Sylvan 1990 Bass Catcher project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TequilaTony

Reaction score
My brother-n-law purchased this boat, motor, trailer combination for $800 and sold it to me last Christmas. We are in the process of gutting and rebuilding this summer.

The carpet and decking were in severely bad shape. After removing it, we found the factory flotation foam was also waterlogged so it got removed as well. Another issue with the boat is that it appears it was run aground once causing a minor hole and leak. The was patched by a previous owner but I don't think they took the time to repair correctly. We've now heated, reshaped, re-welded, and will be sealing the hole.

Lot's of decisions to make. I'd like to rebuild into a better fishing platform then was designed in the early 90s. We will be creating a new internal structure for ample storage, foaming, and re-decking.

Attachments

• IMG_3430.JPG
    IMG_3430.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,094
  • IMG_3433.JPG
    IMG_3433.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,094
  • IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,094
I forgot to mention that the original owner had titled this as a "1990 Bass Catcher". I can't verify that. All my internet searching has only found one other image of a sylvan troller with this exact paint scheme. A search of "Bass Catcher" appeared to show a completely different model.

The USCG tags says it's a Model: 15RSO. Any members know anything about this boat or the what RSO means, please provide info. This my first boat and/or boat project :)

Thanks,
Tony

Day 1

Four hours of demo completed. After hacking small chunks of foam out using a claw hammer, we figured out that a sharp garden spade was much more efficient at foam removal. The foam is fairly easy to pry off the aluminum bottom. What I don't understand is why the manufactures poured foam this way because it essentially blocks the pathway for water drainage from the sides to the center. They did leave the center channel free of foam but the v crease in the bottom was too shallow and easily clogged. Which didn't allow for good drainage from front to back of boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,056
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,056
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 2,056
$800 is a great starting point - you've got a lot there between the seat bases, posts, outboard, hull & trailer. Nice job cleaning it up so fast!

Hey Jethro,

Nice to hear from you! This is my first boat ever. Trying to rebuild it right. I love the fact the aluminum is a foundation you can build on. Only researched Sylvan since buying the boat but looks like the made descent fishing boats until 2014.

Tony

Day 3 & 4

The re-framing part of the bow is 80% complete. Raised the floor 6 inches up from the factory and added an additional 18-20 inches in depth. This will allow for a larger fishing platform and more storage. The original live well is in place and braced. Everything seems rock solid. The debate now is over aluminum thickness needed for the deck. A lot of guys are saying .09 is plenty thick for a floor backed with flotation foam with hatch covers at .125 thick.

Any input here from the community is greatly appreciated.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,971
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,971
That’s a steal for $800! Although a lot of work behind you in still ahead of you ...

By that RSO model number, I see many online postings for a Sylvan “Sea Monster” model, see link:

https://boatspecs.iboats.com/Sylvan_Marine__Sea_Monster/bp/33br1491s11589

onthewater102,

Thanks for the advice. I've read similar threads that make the same suggestion. As for the foam, I've done a ton of research and landed on making billets of the XPS pink stuff you purchase at big box. I can shape that and seal it with an epoxy coating to protect it from any chance of fuel spill. I've already bought the foam. I was going to bu AB but lots of videos still show water absorption with the new stuff. I think sealed pods would be better. I know AB is convenient for manufactures and makes perfect sense as long as the compartment you are placing it in is completely sealed. In my case, when I was digging out the old stuff, it was very evident that with the exception of the center channel, foam to the floor was blocking drainage pathways.

I probably have a tendency to over think it but the pods will rest on the top portion of the ribs yet still allow water to drain from the side down to the center. I know that if you store your boat in a covered area, all this is a mute point. This one was obviously stored outside and uncovered for years.

DaleH,

I agree that it looks like the Sea Monster, but, that one has a completely different paint scheme. Lots of similarities though. I reached out to Sylvan and am still awaiting a response. Their legacy catalogs on the website don't go back that far :) SRO must stand for something. It's a classification that appears on more than one model.

Tony

After pricing aluminum sheet, I'm thinking sealed marine grade ply is a better way for me to go. Ply is 1/4 the cost and only weighs 6 more pounds per 4x8 sheet then .09 aluminum.

Tony

Thanks. For that price I'll just line the cavities with a piece of FRP at the bottom and painter's plastic to keep the expanding foam from blocking the drains/ adhering to the sides of the boat & pour expanding urethane foam from the same supplier.

Latest posts