New guy with a "new" project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chbarnha

Reaction score
Any advice on getting this boat straight would be appreciated. I have been looking at this forum the last few weeks and finally decided to join. I acquired this boat about two weeks ago for the high cost of 2 cases of beer.... couple of the old guys I hunt with wanted to get rid of it. The one with the title has been out of town so I haven't picked up any of the title or registration paper work yet. Any ideas as to what brand it may be? The boat is a 16' xtra wide with a 25hp mariner. The motor hasn't been run in about 7 years but looks to be in pretty decent shape. Any input on these motors is appreciated as ive only had omc or Johnson motors. I know I need to do the plugs, fuel filter and water pump before I run it but any other suggestions? Thanks for your help guys as this is my first project. The trailer probably needs the most work, but for two cases of beer I started out pretty cheap.

I don't know what the plan for it is going to be yet, I don't know how much ill trick it out from the get go or if ill just get it seaworthy at first. I filled it up with water the other day and found no leaks anywhere. Don't know if I want to go the bass john route or just the river running basic john boat route yet.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 4,408
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,408
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 4,408
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 4,408
Hull registration number (HIN) off of the stern tag ( if it has one) will tell the year and manufacturer. Same with the engine serial number.

In fact, in many cases, the engine serial number year will be the same as the boat year.

stern tag is gone, I looked everywhere when I cleaned it up to see if I could find any info on it, and its all gone. don't know if they repainted it and removed it or what.

Depending on your State laws, a boat without a HIN could be considered stolen, until proven otherwise. Of course, it could have been produced before HIN's were mandated.

Was it registered with the State at any time that you know of?

yeah it is registered, the guy is just out of town for the next three weeks. Must be nice to be retired. He has all the paperwork and title and registration for it, I just haven't been able to get it yet. Was just trying to see what yall thought it was.

Might have been a better idea to give the two cases of beer to the guy who has the paperwork. :LOL2: (just kidding- I know what you mean)

A lot of guys here suggest using the boat for awhile before making any major mod's. That way you will be much more comfortable with whatever plan you come up with. I think it is pretty good advice.

I know what your saying about giving the beer to the guy with the paperwork!!! HE was one of them but he had to catch a flight to fla and said he had to dig it out. They are two brothers, apparently they bought it together about 15 years ago. Im not sure if it was new when they bought it or not.... didn't really think to ask. I think im just going to get the motor running for the time being and enjoy it for this summer. That's the plan right now anyway.

For me the and the type of fishing I do, a front deck is all I need....storage added under it. Is the motor seized?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That motor looks exactly like my Mercury 25 XD. Here is a link to the parts niche that has helped me a few times with it. You'll probably want to do a water pump kit and a carb kit before trying to get it running.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/25xd/7209533-thru-0a730006-can

well we got the motor running, need to put an impeller on it and a carburetor rebuild but the motor does run. The reason they couldn't get it running, the kill switch had a short in it. It was never getting fire. Pretty satisfied with that. I also need to order the plastic push to prime piece as that was fairly fragile and broke when we were removing it but that is ok.

Got the impeller put on last night and the carburetor kit minus one of the diaphragms it didn't have in the kit. Ordered that tonight and should be here by Tuesday, the local marine shop didn't have the gasket/diaphragm I needed. It is getting close to going on a test ride anyway. ONce I get the motor straight then I can start messing with the boat. Planning on picking up a wiring harness in the morning and pulling the boat off and getting the trailer wired up.

well, the motor runs like a top... got the other gasket put in the carburetor and messed with the kill switch. The motor started running on the 3rd pull. I left it running for about 45 mins in a barrel and it ran like a top. Got it mounted on the boat and think im gonna try to take it for a test ride later this week. Any advice on how to run it now that its rebuilt? should I take it easy or just go to it.

Looks like a great setup good luck with it!

Motor might take some adjustment to the carb while you're on the water, but you should be good to go with it otherwise. Just bring a flat head screw driver with you in case you need to play with the mixture screw.

Ok guys, im about to order a new wiring harness and submersible trailer light kit. Any recommendations as to what kit to get? Just want to make sure I get a quality kit the first time!

thank you sir, that's actually the kit I was looking at on amazon, but I wasn't sure if they were quality or not

370D17D5-7A76-4F54-955A-EAF6F3380991.jpegWell I started a new job down here at the papermill, so haven’t had time to mess with the project until yesterday. Finally started framing in the front deck. I used 1”by 1/8 aluminum angle and decided to run the front deck all the way to the middle bench seat to give me plenty of room for under deck storage and such. Haven’t framed in for the seat pedestal base yet but did make some headway anyway.

Attachments

• 0D95BD45-3656-462F-A73D-8FFFC4D81A98.jpeg
    0D95BD45-3656-462F-A73D-8FFFC4D81A98.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4,663

Latest posts