oil is not a wood preservative. It has no UV light protection, and applying it to wood provides no resistance to insect, fungus or mildew damage.

from reference.com

FormerParatrooper said:
That's it.
Thanks
And use exterior grade plywood.[/quote] ok guys thanks .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

This is what I found:

Boiled linseed oil is not boiled in the way most people think of as boiling. Metallic solvents are added to the raw oil that cause it to dry faster. The process is similar to boiling, which is why it is referred to as boiled linseed. Traditionally, linseed oil is applied to wood and other surfaces as a drying aid. Raw linseed oil is best used on wood items when drying time is not an issue. These items include wooden gutters and sawhorses. Alternatively, boiled linseed oil works better for wood furniture, decks and any items that get heavy use. Therefore, choose the boiled variety when fast drying is required.

It is important to note that although linseed oil is derived from nature, it should not be applied to wooden chopping boards meant for food. Another thing to keep in mind is that linseed oil is not a wood preservative. It has no UV light protection, and applying it to wood provides no resistance to insect, fungus or mildew damage.

from reference.com[/quote]

Only thing I've ever used BLO for is homemade turning finish (BLO, DNA, & shellac, IIRC). It really brings out the wood grain. I've yet to make the Old Timer's Finish.

Thanks.