Anyone ever install rod tubes in Jon boat benches?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooknhorns

Reaction score
40477b2a35af7e4ddffcd95c8011e5d4.png
Has anyone ever installed these in their benches of there Jon boat? I do a lot of plumbing and I believe I could use 1.5” tail pieces. Are benches hollow on an alumacraft 1648?!?
15267853cc5097c5a7363aeca22b4d68.png

The benches are likely filled with foam.
I've installed them. I went through the front bench deck. 1-7/8" hole saw was perfect cut for 1-1/2" PVC.
Your bench likely has foam in it, but you should be able to cut into it with a hole saw and then cut away enough material with a knife to get the pipe in there.

-CN- said:
... you should be able to cut into it with a hole saw and then cut away enough material with a knife to get the pipe in there.
I needed to go into the foam a good foot or more, so I took an aluminum pipe of diameter for the plastic tubes to be used. I put an edge on the pipe by cutting away the ID of the pipe to form a sharp edge and just pushed & twisted the pipe through the foam to make the needed hole. Wetting the pipe by dipping it into a bucket of water helped it cut smoothly. Removed pipe and starting snapping off the cored piece, if it didn't fully remove the core. Works slick.

Once you get through the aluminum you can just get a spade bit and a shop-vac if you don't want to be getting fancy. Keep the shop vac going while you drill or you'll be cleaning up little foam pellets forever.