12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajanesz

Reaction score
Posting my work on the total overhaul of a 12' v hull sea king.

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 4,439
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 4,439
  • IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 4,439
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 4,439
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 4,439
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 4,439
  • IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 4,439
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 4,435
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 4,435
Nice build and transformation!

But WHOA ... are those hull ID numbers big enough? ... thought the durn boat was from Texas for a minute thar' ...

Guy from Texas once told me that he was on a lake ... and it took him all day to get to the other side. I replied that I used to have an unreliable small OB like that once ...

He didn't get my joke ...

DaleH said:
Nice build and transformation!

But WHOA ... are those hull ID numbers big enough? ... thought the durn boat was from Texas for a minute thar' ...

Guy from Texas once told me that he was on a lake ... and it took him all day to get to the other side. I replied that I used to have an unreliable small OB like that once ...

He didn't get my joke ...

Thanks! - Hope to be bummin around the small inland lakes of Wisconsin one im finished up with this guy.

Yeah the Numbers were massive. That's one major reason why i wanted to strip and repaint. Will post final pictures when i finish the cubbies and install seats/accessories

Prawndave said:
Good job this is a really nice build.

Thanks! - Update: Got the other side cubby on. Hopefully, the front cubby, pedestals and seats this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 4,234
For anyone who is following this conversion, I was able to install the seats as well some rod holders. I had originally bought (2) 7" economy pedestals for the seats to mount on but it turned out to be too high. I didn't feel comfortable sitting above the boat that far and raising the center of gravity in the boat so i ended up making some makeshift pedestals for the swivels to mount on. They ended up being wood blocks that I carpeted that stood about 3" or so.

I plan on installing some cupholders and a few other accessories to finish her up in the next few weekends!

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 4,157
  • IMG_1758.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4,157
Very nice end result. It looks like you found the perfect medium between open space and storage compartments.

looks good! what type of material did you use on top of the plywood?

See you on the water,

Brian

bikerider said:
Very nice end result. It looks like you found the perfect medium between open space and storage compartments.

Thanks! The storage compartments didn't end up as big as I had hoped but they are still big enough for odds and ends (fish finder, measuring devices, water bottles/beverages, etc) but I realized the that when you are working with a 12' boat, you start to lose space pretty quickly!

86tuning said:
looks good! what type of material did you use on top of the plywood?

See you on the water,

Brian

Brian,

Once I put the plywood down, I used a sealer. After that, I actually used a cheap vinyl plank flooring material. I glued down the plank flooring to the plywood and the install was pretty easy. The nice thing about vinyl plank flooring is that it is completely waterproof, easy to clean and relatively light weight (and looks pretty nice to boot). The only issue I ran into once I got out on the water is that it is a tad slippery once it gets wet (as opposed to carpet or what not). I may end up just putting a little rubber shop mat on top of the vinyl plank so that slipping isn't an issue but otherwise i was super happy with the choice to put it on.

Let me know if you need any other info!

ajanesz said:
bikerider said:

Thanks! The storage compartments didn't end up as big as I had hoped but they are still big enough for odds and ends (fish finder, measuring devices, water bottles/beverages, etc) but I realized the that when you are working with a 12' boat, you start to lose space pretty quickly!

I know exactly what you mean. Mine is a 12 foot as well. You have to get clever with space saving.

bikerider said:
ajanesz said:
bikerider said:

I know exactly what you mean. Mine is a 12 foot as well. You have to get clever with space saving.

Totally Agree.

Did you do any renovation work on yours or are you looking to start?

[/quote]

Totally Agree.

Did you do any renovation work on yours or are you looking to start?[/quote]

Yes, I have had it for a few years now. There are so many innovative builds/ideas here on tinboats that have inspired me. I will post up a pic or two if I can find them. Fortunately the boat is pretty solid so I did not have to do any repairs to it. I have it currently setup with a gas outboard, electric trolling motor, fish finder, rod holders, cupholders (the essentials haha), anchor lock, seats and am in the process of building a small bow deck for it.

bikerider said:
Yes, I have had it for a few years now. There are so many innovative builds/ideas here on tinboats that have inspired me. I will post up a pic or two if I can find them. Fortunately the boat is pretty solid so I did not have to do any repairs to it. I have it currently setup with a gas outboard, electric trolling motor, fish finder, rod holders, cupholders (the essentials haha), anchor lock, seats and am in the process of building a small bow deck for it.

Sounds awesome. Yeah if you find any photos, you should post them. I would love to see them - especially what you did with the seats. I'm always looking to make improvements and it sounds like you have had a lot of success with yours. I wanted swivels with pedestals but i felt that even the 7" pedestals were too tall and would raise the center of gravity way too much so I ended up just making carpeted blocks to mount the swivel on (kinda hard to see in the photos above). Ended up being around 4" instead of 7". Any recommendations on this???

I think your seats will work just fine. I went back and looked at your pics and see the blocks you are talking about. I thought the same of mine before trying them out. I have them on clamp on swivel bases and my benches in the boat are kind of high, but to my surprise they worked out beautifully. The boat is still very stable. I had three people including myself on the lake all day and I couldn't believe how well the boat did. In all honesty the seats are one of the best mods. It makes the boat so much more comfortable.

I started with a bare 12ft Starcraft boat and after using it for a few years with just a trolling motor and battery, decided that I wanted to get it better suited to fishing. I like the boat to be organized as much as possible and wanted to optimize space and usability. I added a hook for the bow line, two folding seats on swivels, four rod holders, an anchor lock and danforth anchor, cupholders, a fish finder, a small toolbox, and gas outboard that I made from an Evinrude 6hp lower unit and Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp motor that I had laying around. The current projects are a small bow deck (you'll see the cardboard template in the pics), guide ons for the trailer (which are unfinished in the pic) and a 3 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for the outboard. My plan for the bow deck is to keep a small cooler under it for the fish I catch and a small duffel bag or box for extra sunscreen etc. I ratchet strapped down the seat clamps, fishfinder block mount and battery so it wouldn't bounce around while driving. It's not for everyone, but for me it worked perfectly. I wanted the ability to move the seats if needed and the fish finder if it wasn't in the best place in the boat. I have had a lot of fun taking the boat out on the lake and modifying it.

Attachments

• starcraft1.jpg
    starcraft1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,075
  • starcraft2.jpg
    starcraft2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • starcraft6.jpg
    starcraft6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • starcraft5.jpg
    starcraft5.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • starcraft4.jpg
    starcraft4.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • starcraft3.jpg
    starcraft3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • starcraft7.jpg
    starcraft7.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,075
bikerider said:
I think your seats will work just fine. I went back and looked at your pics and see the blocks you are talking about. I thought the same of mine before trying them out. I have them on clamp on swivel bases and my benches in the boat are kind of high, but to my surprise they worked out beautifully. The boat is still very stable. I had three people including myself on the lake all day and I couldn't believe how well the boat did. In all honesty the seats are one of the best mods. It makes the boat so much more comfortable.

I started with a bare 12ft Starcraft boat and after using it for a few years with just a trolling motor and battery, decided that I wanted to get it better suited to fishing. I like the boat to be organized as much as possible and wanted to optimize space and usability. I added a hook for the bow line, two folding seats on swivels, four rod holders, an anchor lock and danforth anchor, cupholders, a fish finder, a small toolbox, and gas outboard that I made from an Evinrude 6hp lower unit and Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp motor that I had laying around. The current projects are a small bow deck (you'll see the cardboard template in the pics), guide ons for the trailer (which are unfinished in the pic) and a 3 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for the outboard. My plan for the bow deck is to keep a small cooler under it for the fish I catch and a small duffel bag or box for extra sunscreen etc. I ratchet strapped down the seat clamps, fishfinder block mount and battery so it wouldn't bounce around while driving. It's not for everyone, but for me it worked perfectly. I wanted the ability to move the seats if needed and the fish finder if it wasn't in the best place in the boat. I have had a lot of fun taking the boat out on the lake and modifying it.

Thanks for posting these! I like the strap idea for the fish finder - i hadn't thought about doing it that way. I have one that I want to mount somewhere but I'm not sure where yet. Do you mind me asking what type / how you installed the cupholders? I didn't really see them in the photos you posted. I think it's too late to do inset cupholders but maybe something that mounts on to the side somewhere?

ajanesz said:
Thanks for posting these! I like the strap idea for the fish finder - i hadn't thought about doing it that way. I have one that I want to mount somewhere but I'm not sure where yet. Do you mind me asking what type / how you installed the cupholders? I didn't really see them in the photos you posted. I think it's too late to do inset cupholders but maybe something that mounts on to the side somewhere?

You're welcome :). My first choice would be inset cupholders too, but since I don't have cabinets or wood seats I made do with the cheap plastic cup holders you can find at almost any auto parts store. I have a couple smaller ones, like what would hold a can of pop and two larger ones that will hold a larger thermos bottle. On the back you will see I just hooked them over the edge of the transom and then used the existing bolts going into the transom to secure them in place. I put a piece of tape over the screw heads to keep them from scaring my water bottles. I wanted a cup holder for my passenger(s) too so I had to get a little creative for the side mounted one. I did not want to drill holes in the boat so I cut a few small pieces of scrap wood I had into a mount that would basically clamp to the gunwale after being screwed together. Then I just cut the very end off the plastic cup holder, screwed it down and painted the wood silver to tie in with the boat. In hindsight I would have cut the bottom wood piece a bit shorter but oh well. The rear cupholders have held up well. I've been out on the water many times since adding them. The side one has done well so far, but time will tell if it stays that way.

Attachments

• Resized_20181204_144120_2476.jpeg
    Resized_20181204_144120_2476.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Resized_20181204_144105_1612.jpeg
    Resized_20181204_144105_1612.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Resized_20181204_144026_8587.jpeg
    Resized_20181204_144026_8587.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 1,034
IMG_0547.jpgJust wanted to post an update.

Got rid of the vinyl plank floor and went to carpet. The carpet helps with reducing weight and the vinyl plank was often slippery.

See you all on the water!

Latest posts